High praise for sumac, uses

As WFD conversations drift to individual ingredients, a discussion surrounding zaatar led to the spice sumac and its fragrant use in a variety of dishes. The first time I purchased sumac from a spice store, I was told it is a nice sub for fresh lemons in a dish adding a similar tartness. Beyond making a zaatar mix, I have used it to coat the rim of a cocktail glass, in scrambled eggs and in bastami rice. Many recipes calling for saute onions, include sumac.

What wonderful ways do you use sumac?

Rooster

1 Like

Nothing spectacular here, Iā€™m afraid.

Itā€™s always sprinkled into fattoush. And it (or zaā€™atar, which can include it already, depending on the mix) gets sprinkled onto khobez bread before it goes into the oven for , literally, 10 seconds to crisp up. When I remember, I also add it to toum - the Lebanese ā€œaioliā€ which traditionally doesnt include sumac.

2 Likes

Toum. Light and airy dip. My first experience was buying a small container from an Armenian deli. Really nice smeared on poultry right out of the oven. Didnā€™t think about sumac, good deal.

Bread is just the best vessel for every flavor.!

1 Like

Traditionally served alongside the Lebanese/Syrian/Palestinian shish taouk (chicken kebab)

2 Likes

My Aunt sent me this link. When I mixed it up I used whole spices and stored in a repurposed jelly jar. When I used it I hand grind m&p , warm the olive oil add blend and serve with warmed naan, lavash or french bag.

2 Likes

Lamb
Roasted potatoes
Roasted chicken with thyme
Baked pita chips

A great party snack: Toss whole almonds with olive oil, put on a baking sheet and sprinkle with a combo of dried thyme, sesame seeds, sumac, and kosher salt. Roast at 400Ā° for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until a deep golden brown.

4 Likes

For the sumac all you need is an Ottolenghi cookbook :joy:
https://ottolenghi.co.uk/tomatoes-with-sumac-onions-and-pine-nuts-shop

And these are just a few of the vegetarian ones! He has more for chicken, lamb patties and rabbit saddle (?!) as well as more veg recipes

8 Likes

I LOVE sumac!

Use it for tartness anywhere you might use lemon or lime but donā€™t want wetness. Add to quick pickled anything (onions esp). Great on grilled meats and in ground meat mixtures like kebabs, sprinkled over dips and yogurt, even rice.

The first (non)recipe I tried and loved was this: toss chicken pieces with sumac, salt, and lots of sliced onions; line a baking dish with pita wedges; place chicken and onion mixture over pita, and drizzle with oil, and bake till chicken is done and pita is crisp around the edges. Itā€™s called Musakhan or Mā€™sakhan with many variations.

9 Likes

Thanks for getting this discussion revved up, Rooster. I LOVE sumac!

Serious Eats has some nice ideas. Ice cream topping, anyone?

I sprinkle sumac on homemade hummus and white bean dip.

My riff on the flavors of Turkish manti - elbow macaroni tossed with jarred Turkish hot pepper paste, butter, and whole milk yogurt and topped with a ton of sumac and Urfa biber.

I have an ā€œUzbekā€ marinade for lamb. Although I doubt sumac is used there, it is tasty:
ground cumin
cumin seed
coriander
lots of garlic
Urfa
Aleppo
olive oil
water
smoked salt
minced white onion
sumac

This Iraqi ā€œburgerā€ recipe calls to me:

And I adore Sabrina Ghayourā€™s blood orange and radicchio salad with sumac dressing: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/blood-orange-and-radicchio-salad-hn3q3r5wzz7

More ideas to come!

3 Likes

:+1:outstanding. Iā€™m learning alot!

@ChristinaM, the Iraqi recipe for burgers with sumac link isnā€™t opening.

1 Like

Can you buy manti or do you make the dumplings?

1 Like

Revised!

1 Like

I just use macaroni noodles! Beef tortellini would be a reasonable sub.

1 Like

Clever! I found a recipe link for making the dumplings. My niece has been stopping by on wknds for a guitar lesson and some baking. i think trying dumplings might me a fun alternative. If we mess up Iā€™ll boil elbowsšŸ˜‹

1 Like

12 posts were split to a new topic: Baking powder and baking soda for meat, thoughts?

Loving sumac this month, although canā€™t recall in what. I feel like Iā€™ve been so many places, and cooked and eaten so many things. Iā€™m recalling garbanzos, cauliflower, both of which Iā€™m halfway through preparing again this week.
Following!

Well and of course both sumac or zaā€™atar is more than welcome ontop of hummus!
Canā€™t remember where i was but the restaurant served homemade pita chips with zaā€™atar as a free snacky thing at the table (and to use up day old pita probably!)

1 Like

Iā€™m going to try it with some roasted chickpeas today.

1 Like

I saved this ā€œrecipeā€ for chicken schawarma from an episode of Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives". It hails from a restaurant called Zaytoon:

Sumac

Crushed red pepper

Tomato paste

Garlic minced

Spanish paprika

Cumin

Coriander

Salt

Oregano

White Vinegar

Black pepper

Marinate chicken thighs and roast on a spit with an onion on top.

3 Likes

Thanks! Sounds really good and easy.

1 Like