What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

Rule of thumb; assume olives have pits unless proven otherwise.

6 Likes

I just bought sumac last week. Thxs for the inspiration.

3 Likes

Maybe raise the temperature for the final 5-10 minutes.

2 Likes

I’m going to bake a test pc of the pastry only to see what our oven prefers😉. Looks like the Oven has the last word.

1 Like

Will get this eventually, never been cut by mandonlin so far, was too nervous always proceed slowly, but cut several times by the grater, lol!

1 Like

I have bought a big jar of sumac, don’t know how to use it… :thinking:

1 Like

I’m mixing half oz with zaatar, white sesame seeds, thyme, kosher salt and ground black pepper for a dipping mix with olive oil for warmed bread and the other half oz. for lamb dishes.

What did you have in mind?

2 Likes

Sounds perfect to me.

WFDs!

Simple no fuss meal: bucatini with Gorgonzola cream sauce, leek, bacon and pine nuts.

Head cheese with pistachio and green salad

Sunday noon: Alsatian Devil’s pork shoulder with mustard, a brune beer, onions and bay leaves. Recipe here.

Dinner: octopus and squids with chilis, fish sauce, lime juice, lemongrass with some greens.

Husband craved for pizzas for days, bought home 2 Monday night:
Parma ham, buffalo mozzarella, parmesan, arugula and tomato

Buffalo mozzarella, bell peppers, spianata, nduja, tomato and onion. Hot like it should, excellent!

9 Likes

LOL, I need to get some of this now!
I wonder if I can make my mix. Too much spice at home, and can never finish using them on time.

1 Like

Such interesting meals. Food combinations that don’t occur to me. Wow, @naf.

1 Like

Thx. Some dishes were made limited to what were left in the fridge. Trying the best to use up the ingredients.

Sure. I make mixes from whole spice I grind in a small coffee grinder or buy small oz batches pre ground. I placed a recent order with World Spice Merchants. Sumac, zaatar, mace, herbs de provence, hazelnut dukkah. Some blends in whole form, some single spice.

1 Like

I try to use up food stuffs too. Bothers me when food is wasted.

2 Likes

Do you have a good recipe of Zaatar?

I have both a small electric one, and a manual one, both coffee grinder for this usage. The electric one can mixed really fine, but needs a bigger batch.

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: High praise for sumac, uses

I have only been cut by mine cleaning it. I was so mad last time I threw it out!

Thanks! I like the fact of drying fresh thyme, and the extra (Mexican) oregano seems like a good idea.

BTW, Mexican oregano vs Italian oregano, what’s the difference?

Ouch! Sorry for that! I always use a toothbrush for cleaning those tools.