February 2024 COTM Nominations

Time (past time, really) to nominate a book for February. I’m already tired of winter, so maybe we could escape somewhere warm? A trip to the Caribbean via our kitchens?

Wherever you’d like to go, if you wish to nominate a book, put the title in ALL CAPS in the comments below. Book titles not in all caps will not be counted. You may nominate as many books as you like, but do so with the intention of cooking along should one of your nominees be selected.

Nominations will close on Monday, January 22, at 10am EST. The nominations will then be tallied and the most-nominated books will be put up for a vote.

Meanwhile, there is still plenty of time to join us in cooking from our January selection, From the Oven to the Table. Visit the COTM archive for a list of our past selections.

BLACK FOOD and ETHIOPIA.

I’m totally up for BLACK FOOD or ETHIOPIA.

I’ll add…
FLAVOR + US, by Rahanna Bisseret Martinez (this is from Bryant Terry’s imprint, and came out last May).
VEG-TABLE by Nik Sharma
VEGETABLE REVELATIONS - by Steven Satterfield
SIMPLY WEST AFRICAN - by Pierre Thiam
BLACK RICAN VEGAN - by Lyana Blount

Gotta add MEZCLA to the list. Bought a while back when the ebook was on sale and I’d love to dive in.

KRISTINA CHO MONTH (EatChoFood blog, Mooncakes & Milkbread cookbook)
ETHIOPIA
RUKMINI IYER MONTH
SABRINA GHAYOUR MONTH
DISHOOM: From Bombay with Love
HEIRLOOM KITCHEN: Heritage Recipes and Family Stories from the Tables of Immigrant Women

I’m intrigued by VEGETABLE REVELATIONS. I could definitely get into ETHIOPIA.

VEGETABLE REVELATIONS. I’ve had it out from the library twice and could use some extra push to actually use it. Lovely book.

I could get behind Vegetable Revelations but need to see if my library has the ebook.

The Ixta Belfrage / Ottolenghi book?

I really didn’t like the Mexican-inspired recipes in Simple that she was associated with – have you found the ones here more successful?

I haven’t cooked from the book yet! But I have read all the way through it, and there is very little Mexican in it. It is, as the title implies, a very fusion-y book, and it goes all over the globe. You could cook extensively through the book without going near a Mexican-ish recipe.

START HERE Sohla Wayly
SOHN MAT - Monica Lee
IZLEM’S TURKISH TABLE - Ozlem Warren

There is going to be a lot of travel from one or the other of us in February, so I’m sitting out the nominations. If something I own or can easily get wins, I will do what I can to cook along.

I have been cooking a bit from the current book but haven’t had time to post yet. Thus, I feel justified in nominating for next month:
SABRINA GHAYOUR MONTH
JOSEF CENTENO MONTH (BäCO AND AMÁ)
MICHAEL SOLOMONOV MONTH (ZAHAV AND ISRAELI SOUL)
MEZCLA
SAMARKAND
ISTANBUL & BEYOND

Do you own or have cooked from Zahav and Israeli Soul? Both of these books have been on my watch list since they came out. Do you like one better than the other?

MESA MEXICANA
THE FOOD LAB is a sentence

I have both Zahav and Israeli soul and have cooked from both. They are both excellent. I found that I liked Israeli soul more. Zahav was COTM on Chowhound back in 2018, so there are likely other people here who cooked from it.

I’ll go ahead and second MICHAEL SOLOMONOV MONTH.

1 Like

Just read the reviews on Amazon and EYB. Sounds intriguing.

I agree they are both excellent books. I have Zahav as an ebook and it’s pretty bland-looking, and maybe that’s why I haven’t cooked from it as much (though I’ve made his zhoug probably 100 times – it’s the perfect version). Israeli Soul is visually exciting, with mini recipes tucked here and there, great photos, and cuisines split up by cultures of origin. I love it but haven’t cooked from it in probably 2 years, so hence the nomination.

1 Like

Nominations close tomorrow at 10am EST. Get your nominations in now!

OSEF CENTENO MONTH (BäCO AND AMÁ)
MICHAEL SOLOMONOV MONTH (ZAHAV AND ISRAELI SOUL)
SAMARKAND
ISTANBUL & BEYOND

I’d get Baco and Israeli Soul from the library. I have the others and I’m eager to use them.