January 2024 Cookbook of the Month: FROM THE OVEN TO THE TABLE

Welcome to the reporting thread for our January 2024 COTM, From the Oven to the Table by Diana Henry. We’ll use this thread for all discussion and recipe reports.

IMG_2931

To report on a recipe, put the name of the recipe in ALL CAPS and include which book it’s in and the page number, if it’s available to you. If you are the first to post about a recipe, please reply to this post. If someone has already posted about the recipe, reply to their post so all the posts about each recipe are linked for easy reference.

To respect the author’s copyright, please don’t post photos or verbatim copies of recipes. Links to recipes online are welcome, and you may post ingredients and summarize instructions in your own words.

Find links to past months’ books in the COTM Archive, and feel free to keep adding to them.

4 Likes

(Starting off with some reports on dishes I’ve made previously.)

CHICKEN WITH MISO, SWEET POTATOES, AND SCALLIONS, p. 49

To make, put skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs and sweet potato wedges in a roasting pan (a rimmed sheet pan would work) in a more or less single layer. Mix up a marinade of white miso, honey, sake or dry sherry (I used xiao xing rice wine since I had neither of the former), dark soy sauce, minced Fresno chiles. and grated fresh ginger and garlic, and toss with the chicken and sweet potatoes to coat. I found the marinade was too thick for that, but just thinned it with a bit more rice wine before adding it to the pan. You roast all this, and with 15 minutes or so to go, add scallions to the pan and baste with a mixture of more miso, honey, dark soy, and rice wine or sherry.

While the marinade is a bit of a mishmash of ideas, the whole dish was delicious and flavorful, but the sweet potatoes were the best part; the sweet-salty-spicy sauce was so good with them, I would make more next time. The one change I would make is to use regular yellow or red onion wedges in place of scallions and roast them along with everything else, as I didn’t think the scallions added much.

11 Likes

GREEK ZUCCHINI, POLENTA, FETA CHEESE, AND DILL “PIE”, p. 69

Dill and feta are a classic pairing (think spanakopita), and it all sounded good together. To start, you roast sliced zucchini, then add trimmed scallions and roast a little longer (I cut them up for easier eating). Then mix together eggs, Greek yogurt, a small amount of instant polenta, crumbled feta, grated kefaltoyri or pecorino (I used parmesan), chopped dill, and garlic. I happened to have some instant polenta I’d bought for another non-polenta-centric recipe, but I think a finely ground cornmeal would also work. The vegetables go into a gratin dish or similar and the batter is poured over. The recipe notes that cast iron or copper are best because metal conducts heat well, but the book’s photo shows a ceramic dish, and I used an earthenware one to no detriment. Bake until “just set” and slightly souffléd.

I preferred this a bit more set than indicated so let it go till a touch firmer, but it was very good. I like that there is just enough custard to hold the vegetables together. This would also be a great brunch dish that would come together quickly if the zucchini were roasted ahead of time.

13 Likes

I’m hoping to make this one this month. Thanks for the report.

MOROCCAN ROASTED VEGETABLES WITH LABNEH, p. 78

The recipe begins with making labneh by draining Greek yogurt overnight and seasoning it with salt and pepper, but I skipped this (see below). On to the main event: Winter squash (DH has it in wedges, skin on, but I peeled and cubed it for easier eating), onions cut in wedges, cubed waxy potatoes. and cauliflower wedges are spread on a sheet pan and tossed around with sliced Fresno chiles, grated fresh ginger, harissa, ground cumin, olive oil, salt and pepper. This is roasted for a bit, then chickpeas, minced garlic, cherry tomatoes, and more olive oil are added and it’s all roasted together. (Overall, I used less oil than the 7 T. she calls for.) Finally, the lot is topped with cilantro and preserved lemon rind to serve.

This is a simple and really delicious one-dish meal, with a lot of flavor from the harissa, ginger, garlic, and cumin. The yield is large, and the half recipe I made could easily serve 4. Instead of adding all the preserved lemon to the dish, I followed her headnote suggestion to stir some into Greek yogurt as an alternative to serving with labneh, and that made a great accompaniment.

12 Likes

I hope you will not find it too eggy for your taste. I actually think you all would like all three of the recipes I just posted about (though I know chickpeas don’t go over great with LLD).

1 Like

SALSICCIA CON PATATE E POMODORI AL FORNO (p. 20)

Sausages with potatoes and vegetables roasted with fennel seeds. Nothing earth shattering here, but a delicious sheet pan meal on a chilly night. I used chicken sausages and didn’t both browning them first. Whenever there are potatoes in these recipes I put them in much earlier than everything else (and often parboil them first).

11 Likes

COD WITH CHORIZO, TOMATOES, OLIVES, AND SHERRY (p. 29)

Even my flaky fish hating family loves this. I use soyrizo and it works beautifully. Put potatoes, cherry tomatoes, and chorizo in the oven with thyme, olive oil, and seasoning, roast for 30 minutes. While this is cooking, make the breadcrumb cover. Combine breadcrumbs, garlic, lemon zest, parsley, and smoked paprika, season, then add melted butter and sherry. Put this mixture on top of cod. Mix olives and sherry in with the cooked veg/chorizo mix, then add cod on top. Cook until done. So tasty.

11 Likes

WHITE BEANS &ROASTED TOMATOES WITH CAPER, MINT, & CHILI DRESSING (p. 149)

This! Thishas quickly become one of my favorite meals. I’ve given the recipe to a few friends who feel the same way. It’s vegan, it’s delicious, it’s healthy, it’s pretty. Toast cherry tomatoes. Make dressing: mustard, white balsamic (I have used this and sherry vinegar, both work well), olive oil, seasoning. Add chili and garlic. Toss half of this with beans and let soak. Prep your herbs, toss some into the dressing and add the rest to the beans. Put the roasted tomatoes on top of the beans and spoon over the remaining dressing. This is so good with a nice slice of crunchy bread to soak up the tomato juices and dressing.

14 Likes

What did LLD think about it?

I make it when he’s not around, or when we’re doing our own dinners (which sometimes happens now on nights when Lulu is off at debate). He liked the smell of the vinaigrette, but that’s as far as that goes!

3 Likes

haha that’s what I figured!

1 Like

SALSICCIA CON PATATE E POMODORO AL FORNO

I made this using Beyond sausage. Made pretty much as written, but I would tweak it next time. The recipe has you slice the potatoes into 1/8" slices. There is some cooking time on the stove, and then an hour in the oven, and that was really more than needed for the potatoes. They were falling apart. It was also pretty awkward to toss everything together, as you are instructed to do multiple times, with slices. So I would cube the potatoes, and the tomatoes as well. I also used 4 Beyond sausages, while the recipe calls for 8 sausages (of unspecified size). I can’t imagine using 8 here. I did use the full amount of all the other ingredients. We liked this, but it’s nothing earth-shaking: potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, and sausage. What’s not to like?

9 Likes

ROASTED CAULIFLOWER WITH PISTACHIOS & PRESERVED LEMON RELISH - ebook

I’ll start by saying I’ve never seen the point of roasting whole cauliflower. What does it add over roasting it in pieces? Nothing except for presentation (and you still have to cut it up to serve it). And you miss out on the browned edges you get when you roast florets. But I always like to give an author a chance to prove me wrong, so I roasted the cauliflower whole per the recipe.

There are three components. The cauliflower is baked in a dish with boiling water added and under foil so it steams, for 30 minutes. You then drain off the water, pour melted butter and olive oil over the cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper, and roast, uncovered for another 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, you make a tahini sauce, which starts out in the usual way, with tahini, lemon juice, grated garlic, salt, and water. She calls for 2/3 cup water for 1/4 cup tahini, and that seemed like a lot to me. When I make tahini sauce, I don’t measure the water, I just add it bit by bit until I get the texture I want. In this case, I measured out the water, but still added it bit by bit, and stopped when the sauce was the texture I wanted. It took 1/3 cup. Maybe her tahini is a lot stiffer than mine, but I would steer clear of adding that much water all at once. She also has you add 4 tablespoons of olive oil to the tahini. I have never seen a recipe for a tahini sauce that called for extra oil, and tahini itself is over 50% fat. So WTF? I did add some, but not the full amount, and tasting it before and after, I didn’t see it as an improvement. She also has you add black pepper to the tahini, which was another WTF for me. I didn’t do it.

The final component is the relish. You mash garlic with salt in a mortar, then add pistachios and cilantro, then blend in cider vinegar, honey (I used vegan honey here), green chile, preserved lemon, and oil (1/2 cup is called for). After adding a bit of oil to get the mash started, I added the rest in increments, and stopped when I felt I had the right texture. She describes it as "a chunky paste (not a purée). " I didn’t need to use the full half cup.

To serve the dish, you are to plate the cauliflower, drizzle tahini around it, then add the relish on top, plus extra on the side. I didn’t serve the cauliflower whole. Since it was just the two of us, it seemed more efficient to me to cut it in half, then plate it directly on our dinner plates. I put the tahini down first, then half a cauliflower, then finished with the relish.

This dish was good, but I have a lot of quibbles with the recipe. First off, it did nothing to convince me there is any merit in roasting a whole cauliflower. I have no doubt this would be not just as good, but better, if the cauliflower were roasted in florets. Even better yet, air fry those suckers. Second, WTF with all the fat in this recipe? A full 16 tablespoons of fat, if you make it as directed. And it is just soooo unnecessary. You do not need to add oil to tahini sauce, FFS. She says this recipe serves 4, or 8 as a side dish. BS. It might serve 4 as a side dish. As a kinda sorta main, it served 2 in our household, with just a tiny bit of the relish left over. That means if made as directed, it would be the equivalent of a full stick of butter per person. And it does’t even make for a whole meal. Just absurd. The flavors are good here, so I would make it again, but I would skip the whole cauliflower and cook florets, and use the amount of fat needed for flavor and texture (which would be far less than the excess here).

Served with a pilaf of rice and chickpea orzo with dill. Served two. The small bit of leftover relish when on my tofu scramble this morning.

11 Likes

I 100% agree with you on whole roasted cauliflower. I love roasted cauliflower, but in bite sized pieces.

3 Likes

This recipe is the only time I roast a whole cauliflower. It’s quite impressive for a gathering, and the flavors imparted by the initial boil are great. My kid loves the “cheese spread” sub recipe. I make it about once a month for him to have on flatbread and bagels. I’ve learned that I can leave out the feta and he likes it just as much

5 Likes

It sure did make for an entertaining review though! And a pretty picture.

2 Likes

Agree with you about roasting whole cauliflower (not) and all the extra fat.
As usual, a really beautiful serving dish from your collection!

1 Like

SOUTH AMERICAN-SPICED CHICKEN, BLACK BEANS & RICE WITH PICKLED CHILES, AVOCADO & SOUR CREAM - ebook

I veganized this with Daring “chicken”, No Chicken BTB and a homemade cashew crema. You are to brown chicken in a 12" pan. She says the size is critical here. I don’t have a pan that is exactly 12" diameter. I decided to go with my paella pan, which has sloped sides, and is 13" across the top and narrower across the bottom. You brown the chicken and remove it from the pan. Then sauté onions, peppers, fresno chile (I used regular jalapeños), garlic, cumin, and a cinnamon stick. Add the black beans (she calls for canned, I cooked mine in the Instant Pot), and halved cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle the rice over top, then pour on boiling stock. Place the chicken pieces on top, and bake for 40 minutes. Served garnished with cilantro, sour cream, avocado slices, pickled chiles, and lime wedges. I forgot the pickled chiles.

This worked fairly well and was decent, but not fantastic, as written. My first gripe with the recipe is the use of basmati rice. It’s just the wrong choice here. I suspect Ms. Henry is not really a rice person, and probably only keeps basmati and arborio in her pantry. This recipe would be better with Jasmine, or perhaps better still, a medium grain white rice. The basmati was a little soggy, and just felt wrong here. The flavors of the dish itself were mild. I would have liked a hotter chile, and more seasoning in general. Except for the cinnamon stick, which I would have been happier without. The garnishes helped with the flavor, and the pickled peppers would have been welcome here, but I feel the base dish should stand on it’s own. I was happy with the way the Daring chicken worked here, and I think the dish has potential, but needs some tweaking.

12 Likes

You know I love many of the British cookbook authors, but they uniformly get things wrong that originate in the Western hemisphere.

1 Like