Weekly Menu Planning - January 2024

I would love a double tex mex week!

4 Likes

Seems to me a double Tex-Mex week is unavoidable. By the time you procure all the ingredients and/or make the sides (taco filling, refries, pico de gallo, cheese, red rice, tortillas, chips, guac), you’re kinda in it for the long haul. At least at our house. Same could be said for Greek Week.

7 Likes

Hello all!

Hope folks are keeping warm and staying safe; meanwhile, it’s a balmy 67-degrees in Pasadena, with a few drifting clouds, light breeze through the palms, and the parrots are screeching like mad in some eucalyptus trees down the street.

Onto Food:

Good news is the dentist cleared me to return to regular (crunchy!) foods; frustrating news is while chewing my first salad in almost a month (so very good!) I bit my cheek on the side I’m allowed to chew on, so it was back to soft foods for a bit. So it goes.

Monday (tonight): salads, veggie burgers, scalloped potatoes from freezer, carrot cake (also from freezer). I put in some garbanzos to soak last night and they’re now simmering - hoping they soften as bags said best by mid-2022.

Desserts throughout week will be scrounged, if wanted.

T. Make minestrone with some garbanzos, freeze rest. BAKE focaccia peasant bread. Dinner of salad, minestrone, fresh bread.

W. Dinner same as T; BAKE double batch of mini pumpkin bread.

Th. Another repeat; freeze what’s left of the soup.

F. Korma with tofu, butternut squash, peas over brown rice. (Patak’s jarred sauce.) Dessert: TBD

S. Repeat.

Su. TBD

Take care!

15 Likes

Ok, Pasadena sounds wonderful. Sorry about your mouth, that really stinks.

5 Likes

Cooking for two in the UK.

Mon: We had chicken and kidney bean enchiladas with rice.

Tue: Leftovers.

Wed: Curried lentils with kale and homemade bread.

Thu: Leftovers.

Fri: Tiroler Grostl.

Sat: Caldo Verde with bread.

Sun: Pasta al limone.

Have a good week everyone and stay warm!

14 Likes

Please join us for the February COTM nominations!

1 Like

Sunday
Coq au Riesling, short cut tubular pasta (a Greek one, don’t know the name for this shape), beans with tomato

Monday
Pork Shoulder Rendang, basmati , beans with apricot, coconut milk and curry powder

Tuesday
Pork Shoulder Dillkött (I had only used half my shoulder in the Rendang yesterday), parsnips, tuna mushroom dill frittata and a tuna zucchini dill frittata

Wednesday
Clam chowder
Thinking about parsnip and bacon pasta or parsnip grain. Maybe a kuku sabzi to use up some parsley, green onions and dill.

Thursday
Take-out from our local Greek cultural club: Spanakopita, Tiropita, chicken souvlaki, dolmades, pastitsio, moussaka, potatoes, rice, Greek salad and baklava.

Friday
Probably salmon or trout, whichever looks better

Saturday
Steak

Sunday
Take-out to be determined.

14 Likes

@Saregama

3 Likes

Yum - and thank you! (Lovely name for a not pretty dish!)

1 Like

Hi all

Counting down to heading home again, so making things others like and eating things I won’t have access to till I come back.

Leftovers are almost done, just a few left that mom and sis can eat when they’re on their own. I’m thinking of making a few little things for them to enjoy later too if my laziness can be overcome – like homemade bread and focaccia.

We are in high anticipation and stress as we are finally taking mom to the cardiologist to get a clean chit and take her off meds that sap her energy (that she should have gotten off months ago, but she wasn’t confident enough in her mobility to leave the house). Fingers crossed, we are on for tomorrow. Hopefully some celebratory eating after that!

Actuals & ideas for this week:
– Sushi bowls with tiger prawns and avocado (tomato avocado salad for mom) – sis really loves this so there may be yet another round before I leave.
– Pizza – finally made it! May have a redo bbefore I leave.
– Potato chops – lamb chops coated with mashed potato & pan-fried, one of my favorites.
– Manicotti – still need to fill those frozen shells.
– Paya / trotter soup – mom specialty that sis is perfecting.
– Gambas al ajillo + tortilla and/or (charred) homemade bread.
– Spinach and ricotta crepes (for mom).
– Fondue gratin / bake: still haven’t executed this idea.

This lazy gal still needs to bake:
– Something chocolatey and sweet and eggless for mom
– Focaccia for mom
– Homemade bread for everyone

Wish you all a good week and a restful weekend. Stay warm!

17 Likes

Sending golden light and hope for that medical visit!

6 Likes

When I look at your to-cook lists, the last word that comes to mind is lazy! Fingers crossed all goes well with your mom.

7 Likes

Greetings, People.

Recovering from last week’s snow and ice. We didn’t get all that much humidity, but with temps in the teens for a week, it takes its toll on two aging souls. I got a lot of little projects done around the house, baked a lot of biscuits, and made quite a bit of progress on my cookbook reading list – yay for the silver lining!

Cooking for two adults in the PNW.

FRI: Chicken-spinach meatballs over orzo in broth.

SAT: Pan-pizza with mushrooms, Italian sausage, and black olives. Salad greens.

SUN: Pasta, with cabbage and bacon. This is a new-to-me recipe from the Recipe Tin Eats cookbook, but also can be found on Epicurious here.

MON: Milk Street’s Turkish lentil soup. Naan. Salad greens.

TUE: Pan-fried salmon. Convection-oven fries. Salad greens.

WED: Pasta with roasted tomatoes. Chicken-zucchini meatballs.

THUR: Beef on the grill. More salad.

15 Likes

That lentil soup looks good!

2 Likes

It’s delicious - one of my favorite lentil soups. Don’t skip the lemon…

4 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga, where the ice is starting to melt and we’re hoping for more normal temperatures next week…All the recipes that are not linked below are from my back issues of Bon Appetit from 1997-2008 :slight_smile:
Breakfast: Cranberry pecan muffins
Saturday, January 20: A fussy New-Orleans-style shrimp dish; maybe I’ll make some Italian bread to go with it?
Sunday: Pork chops with mushroom sauce; boiled potatoes; creamed kale; carrot muffins
Monday-Tuesday: Scrounge and/or dine out
Wednesday: Placeholder for the next Family recipe
Thursday: Spicy noodles with stir-fried veggies
Friday: Maybe go out if we don’t earlier in the week
Hope you all get some reprieve from any cold weather you’ve been having! Stay warm and happy cooking!

10 Likes

Those sound very good. How long do you bake the muffins or have you not made them before?

I have not made these before, but I’m going to check them after 20 minutes. I can let you know tomorrow how long they took!

1 Like

Hello everyone from what has been a really accident prone week. Oh well I’m in the home stretch now. The super came up on Monday to fix a couple of blocked drains (bathroom sink and bathtub) and managed to cover every single surface area of my bathroom with sludge. Guess what I did on Monday night? Then the entire contents of an opened can of tomato soup tipped over in the fridge and spilled all over the shelf then down the crevices to the veggie crisper below it. Today I lost internet connection and my internet provider is notoriously difficult to get in touch with for help. When I finally found a human, they asked “have you tried unplugging your modem then plugging it back in?”. I think they went to the same school as the IT people at my workplace. End rant.

This is what I have on tap, after a frustrating week:

Today: Take out lunch was an eggplant parmigiana from my favourite deli. Dinner tonight will be a martini with a salad on the side.

Saturday: Pork chow mein using up the last bbq’d pork that I bought on a recent trip to Chinatown.

Sunday: Baked basa fillet with tomato and olive sauce. Rice and some kinda veg on the side. Based on this recipe.

Monday: Peanut butter noodles with cucumber.

Tuesday: Chili, baked or boiled potato depending on how my mood is, squash.

Wednesday: Vegan one-pot ginger-scallion ramen noodles.

Thursday: Pasta tbd.

Tomorrow will be fridge and freezer clean out day to mop up any residual tomato soup I missed the other day. Sunday will be all fun all the time. There are a ton of art exhibitions on that I want to see and I would also like to look into what the other museums have on as well. So, in a word, Sunday will be museum day. Have a nice week everyone!

14 Likes

What a week! Hope the cleanup is done now (or can you hire a maid-for-a-day?). The food sounds tasty so at least that is good.

5 Likes