Deviled Eggs - your favorite version, tips, and tricks?

Thanks for reporting back! I did a small test batch the week I posted the link. I had homemade hummus to use up, a small bit of crumbled feta, chopped the honey nuts fine grind, used sumac as the spice. Then followed the recipe as written. I was very surprised how well the flavors melded. because texture can sometimes throw me off, I mashed everything really well. I never did photograph it but I will make it again. Didn’t you find these far more filling than a traditional deviled egg too as in a meal in itself.?

I’m so glad to hear you and yours enjoyed it.

1 Like

The last time I had a deviled egg was at Oleana in Cambridge, MA. They were so good that I had a second order for dessert. And I don’t think I’d ever made them before.

5 Likes

I tried @Rooster’s avocado-instead-of-mayo trick because my jar of mayo… separated :woman_facepalming:t2:

Also tried using a strainer to push the yolks and avocado through.

Strainer was effective, but took a while… patience is not my virtue. The avocado did give the mixture a slight avocado-ey flavor - not bad, just different. Also, it turned the mixture green.

Nice to try something new, but I’ll probably go back to eggs and mayo next time.

8 Likes

Try plain Greek Yogurt.

So much easier to work with, and it tastes so much better. Healthier too.

Win win. Win!

Last week I tried Kenji’s version of the Oleana recipe.

https://www.seriouseats.com/deviled-eggs-confit-tuna-olives-tomat-olive-oil-recipe

The result was excellent, but there was enough filling for another 6 eggs!

1 Like

KISS (keep it simple, stupid)…mash yolks with mayonnaise, mustard, and a little pickle relish. With moderation add any ONE of the following, finely chopped: sun dried tomatoes, capers, bacon. Curry powder is ok, too. If you like a little spice, spike it with Sriracha, Cholula, or a proven habanero or ghost pepper sauce like Melinda’s Naga or Bhut Jolokia.

3 Likes

Last BBQ here was before Covid and my daughter had me make deviled eggs; mayo, Dijon, salt. Uh Oh, they were too salty, “almost” inedible. So, September 2022, I tried again, this time adding zero salt. There was mayo, Dijon, some softened unsalted butter, per Julia. Topped with chives.

I used Smitten Kitchen recipe for boiling eggs, boiling water, cold eggs from the fridge, had to boil longer than she said, about 15 minutes, into a bowl of water and ice. When cooled, I peeled in the sink using a trickle of water to help. Easy.

I piped it out with star tip thing from Wilton. (Easy on the mayo so piping would be a bit defined. Made filling the night before so was chilled before piping.)

3 Likes

Photo

5 Likes

Perfect!

1 Like

I often use Greek yogurt, but it was too tart today.

I bet the filling would have been great on crostini - or by the spoonful!

1 Like

Yes, I had leftover filling, spread on a triskit with some cuke salad on top.

3 Likes

I’m pretty proud of these. You know, I always like Whole Foods house brand, 365. So, I bought 2 dozen of 365 large eggs, less pricey than other selections.

What’s strange is they seem medium size to me, some of the eggs are noticeably smaller than the majority. I think this could be important if you’re baking a cake or something.

2 Likes

The friends who came to dinner brought us a load of shiso leaves from their garden. We ate the leftovers wrapped in the leaves.

3 Likes

Sumac- brilliant! Ima go cook me some eggs…

1 Like

Haven’t made them for a long time.
Smoked devilled eggs are real nice (boil eggs, crack shells, smoke, proceed)
I normally use yoghurt instead of mayo, rest is open to what I feel like at that point in time.
Tuna, salmon, harissa, curry paste, garlic, etc etc

1 Like
2 Likes

I made this hummus/olive/feta version per spec, as an advance trial for a party tomorrow night. I like it but it’s a bit more tart than I like - not really unexpected as everything but the herbs and nuts is a tart element.

I think I will downplay the hummus a bit (maybe reduce to 2/3 spec) and replace the sour cream with plain mayo.

Edit - well, this is weird. I dropped a couple in my wife’s home office and she just got off a call and tried them. She generally likes tart stuff a little less than I do but loved them and doesn’t want me to make any changes.

She just said, “But you gotta print up a little card warning people that these are regular Southern-style”.

4 Likes

Edit2 - I goofed above, "But you gotta print up a little card warning people that these are regular Southern-style”. should have said, “are not regular”.

We took 3 pieces of this deviled egg over to my wife’s parents’ house where my wife and 2 daughters were helping make cookies, and my MIL and FIL said they absolutely loved them as were and said use this recipe for the dinner tomorrow.

So I guess I’m the only odd man out.

3 Likes

Re eggs looking too small: eggs are sized by weight so that must be the reason…