Deviled Eggs - your favorite version, tips, and tricks?

I almost dropped my laptop I laughed so hard. Talk about scandal . . . . .

I don’t love KLA as much as everyone else either but WOW, a Kardashian LOL he is a bit better than that. But OMG I’m still laughing.

1 Like

I get karma points for being entertaining. grin

I have a real problem with cults. Kardashians, Mr. López-Alt, InstantPot, Jim Jones, et al. Just not healthy.

There are a disturbing number of “icons” in cooking that don’t deserve their accolades. I blame the media in general and Food Network in particular. Guy “FN all Guy all the time” Fieri comes to mind. Rachael Ray. Definitely Mr. “what can I sell with this” López-Alt. Cults make me cranky.

I think I’ll just go make some deviled eggs. Hmm - I wonder if I can take my sailboat idea and float them in something? Jello perhaps?

1 Like

So I’m endorsing two of your pet peaves! ( Or maybe for you, more than a pet peave, and for me, less then a cult).

Jim Jones! Yikes! 918 deaths in Guyana. Made me more than cranky.

I like Kenji’s egg science, and the fact that he acknowledged a change of opinion about “hard boiled eggs”. I didn’t see any plugs in either version*, but I can be naive, and I also like to get paid, so there’s that.

I also love “steaming eggs” under pressure, in an InstantPot :shushing_face:when making enough for a crowd. :grin:

I sometimes am called upon to make a few dozen for a group, and it works great, when only great will do.

*ETA Now I see a “best pressure cooker” link in one story about “boiled eggs”, but I don’t think it was there when the original was published.

2 Likes

Have you tried a real pressure cooker for comparison?

Yes! Jello shooters with vodka & topped with caviar @Auspicious - too funny!! :rofl:

1 Like

I ignore the (pseudo) scientific assertions (as with ATK) and consider it a utility that someone else goes through a range of methods and I get to decide whether it’s worth trying something different.

I’m an avid PC user, and am tempted every time the IP goes on ridiculous sale because I have thought (long and hard) through the benefits vs my stovetop PCs, but I’ve held off… so far…

My view is that one can glean the benefits of the cults that develop without joining them. There’s certainly been exponentially more attention to PC techniques and recipes after the IP. That’s net positive.

You left sous vide off your cult list. I returned mine (it offered little additional utility) but have family members who use theirs several times a week. Everyone’s mileage varies.

5 Likes

In my experience, having used both, you’ll be disappointed in the IP compared to a stove-top PC. Slower to come to pressure and can’t reach a consistent 15 psi. That’s why there are electric PC specific cookbooks and USDA discourages them for canning. They take longer.

I take your point about more attention to PC cooking, although many IP users don’t realize that’s what they are doing. grin I’m quite content with a Lorna Sass book, the Ball Blue Book, and the USDA home canning guidelines.

I do leave sous vide off my cult list. I think that for most home use they are pretentious, leave an unfortunate plastic waste stream, and are a good example of technology for it’s own sake. Advocates of sous vide don’t seem to reach the degree of religious fervor that IP users achieve, or flock to the Kool-Aid as do followers of Mr. López-Alt. That said, the ability of sous vide to hold food for extended periods does have application in commercial kitchens. I put sous vide in the category of specialized tools that are not justified in the home, unlike the IP which is a cheap gadget that would never survive in a professional environment.

You on the other hand, I like. grin

1 Like

I have, although don’t think I’ve steamed eggs in it. I’m sure a regular one is better for most people, but I had the regular one and didn’t use it as much as I use the IIP, which isn’t all that much.

Might as well admit to having two Sou Vis as well; one immersion, and one water circulator.

I think I was thinking this was the thread about appliances. I’m going to try to stick to the subject.

3 Likes

I just saw something about using schmaltz in the yolk mixture, and garnishing with gribenes. (By my favorite foods, you’d be hard-pressed to know I’m not Jewish!) https://www.myjewishlearning.com/the-nosher/deviled-eggs-with-schmaltz-and-gribenes/

4 Likes

I bet that added fat just takes the d-eggs over the top good!

1 Like

My great grandmother did this for her egg-salad.

3 Likes

SE variations courtesy @GretchenS

5 Likes

great

2 Likes

Anything goes.
Top with caviar or shrimp
Mix ins: pesto sauce & toasted pine nuts, cooked crumbled bacon & Dijon
mustard
Avocado and bacon
Sun-dried tomatoes

5 Likes

Had a bit of a “duh” moment as I used green chutney for deviled eggs… why has this not happened in my kitchen before, it’s such an obvious pairing for me :grimacing:

Used whole Greek yogurt, but a bit much which made them a little runnier than is pretty. Very tasty, though. Finely minced shallot and cilantro went in too.

6 Likes

A warm welcome to Hungry Onion @strightfromphilly! We look forward to your posts or questions about anything food or drink wise. Which is actually a huge part of people’s lives, naturally.

1 Like

WAY too much olive oil, not enough whimsy.

Just in time for Easter, I fell into a rabbit hole of recipe links and landed on a deviled egg version that combines my favorites in one delicious place.

Holy moly.

4 Likes

My perfect reprieve.

1 Like

Rooster, you inspired me to try this recipe. I haven’t seen any fresh oregano in the stores for days, so I used dried. It was still good. My wife and I practically finished the whole thing (I used 6 eggs) in one sitting.

3 Likes