Deviled Eggs - your favorite version, tips, and tricks?

I think tobiko might be good for a filling. Would be a good color contrast too.

Simple: a little BF mayo or Durkee’s, mixed wth the cooked yolk, piped into the opening. Sometimes add fresh snipped chives but usually the chives are a garnish as are fresh parsley, smoked paprika or minced lox and dill on different halves. They go quick.
I have a thing about eating deviled eggs, I’ll only eat the ones I have prepared. I do not eat the ones at pgatherings because I don’t know how long they’ve been out of refrigeration or the cleanliness of the maker’s kitchen. Once burned, twice shy.

2 Likes

No Durkee’s on the west coast. :frowning:
Something I really miss from east of the Rockies.

1 Like

I used to buy it at the regular grocery stores in Oakland, bitd.

1 Like

I’ll ask around. I’ve certainly never seen it in Oregon.

durkee.com/where-to-buy/ ?

Rooster posted this recipe upthread that I’m now calling “Mediterranean Deviled Eggs” and I made it again for a dinner party.

I said above I was thinking to reduce the hummus some, but I hadn’t considered that the hummus is the main liquid component. So with all 12 egg yolks already mashed into it, the filling was too thick to pipe and I ended up using the full amount.

These were a big hit at the party and disappeared quickly - the first set of 12 were gone in just a few minutes and I had to refill the tray. I had 24 pieces total, and my daughter had drawn up a seasonal festive description card (just calling them “Mediterranean Deviled Eggs” and listing the major components so people wouldn’t get sticker shock).

It was fun to stand back and just watch them go in real time. The first guy says he loves deviled eggs so I mentioned the card, he tried one, grabbed a second and ran over to his wife, she tried it and grabbed a friend and dragged her over, she got one for herself then after trying it grabbed a second and trotted back over to her husband, etc.

Thanks @Rooster!

The best thing about it is, despite stuffing the eggs as much as possible, as with most DE recipes you have some leftover filling, and with this recipe it’s a lot of leftover filling. Slathered a bunch of it on toasted crusty bread for breakfast this morning for my wife and me, and it’s really tasty.

9 Likes

Can you list amounts of ingredients? What kind of olives?

1 Like

@Aubergine there is a link to the recipe in his post.

@CCE gorgeous!!!

1 Like

Yes - link to the recipe below but as Gretchen mentioned it’s buried (kind of hidden) in the prior post.

It calls for kalamata olives and my first small trial used some of those that we had leftover from a salad, but when I opened my ancient container in the fridge to make again from the party, those were mushy, so I just grabbed some new queen garlic-stuffed green olives and diced them. They were fine in the recipe - those in the know (wife, in-laws) said they couldn’t tell a difference from the kalamata version.

I did give the garlic stuffings to the dog, which I don’t recommend, as it resulted in horrible farts. Or so my kids claim. I was at the party and missed that fun.

4 Likes

I believe!! Dogs + garlic or onions = not good. Glad you missed it. :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve seen it at Brookings Fred Meyer. It may have been a one time special.

2 Likes

Amazon to the rescue.

1 Like

Brewer’s yeast stirred into dog food for flea treatment can and will produce the same assault on your senses. I don’t recommend it if you are house/pet sitting big dogs.

My favorite deviled eggs recipes include garlic, dill and chives. I also love experimenting with different types of herbs and spices such as smoked paprika, chipotle, and harissa. To make your deviled eggs look more appetizing, you can use a spoon to create an indentation in the egg whites and top each egg with a sprinkle of herb or spice. This will give a more professional look while also adding flavor. Additionally, you could also add a small dollop of mayonnaise or vegan mayo to make your deviled eggs even tastier.

Garlic is toxic to dogs

1 Like

Thank you. I was either unaware or had forgotten. Thankfully it looks like the few grams he got is well below dangerous dosing range for his size, reading AKC’s advice (400 or more grams), and also under the ~ 100g he’d need for serious stomach upset. But in any event, there’s no sense in giving any allium family foods to him in future, so again thanks for mentioning it.

1 Like

I think the Aldi version is Berman’s, or something close. Got it in the fridge right now. Good mayo.

I always heard this, but my dog always ate things with cooked garlic/onions in them and never showed any signs of stress from it. Must not have been enough to hurt him. When he had a tapeworm, the papaya pills did the trick. For humans, garlic is usually recommended to kill tapeworms. 400 grams is quite a bit of garlic. Doubt he ever ate anywhere near that.

I’m glad someone else mentioned it; I didn’t want to sound like a jerk (they didn’t; I just felt awkward.)

1 Like