Ceviche, crudo, sashimi, tartare, tiradito, and aguachile

So now it’s been about 48 hours since the fish were cut, I haven’t eaten it every minute as I had anticipated, and I have them in these vacuum containers.

And found this article about vacuum sealing fish
Vacuum-packed meat stored in a refrigerator:

Which says
Beef: 8 days
Poultry: 7 days
Pork: 6 days
Smoked meat: 6-12 weeks
Ham: 3 weeks
Fresh sausages: 2 weeks
Fresh fish: 7 days

Any thoughts?

When are you planning to eat it?

I would freeze it in the meantime (in a bag, don’t really need a container imo). Less degradation with most things in the freezer, and it defrosts fast enough when you want some sashimi or crudo again.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I hope to finish most of it by Monday, but I think I will freeze some today.

Once it’s vacuum sealed, there’s really little benefit to it staying in the fridge, imo the freezer just buys timing flexibility. (Things labeled “sushi grade” have likely already been frozen based on FDA guidelines.)

2 Likes

That’s what I think too, but this place says they cut it and deliver it “fresh”, and it really seemed like it! That would be silly if they froze it, then thawed it for shipping. It wouldn’t even have time to thaw. I was so surprised, I emailed them to clarify, but they haven’t responded. They also have products they label frozen.
:woman_shrugging:t5:

Sea bream. Pretty light. I usually swap it out for something, though, I find it a bit… fibrous? Wrong word, but not smooth is what I mean.

Also sea bream - I think Madai is the baby / younger version

Striped jack. Iirc this is oilier, still looks white but heavier than something like hamachi.

ETA @shrinkrap If you want to geek out on this a bit (“if” lol) here are a few references:

https://www.sushi-pedia.com/en/sushi/tai/

https://www.thesushigeek.com/the-sushi-geek/2016/01/22/tai-鯛-japanese-sea-bream

1 Like

Well then it hasn’t been frozen (but if you do your worst case is killing some parasites :joy:)

1 Like

There goes my latest weight loss plan! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Been there, don’t recommend it :frowning_face:

1 Like

From what I saw, madai can be sea bream or Japanese red snapper. The texture was buttery and rich, and it had a more pronounced flavor than the fluke, which was very mild yesterday. It’s on the top left (above the fluke & next to the saba) in this picture.

Ooooo! :eyes:
Thank you!
#1is madai?
#5 is fluke?
#3 is saba? Is that mackerel?
#9 is salmon?
#4 hamachi?
#8 some kind of tuna? I’m still learning about tuna. This one looks dark.

@shrinkrap If you want to geek out on this a bit (“if” lol)

Yes, please!

Thanks!

#1 Madai, i.e. sea bream or Japanese red snapper - who knows :woman_shrugging:

I’m not a fish geek, and the classification and terminology can be confusing. Most important to me: Does it taste good? It did.

#2 escolar / white tuna
#3 saba (mackerel)
#4 hamachi (yellowtail)
#5 hirami (fluke)
#6, 7, 8, 9 is one roll, namely the rainbow roll: crab, cucumber, avocado inside, salmon, tuna, non-specified ‘white fish’ and avocado on top.

Here’s their online menu.

1 Like

They left out Tahitian Poisson Cru.

Poisson Cru

• 1.5 pounds raw, skinless Tombo/Albacore/Thon Rouge Tuna, cubed to about 1"
• Juice of 6-8 limes
• 12-14 oz.fresh or canned unsweetened coconut milk
• 1 cucumber, seeded, then halved and cut into 1/4" thick half moons
• Tomatoes (15 cherry tomatoes halved or 3-4 Romas seeded and chopped coarsely
• 1/2 of a sweet (Maui, Walla Walla) or red onion, sliced thinly
• 2 carrots, grated or sliced very thinly
• Green bell pepper, chopped
• Celery stalks per taste, sliced on the bias
• Parsley per taste, chopped
• Green onions, 1 bunch, chopped
• Black pepper to taste
• Salt (some with the fish and lime juice and more later after, mixed to taste
• Optional: red pepper flakes

In a large non-reactive bowl, stir together the tuna. lime juice, ¼ cup of the coconut milk, and some salt. Let the mix marinate for the 1/2 hour or so it takes to prep the rest of the ingredients. Turn the mix a few times to make sure all the fish gets “cooked” by the lime juice. Note: For a drier finished dish, drain off juice at this point.

Add all the rest of the ingredients, and mix well. Adjust salt and pepper. You can serve it right away, but I prefer for everything to macerate together for at least 15 minutes.
Keeps well for most tastes, refrigerated and covered, for about a day.

2 Likes

That sounds tasty and intriguing! How many lunch sized servings do you think that would make, and is there anything you would say I just can’t leave out? I don’t usually have fresh tomatoes in January; can I used semi or sun dried in oil? Can I use roasted peppers?

I see elsewhere that the veg is supposed to be crip.

Maybe 10 unless you’re hungry. To my testes, it keeps longer than one day–Tahitians put it up on their roofs to “ripen”.

The fresh acid from tomatoes is pretty important. Cherry or grape tomatoes are scarce for you? The green pepper really isn’t essential, although I’d skip the roasted. You want some snap, so maybe up the cukes or celery.

The atoll version of this uses just lime, tomato, loud onion, and coconut milk.

1 Like

:thinking:

JK Thanks!

Cherry or grape tomatoes are scarce for you?

No, I just don’t usually buy them or have them in the winter. I can though.

The little tomatoes also add color–It’s a little drab otherwise.

This has become a favorite dish of mine–as in, can’t stop eating it.

1 Like

Oh, and another thing: Don’t throw away your money on sashimi grade tuna. Any fresh will do as well.

3 Likes

This second one is a re-post from another thread, and old. I was about to delete it, but I won’t since it looks like it’s already been “viewed”.
ETA Glad I didn’t delete it! Thanks @Amandarama !

3 Likes