Ceviche, crudo, sashimi, tartare, tiradito, and aguachile

I am about to order of the sashimi trio from True Fish
I might also get a pound of toro- I love toro, but can I eat all of this before…
These are on sale; Any opions about buying these for later ?
Shima Aji - Loin, Frozen (Japan )
Madai - Loin, Frozen (Japan)

I also want to try the Tai snapper from New Zealand , Branzino, and frozen shrimp, but will wait until my next order. :woman_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

I found this helpful

1 Like

They’re here!

I preferred the thicker pieces of hamachi I got last week, but I assume it will taste the same.

I don’t know much about judging the quality of toro, but this seems like a pretty good deal.

2 Likes

It seems kind of sinewy,

at least in this tartare-crudo-poke bowl prep (diced with olive oil, preserved lemon, chili crisp, pistachios, onion greens)

I found this article which [notes]

" During the aging process, the meat loses its odor and in return gains taste and tenderness. …If the meat matures for too long,… the sinewy separating layers (suji, 筋) lose too much firmness and can no longer hold the fatty meat in shape"

Or…

Of course!:person_facepalming:t5:

1 Like

Interesting “toro”. Are you going to let the seller know?

I found a couple of photos of tuna cuts: (click on links to see pics. Discourse/this site is blocked by certain image hosting sites.)

https://i.imgur.com/1er46VX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9QRlg5g.jpg

Doesn’t matter which tuna cuts I eat in Japan, they are all delicious and quality is high. In my 2 photos you can see the colour and marbling difference of 2 cuts next to each other: Sashimi, the partner’s sushi (I don’t eat sushi). (And prices to match…)

Love eating fish in Japan! Love Japan! :japan: :fish:

Yes, and thank you. They have not been particularly responsive to email.

I have been looking at some similar pictures, and am under the impression that these pieces come from near the tail.

The sinewy pieces in sushi restaurants often get chopped fine and the sinews are removed with tweezers. The finely chopped bits get used in tartare, maki, and also gunkan style sushi.

5 Likes

This is pretty much what the tuna belly I got from the fisherman dude looked like. When I cut the first piece, I had a similar experience, mostly from my lack of experience I think, and also because I belatedly realized that given the fat content, I should have either chilled it well or partially frozen it for ease of slicing.

The second piece looked better.

Went looking for a pic, but I guess I forgot to take a pic of the whole piece, just the finished dish.

Yes, the belly is the lower half, after the innards are taken out, so it is naturally a lot thinner than the upper portion.

Agree with what @Amandarama said – there’s a reason a lot of toro comes finely chopped (sometimes with daikon).

2 Likes

Thank you! Fine like minced? A coarse grind? I think I would call what I did minced, but without the tweezers @Amandarama mentions. .

Have you ever tried “aging” it? That seemed to come up several times .

I’ve had both, as tartare, sushi topping, or handroll filling.

When I tried my hand with the first piece, I think I ended up scraping big pieces of fish off the sinew, then chopping it into pieces, not mincing – that’s what the pic I linked to shows I think.

No, because I have had hives a couple of times and am a bit wary of things that boost the histamine quotient.

1 Like

What I’ve seen is finely chopped, almost pureed. The chef uses a knife in both hands and just gets after it! There are pauses to pull sinew as it is seen, both before initial chopping and then after in subsequent pass throughs.

2 Likes

a knife in both hands and just gets after it!

Ahhh!

Yeah, I’ve had that. I was not a fan of the texture (too mushy for me).

I also generally prefer chūtoro over otoro.

1 Like

So when you have the thinnest part of the belly, there isn’t much other choice, and it’s still expensive, which means you’re not going to get rid of it because you can’t cut it neatly, so maybe that treatment is an easy repurpose.

But the thicker parts (or belly from larger fish) give you a bit more room to maneuver.

@shrinkrap when I ordered from the fisherman guy, it all came skin-on / bloodlines-in, which also made maneuvering a bit easier because you had the skin to work against (acc to your article leaving the bloodlines in seems to help the fish keep better too, I didn’t know that back then).

3 Likes

I would have to imagine it is the easiest way to repurpose it :slight_smile: I like the idea of how Morimoto presents his version, as a tartare with different add ins (caviar, wasabi, rice cracker, etc.) so the diner can add flavors and textures in these cases.

2 Likes

That’s definitely a great way to break up the texture. I appreciate different textures in one bite (which is why pureed soups, mashed potatoes, and other soft foods are unappealing to me in larger amounts). I’m all for adding some crunch/bite/another sensation. Even scallion can do the trick, or sesame seeds.

1 Like

Thanks, @shrinkrap, for putting me in the mood for sushi / sashimi. Putting in a sizable order from the local purveyor :smiling_face:

My pleasure! To make at home or at a restaurant?

Also;

Nah, I don’t have the patience nor access to that sort of quality fish - certainly not the same variety the local sushi joint has, and their menu is particularly extensive today :-), as they get their deliveries on Thursdays.

The fluke is back, as is madai & hamachi. About to head out thru the deep-freeze to pick it up :cold_face:

1 Like

Can you say more about madai? The place I’ve been ordering from has it frozen

I found this.

Also, I’d love a link to a “good” sushi place; I only have very basic tuna and salmon, and a bunch of fried and/or decorative rolls in my town.