Burns Night

My absolute favourite Scottish restaurant is this Michelin starred place in Edinburgh. If ever you are back that way, you gotta eat here (to coin a phrase)

2 Likes

@Phoenikia and @Harters , I agree with both of you: I’ve had lovely meals at both places (Number 1 also that long ago). There are some really nice scran in Scotland, one just needs to know where to look.

Meanwhile, I was thinking of all of you when I was in the Coop just now and spotted ‘Burns night bites’ (left over): These were haggis needs and tattie fritters of some kind. I’ll bet they were lovely. (I’ve been feeling poorly lately, so all I had were some stovies on Tuesday.)

1 Like

Hope you feel better soon, @Hunterwali .
The nicest Scottish pub in Toronto keeps a haggis bite type appetizer on their menu year-round, as far as I am aware. Hope to visit that pub once spring patio dining begins.

Thank you for the rec, @harters!

Since there doesn’t seem to be a traditional Scottish food thread, I’m going to use this Burns Night thread as the traditional Scottish food thread.

1 Like

Hope you’re on the mend, H.

2 Likes

Covid has delayed this year’s festivities, but they will be back on track on soon…basically too much fun and nobody wanted to wait until next January. I don’t think Robbie would be one to complain about that.

Don’t sleep on the Great Chieftan o’ the Puddin-race!

1 Like

Well, glad that you are reminding me @Phoenikia with your responses on the cullen skink post. January isn’t far off and frankly this is a lot more fun than the other holidays that come after Thanksgiving for me…no pressure lol!

I’m a guest every year at a Burns Nite and it’s actually been a few years off due to well, you know.

Haggis, is indispensable. I mean how can you do the Ode to the Haggis without one? Or two, we have a smaller vegetarian haggis also. The slashing of the haggis on cue is always a highlight. Personally I know it takes a lot of shit but i like the taste. I like boudin a lot. One of those is the great chieftan o the puddin race and the other isnt!

Whiskey, too, my pal has about 60 or more bottles, those take an enormous hit from our group, but we all try to each bring a nice single malt or blended bottle.

Usually do the cockaleekie soup, but seems like the cullen skink might have to come into play. Neeps and tatties. Also usually do little corn pancakes with smoked salmon and creme fraiche on top as an app while we wait for the quorum. A nice cheese plate is always welcome. No slaves to tradition once we had some howlin hot wings from howlin rays too as an app – burns, get it? can’t say it works well with the islay malts however.

The pageantry, friendship, singing and cheer is really what I love most, more than the food and drink, tho they go hand in hand. Some of our pals actually have kilts. Each person comes armed with a toast or a song or some other bon mot for the crowd. The toast to the immortal memory of robbie burns is left to the smarter people in our group.

The Ode to the Lasses. Yes, we do all we can to have our lady friends and family come and they are rewarded in every way possible. Those that do so come to our maudlin event deserve something special. Hint: it’s not haggis or whiskey. A sticky toffee pudding can be helpful. But mostly a shit load of praise and adoration. One of my old friends has a folk rock band a la Fairport and we are working up a rendition of Corn Rigs from the Wickerman (yes based on a Burns poem) which i’m kind of jazzed about. She is off the saucer but she can actually sing.

Anyways, you got my juices flowing for this. I’m looking forward!

3 Likes

I was hoping to visit Scotland in 2019. I haven’t gotten back into international travel yet.

I miss it. We have one Scottish pub in Toronto. Maybe I’ll get takeout before the holidays.

I’ll cook something Scottish for Burns Night next year.

We’re also hoping to return someday soon. Our first time, we made sure to order at the quintessential “Scottish” restaurant just to say that we did. Plat du jour = Big Mac and fries before boarding train to King’s Cross. When in Edinburgh . . .

2 Likes

:rofl:.
I think my first Michelin star experience was the tasting menu at Number One in Edinburgh. https://www.roccofortehotels.com/hotels-and-resorts/the-balmoral-hotel/dining/number-one/

It lost its star last year. https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/best-in-edinburgh/michelin-star-edinburghs-number-one-23102973.amp

I stayed at the hotel attached to the train station in Glasgow.

I ate haggis in Edinburgh, but I can’t say I “enjoyed” it!

1 Like

I’d never previously heard of the Isle of Man haggis, although its location between England, Scotland and Northern Ireland means it’s not really a surprise that there is one.

I’ve visited the island once (in 2012). It’s slightly strange with an old fashioned feel to it - sort of laid back 1970s. It’s not part of the UK and its legal status is as a Crown dependency. Means it makes its own general laws but relies on the UK for defence and international matters. We took our own car and travelled on the fast ferry from Liverpool. That’s the fast ferry commonly known as the “vomit comet” - a name well earned, IMO.

Unsurprisingly, it has some good seafood. And takes its television from northwest England, just as I do.

5 Likes

Here’s a chocolate haggis recipe

Chocolate Haggis! (aka Shortbread and Whisky Fridge Cake) | Foodie Quine - Edible Scottish Adventures

3 Likes

I know you’re joking but you just had me checking to see which one you might mean since the only one I could think of on Princes Street is a far enough from Waverley that it seemed inconvenient… even if a lot of the other options aren’t so great…

1 Like

I went to Number One ages ago and had a really lovely meal of all I can remember was the tremendous assortment of bread…

1 Like

Please don’t rush us through to January. :slight_smile:

For pudding have you considered making cranachan?

I’d also suggest stovies (for the meal) but that’s really more everyday fare. It is warming though.

1 Like

Ha, I’m looking forward to the fun, no rush at all. We’ve missed out on the event for a few years now with covid concerns so looking forward to getting the band back together…we have folks in nocal and socal that meet up so balls are in motion. we may even have a piper this time so that would be awesome…are kids invited? hell no! baby sitters need advance scheduling.

We’ve done cranachan several times (delish - whipped cream and booze together is always a winner for me) and i’m all for multiple desserts…we sometimes have those little shortbread cookies and some other treats too. i am personally fond of the sticky toffee pudding in what else, whiskey sauce.

Never had stovies, sounds like what the neeps and tatties mixed with haggis might taste like? or corned beef and cabbage mixed with potatos and carrots and onions?

What about meat pies?

Sometimes we get beer but it seems to go by the wayside with all the whiskey. Any thoughts on beverages, and anything scottish you fancy for the teetotalers ?

im enjoying the authentic scottish comments,thank you @Hunterwali

4 Likes

No joke ! It was in the mall.

Is a deconstructed cranachan acceptable? Even omitting an ingredient or two? Asking for a friend.

1 Like

It would have to be a Scotch pie. Delicious, eaten warm, straight from the bakers. I remember my last one - bought from a shop at the northern end of Loch Ness. Lots of recipes on the internet - this was just the first that came up

3 Likes