Burns Night

The link to Delicious magazine then links to MacSweens who are the main haggis producer you’ll come across on British supermarkets.

I’ve never tried a veggie haggis but suspect that, assuming the seasoning is rght. you wouldnt notice too much difference from the “real thing”. FWIW, a company near me used to sell their black puddings at the farmers market, including a veggie version. The guy on the stall said that there was only one ingredient different from their meat bersion. That was whatever they substituted for the pigs blood but it was a trade secret.

1 Like

I’ve seen canned veggie MacSween’s for sale here in Canada, but haven’t tried it.

Might make Cockaleekie instead, tonight.

Interestingly , very little hoarding is happening at grocery stores near me, but a little was evident in the Scottish biscuit section yesterday. I think it’s a combination of supply chain and a few Canadians getting worried about their treats.

1 Like

Cranachan cheesecake. Want!

Sounds like a perfect amalgamation of two brilliant desserts

1 Like

Sorry I must have missed this. The plates and soup bowls I have are like the small bowl on the left. They don’t have the blue rim like the others. Thanks!

1 Like

To be honest, I’m going to use a jar of imported German rotegrütze instead of raspberries

1 Like

We enjoy more holidays than we celebrate. So, from the sidelines, we’ll crack open a bottle of Talisker that could handle the attention.

1 Like

Valentine’s Day has been a massive disappointment in my life, so I like to focus on holidays that get less attention, like Burns Night, Mardi Gras, San Giuseppe Day, Santa Lucia Day, Panageia, etc.

I’m not a drinker- so I focus on the food on Burns Night, and St Paddy’s.

1 Like

My cock-a-leekieish dish. Orzo (which means barley in Italian fwiw) instead of barley, more of a braised pasta dish, with turkey thighs

5 Likes

Burns Night supper.
Scotch egg with mustard sauce, rumbledethumps and a salad.

6 Likes

Looks amazing!

1 Like

Salad, eh? To invoke a national sterotype about diet, Scots may well have the lowest salad eating rate in Europe. As in the joke about the “Glasgow salad” - it’s a bag of chips (fries). The joke being that chips are made from potatoes and potatoes are a vegetable so deep fried chopped potatoes counts as a salad.

One of the stories about the Scotch egg is that it was invented as a snack for travellers, on the stagecoach (and, later, railway) route to Scotland. Always a picnic food eaten cold in the UK, never warmed.

6 Likes

Hollandaise is nice on Scotch eggs, too!

1 Like

I read about “Glasgow salad” when I was googling for ideas, I need a salad for my 5 a day. Needless to say I didn’t find anything.

1 Like

I only had a night in Glasgow, and I remember I had a chickpea curry and Bakewell tart, while my mom had the haggis. I don’t think we had any chips!
Thought this was interesting, after my Glasgow Salad rabbit hole this morning.

1 Like

That was interesting, thanks. I have toured Dunrobin Castle.

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed haggis as part of the “Full Scottish” breakfast. But, it’s a long, long while since I was in Glasgow. My life companion used to travel there quite often before retirement as she had a tenous management oversight of a company team based there. But it was almost always flights there and back in the day.

1 Like

I took the train, from Oxford to Edinburgh, Edinburgh to Glasgow. Stayed at the hotel inside Glasgow Main Station , then took the train back to Oxford. I want to spend more time in Scotland, some day.

1 Like

We’ve only taken one significant holiday in Scotland - around 10 years ago. Drove up the eastern side, stopping at Loch Lonond and Fort William. Then along Loch Ness to Inverness, before coming back along the western route through the Highlands. We stopped there at the little town of Pitlochry which was of interest to my partner, as she’d been for a family visit when she was a girl - staying with her uncle who worked for the Forestry Commission there, as a sort of lumberjack type job.

It wasa good trip, although the food wasnt at all great.

2 Likes

The tasting menu I had at Number One in Edinburgh, around 16 years ago now, was one of the nicest and most memorable fine dining meals I’ve had in the UK. It would have been before it was a Rocco Forte hotel, as far as I remember. The tasting menu is now 110 GBP. Can’t remember how much we paid. https://www.roccofortehotels.com/hotels-and-resorts/the-balmoral-hotel/dining/number-one/menu/