Bake your bread, make your desserts 2020

New year now, a new thread for bread making, baked and non baked desserts. Have fun!!

My wife made an awesome though enormous chocolate layer cake yesterday. Cake is deep chocolate with espresso and thus is not very sweet, which is good because the frosting is mocha-cream cheese-crème fraiche (rich and sweet). She probably could have reduced the quantity of frosting and it would have been just as good.

4 Likes

Made 2 types of cookies for a NY party yesterday. Lemon tipped biscotti and earl grey tea cookies. The latter I had to go to a new recipe because for the life of me I couldn’t find the recipe I’ve always used. It was in a Bon Appetite from sometime probably around the yr 2000, give or take 2-3 yrs on either side. I thought it was in one of their Christmas cookie articles, but I looked and looked (inc online) and couldn’t locate it. Would be much obliged if anyone knows the one and cook send me a copy.

6 Likes

Beautiful platter. I enjoy light cookies.

1 Like

Thank you! It’s slightly disheartening to be friends with people who aren’t foodies, because the earl grey cookies in particular are so unique and have such a nice crisp texture, but I had a ton of leftovers, whereas the store bought (not bakery) chocolate chip cookies were demolished. But most of the joy is in the making at least.

6 Likes

I understand that feeling. Personal satisfaction coupled with a forum like this keeps me motivated to keep trying new recipes and learning new methods.

4 Likes

Earl grey is also a bit of an acquired taste. I’m very much of a foodie and appreciate homemade baked goods, but I also don’t like earl grey tea at all (one of the few teas I won’t drink) so I may have passed on this cookie too.

1 Like

So weird as to the Earl Grey Tea, I’m not a fan either. Must be the bergamot. BUT @Sasha, I def would have tried your cookies, whereas I won’t touch packaged cookies (with some qualifications :smiley_cat:)

2 Likes

I’ve some earl grey tea with lemon, bergamot, lime and orange blossoms and extract that I don’t particular like. Generally I’m not hot with fruit tea. I used them to make Madeleine cakes, lovely and delicious.

Second attempt was a success! Phew.

I used Serious Eats’ seriously easy recipe (minus the toppings except salt and a little fresh thyme). The end result was great! Crispy outside, fluffy inside. And it was very easy. Next time I’d probably deflate the dough a little more before baking.

13 Likes

This looks good!

3 Likes

Hazelnut baklava for mom’s birthday

10 Likes

Omg What a nice gift.

2 Likes

BEAUTIFUL!
Happy Birthday Mom!

2 Likes

Those look FANTASTIC!

Halved batch of Salted Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies found on the web. Almond flour bag got used up, low sugar, no eggs, salted butter and agave. Chopped choc bits from HU chocolate company (vegan). Pantry clean out.

gilding the lily later.

11 Likes

Lucky mom - looks great!

2 Likes

Looks and sounds delicious @Rooster! Love the serendipity of using multiple things up, too.

2 Likes

Thanks! They tasted better without the chocolate tahini spread; too much of a good thing… The almond flour kept the shortbread tender.

1 Like

Last night, my wife made what I’m calling the Black Hole of Brownies–so incredibly rich and gooey that I can only have a small bit at a time, preferably with an espresso. Since for some reason the recipe she used didn’t have any coffee powder in it, I convinced her to add some (I think she used a tablespoon) and I think it made a world of difference. The brownies probably would have been too sweet otherwise.

3 Likes