Your favorite salmon that's not common (i.e., citrus + grilled or lemon/skillet seared are the norm)?

I like the sounds of the Moosewood recipe. What is the name of the cookbook? I have several of the Moosewood ones%

1 Like

New Recipes From Moosewood Restaurant, according to my notes, although I never owned that cookbook, probably wrote it down from a friend? I have been making this recipe for 25 years or more.

3 Likes

This salmon soup is delicious. Save it for the cooler weather.

[https://theviewfromgreatisland.com/finnish-salmon-soup-lohikeitto-recipe/]

5 Likes

This looks great - thanks for the link!

Agree, that fish soup looks wonderful. May not wait for cooler weather…

1 Like

How about this one from Persiana? Rub and roast.

5 Likes

I like “The View From the Great Island”.

1 Like

https://www.harristeeter.com/r/pastrami-salmon-recipe/ccf69962-648b-4f4c-8db3-a3dfb91e4a42?utm_source=Salesforce&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=FreshCatch&utm_content=20230801_Fresh_Catch_Base

Sent by a grocery store today

Russ and Daughters sells pastrami-cured salmon.

1 Like

A smoked fish shop in TO called Schmaltz Appetizing makes a beet-cured smoked salmon and a pastrami-cured salmon they call pastrami lox. Their bagel sandwiches are inspired by or copied from Russ & Daughters.

2 Likes

I’ve never tried it, but I sent a gift box that contained some to a relative. Report came back highly positive.

1 Like

So does Trader Joe’s, I think. Or it might be tuna.

1 Like

Salmon.

1 Like

Even though they stress getting great quality, I like that this works particularly well with so-so frozen salmon. It makes it taste absolutely delicious when other preps would be disappointing.

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I’d seen the method on SE, but wasn’t sure if it was worth it. I do get pretty good quality salmon, but will try this anyway.

I tried this last year when Korean American was COTM.

It is worth noting that it changes the texture of the fish, which should seem obvious given that it’s a salt cure / “dry brine”, but results in quite a different outcome for fish than for meats.

3 Likes

Looping back to this, I had 2 daughters home this weekend and for last night’s dinner they asked for salmon.

I had skimmed all the recipes you guys gave and thought one of the miso-marinades sounded good, and had made a rough sketch on my phone notes that said

• 2Tbs ea white miso, maple syrup, tamari, grated garlic and some S&P. [edit - oops I forgot 1 Tb mirin went into it, too]

I’m not positive now (after 7 mos) if I’d transcribed it correctly but still had it in my notes and did it (90 min marinade, scrape off excess and bake) and it was a big hit with the wife & daughters. So, thanks again for all of your inputs!

5 Likes

This is perfect for me! Any thoughts about not serving immediately? How long have you kept it? Do you re-heat before serving, and if so, how?I’m thinking I would not.

I think serving immediately has more to do with it being part of a larger breakfast along with items like miso soup and hot rice. It’s perfectly fine later. I’ve used it for onigiri (so hours later) and it’s still delicious. I’ve also eaten cold out of the fridge and found it delicious, but then I generally enjoy lots of food fridge cold.
It’s very quick to cook, though, since it’s just a few minutes in the broiler, so it’s easy enough to have it hot.
I would think it could be reheated without much issue, though.

2 Likes