Your cookbook shelves

Very nice. I’m not sure what the back story is on owning an autographed copy of Cake Doctor. I will need to ask my Aunt. I noticed you own a copy. I have never baked from the book. Any specific recipe that stands out?

Anyone collect autographed cookbooks?

2 Likes

I’ve never baked from it either!

1 Like

That’s funny

1 Like

I too have a collecting problem. :grin:

6 Likes

Your collections are very interesting but it’s the duplications within titles btwn each of you that’s got my eye.

@naf Did you mean this shelf? How is this one? I straightened it up a bit.

These had no covers, no bindings, or are shoved above the others. I have a lot about what to do with tomatoes.

![IMG_20200606_091609|525x700]

The other shelf segues from cookbooks to books about food, growing food, then gardening and then everything else.

3 Likes

I’ve been wanting that Charmaine Solomon book for years! It may not be safe if I visited. :smiley_cat: Somehow it’s not one that I’ve surreptitiously added to the collection. Promise more pics later today. It’s daunting, although I’ve neither rearranged nor straightened anything.

1 Like

@winecountrygirl; Nice. What are the magazines on the bottom right?

Actually I was talking the bigger one, but I think it’s your main shelf and non cookbooks.

Oh! Yeah that one is a hot mess! I even have a box with my cousins ashes , but don’t tell husband.

1 Like

:upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

Food and Wine and Bon Appetit. I still get F&W but not BA.

1 Like

I do not, but happen to have a few.

GYes, it’s fun to see what we share in common!

Like shrinkrap, I have a few autographed books but don’t collect them per se. my favorite of these is one by Yvette von Boven, who did a little drawing of her dog next to her signature after I told her the dog lured me into the book and made me buy it ( dog is featured in photos and whimsical drawings).
She’s very artistic and her husband is a photographer, and they brought some nice drinks and nibbles from the book recipes at the book signing. Lovely people.

6 Likes

What a nice memory of that experience.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I lifted it from my mom some 30 or more years ago.

As promised, more cookbook shelf pics, albeit from a distance. I haven’t done anything in the room & it is becoming a storage unit temporarily due to upcoming renovation & home improvement projects. These were taken in the main cookbook room. I have more in another bedroom, as well as a stack on coffee table in family room.

Meant to add I’ll take more pictures, shelf by shelf. It will take a while.:upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Wow! Those are all cookbooks?? I had two vertical bookcases the size of your last photo flanking my refrigerator before we moved to our 2nd home full time in 1999. I sold some at a yard sale. Later, I went through them and the ones I never cooked from I donated to our library for their annual book sale. Then, we got an infestation of pantry moths from a container of birdseed that sat next to the back door, near my bookcases and they moved into my cookbooks.

I can’t even estimate how many hours it took me to go through each book, and vacuum up the caterpillars, cocoons and moths. They got inside the dustcovers. Some of the paper books I just threw outside in the snow. It took a very, very long time to get rid of them. I need to do another major culling.
I have too many still. But, that doesn’t stop me from acquiring more, especially when we travel.

6 Likes

Yep, afraid so, all cookbooks, except for some food writing type books with recipes - think Laurie Colwin, or Ruth Reichl, food memoirs, and the like. I’ve been very lucky as to bugs not infesting. I’m sorry you had to go through that with yours. Yes to cookbooks while traveling, almost never have I not bought a cookery book while on a junket somewhere. I’ve told my kids to check all the books, when I depart on the “big, unknown” adventure. They may well find $20 bills, books of stamps, important paperwork. As well, I’m pretty sure the ultra sound picture of kid #2 is in there. :upside_down_face: I’d prefer them to go to a cooking school, or GoodWill. The library would sell them for very little, as they never shelf donated books. The H and kids think they should build my funeral pyre with them. Not that I’m planning on checking out anytime soon @retrospek, as I must spend my share of their inheritance first, and soooo much more traveling and collecting to do…

5 Likes