What's Your "Answer to Indifference"?

Thai food makes everyone happy. If we are eating in its usually breakfast for dinner.
On my own its either fried clams or a baked potato.

3 Likes

This is my DH. While he always appreciates what I make, he would be just as happy with a bowl of cereal or a steak dinner. I usually just decide what to cook and that’s that. If I have a few ideas, I’ll offer up the choices and let him pick. His usual response is, “whatever is easiest.” I realize having eaten most meals at home for the past 6 weeks, that our “indifference” was usually around where to go out to…seems silly now.

1 Like

:joy:
Indeed it is.

3rd adult often uses being vegetarian as an excuse to make an entirely different meal - which makes no sense because 3/4 of the other 2 meals are also vegetarian - aside from the protein :rofl:.

But eleventeen weeks in, I’m learning not to care.

I, meanwhile, am used to planning - or at least having a rough outline - of meals for the week, so the constant ad hoc planning and last-minute cooking is exhausting in all locations other than my own :joy:

5 Likes

I no longer ask. Usually dh asks “What’s for dinner?” I answer, “Surprise”.
It’s only dinner, and life is short.

6 Likes

Haha! That reminds me that when he comes in the kitchen and asks “watcha doin’”?, I always say “not sure yet”, to avoid him offering “suggestions”.

7 Likes

Oh, yes. My mantra is “name it after you plate it”. That way, there is no argument over authenticity or expectations.

6 Likes

I wish I’d been a fly on the wall when you made the oyster mayonnaise. That must have been a hoot. :grinning:

1 Like

Gurl; Yes! Some looking (daughter). Mostly hiding.

1 Like

that’s exactly what i was wondering too?!

i’m quarantined in my own house and i find the increased need to plan based on grocery delivery scarcity exhausting. it’s ALL exhausting. sometimes the cooking and meal planning is a respite from everything else going on, and other times it all feels like too much to manage (and i LOVE menu planning, cooking, etc.).

6 Likes

Pizza always works

Oh my gosh, you’ve just summarized my feelings so perfectly. Thank you for putting into words some of the emotions I’ve had kicking around! I have always used cooking and meal planning as a coping tool, and that’s no longer the case necessarily.

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

I don’t live with indifference. Me “Honey what do you want for dinner”
Her “fish”…sigh.

2 Likes

Hear, hear!

3 Likes

Made me laugh :joy:

1 Like

This thread is very amusing. Seems we all go through this in some fashion. Me-honey what do you want for dinner? Her-anything you want. Okay burgers (or something with meat). Her-do we have to have meat again? Me-okay, just tell me what you want

7 Likes

I’m getting a lot of this. DH has no appetite for meat. NONE for chicken. Fish sells…if it’s fried. If I love something, I can eat it indefinitely. DH says, “didn’t we just have this?” Salad plates usually accepted. Pasta but no tomato sauce.

I’ve been cooking for SO DANG LONG!. We don’t do take out since good stuff is insanely expensive and not guaranteed to be worthwhile.

Tonight, prawn tempura and fries. When in doubt, play to the crowd.

4 Likes

Appears we both got married around the same time. Me back in ‘82

2 Likes

Two things. First ‘I dont care’ is NOT an answer to the question. Second, when my kids were young the conversation went like this:

“Dad - what’s for dinner?”

" we’re having your favorite"

"Really? What is it?

“Food”

They just hated that.

Guess I was a mean parent.

2 Likes