What's Your "Answer to Indifference"?

You could try to convince your mother that “whatever” is a shortcut, like text message abbreviations, for “whatever you would enjoy cooking will be fine and much appreciated.” It’s worth a shot.

3 Likes

I actually think that answer can come across as quite disrespectful to the person cooking, even if it wasn’t intended as such.

So instead I try to propose 2-3 ideas, which is enough to move the ball forward.

4 Likes

Hmm. Certainly not as intended. I’ll try to wrap my head around that perspective.

2 Likes

Oh geez, isn’t that where you are quarantined? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Thai food makes everyone happy. If we are eating in its usually breakfast for dinner.
On my own its either fried clams or a baked potato.

3 Likes

This is my DH. While he always appreciates what I make, he would be just as happy with a bowl of cereal or a steak dinner. I usually just decide what to cook and that’s that. If I have a few ideas, I’ll offer up the choices and let him pick. His usual response is, “whatever is easiest.” I realize having eaten most meals at home for the past 6 weeks, that our “indifference” was usually around where to go out to…seems silly now.

1 Like

:joy:
Indeed it is.

3rd adult often uses being vegetarian as an excuse to make an entirely different meal - which makes no sense because 3/4 of the other 2 meals are also vegetarian - aside from the protein :rofl:.

But eleventeen weeks in, I’m learning not to care.

I, meanwhile, am used to planning - or at least having a rough outline - of meals for the week, so the constant ad hoc planning and last-minute cooking is exhausting in all locations other than my own :joy:

5 Likes

I no longer ask. Usually dh asks “What’s for dinner?” I answer, “Surprise”.
It’s only dinner, and life is short.

6 Likes

Haha! That reminds me that when he comes in the kitchen and asks “watcha doin’”?, I always say “not sure yet”, to avoid him offering “suggestions”.

7 Likes

Oh, yes. My mantra is “name it after you plate it”. That way, there is no argument over authenticity or expectations.

6 Likes

I wish I’d been a fly on the wall when you made the oyster mayonnaise. That must have been a hoot. :grinning:

1 Like

Gurl; Yes! Some looking (daughter). Mostly hiding.

1 Like

that’s exactly what i was wondering too?!

i’m quarantined in my own house and i find the increased need to plan based on grocery delivery scarcity exhausting. it’s ALL exhausting. sometimes the cooking and meal planning is a respite from everything else going on, and other times it all feels like too much to manage (and i LOVE menu planning, cooking, etc.).

6 Likes

Pizza always works

Oh my gosh, you’ve just summarized my feelings so perfectly. Thank you for putting into words some of the emotions I’ve had kicking around! I have always used cooking and meal planning as a coping tool, and that’s no longer the case necessarily.

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

I don’t live with indifference. Me “Honey what do you want for dinner”
Her “fish”…sigh.

2 Likes

Hear, hear!

3 Likes

Made me laugh :joy:

1 Like