What's For Dinner #98 - the Pumpkin-Freaking-Everything! Edition - September 2023

Yeah. People are different.

That’s how I am when I see various English transliterations of Greek dishes.

3 Likes

This one was toasted slivered almonds, Zante currants, dried cherries, honey crisp, home-grown celery, mayo, sour cream, with a little lemon and vinegar.

1 Like

Thank you for the interesting article. I love all things language related. I’ve bookmarked the website for future reference.

2 Likes

Here it is on our local resto’s menu:

The Thai chef/owner, Sujitra Chubthaisong, trained at the Royal Palace in Bangkok, Thailand. One of 400 of 40,000 applicants selected. Pretty cool story.

7 Likes

Yes. It’s on menus everywhere. Best not show my buddy :wink:

1 Like

“ GEORGE RESTAURANT “ - An impeccable dining venue for our annual ‘ joint man-only ‘ birthday bash!

Ever since I moved from Calgary to Toronto almost 3 decades ago. Due to the close proximity of our birthdays, my brother-in-law and I had been holding regular, annual ‘Joint men-only ‘ birthday bash for the past 20+ years. To celebrate this special occasion, we tried to select a new and different venue each year. Our only selection criteria was that the candidate destination must offer tasting menus with wine pairing. To date, we have eaten in, now-defunct stars, like Avalon, Perigee, Senses, Splendido and Truffles…., to ageless wonders like George, Scaramouche, Auberge du Pommier…. and to newer kids on the block like Alo and Frilu …etc. To add variety and intrigue, we have even driven all the way out west to Langdon Hall as well as way out east to Treadwell in NOTL!

Tonight, we picked up our tradition after a three year hiatus caused by the pandemic. For celebration this year, we have also decided to depart from our previous ‘no repetitive venue‘ criteria and picked ‘George‘ as our birthday venue, again!

Rationale for this ‘no-brainer‘ decision was based on our last visit a couple of months ago. During that occasion, we received from Chef Lorenzo and his team, the most friendly and generous hospitality plus some wondrous food. As I frequently alluded to, when dining out, it is the ‘complete total package‘ that counts. In George’s case, all these criteria of ‘ food, service, wine, decor, ambience, value… .etc ’ were easily met and more.

This evening, braving bumper to bumper traffic, the result of a sudden thunderstorm, we slowly, I mean S-L-O-W-L-Y, made our way downtown from way up north!

As usual, we chose an ‘ Omakase ‘ multi-course chef’s tasting menu, letting Chef Lorenzo and his talented team decide on our evening’s culinary fate. Our only requisite being that, if possible, a game meat be featured as our main meat course. Furthermore, since we’ll be driving after dark in inclement weather, we also decided to lower our alcohol consumption by just having a glass of Prosecco and an off-dry Riesling in lieu of our regular full wine pairing routine.

The following dishes made up our 7 courses +… offering:

• Roasted Carrot and Toasted Quinoa Gazpacho

• Jumbo Diver Scallop and Cucumber Ceviche

• House Cured ‘Gravlax Style’ Wild Ocean Trout, Heirloom Tomatoes

• Broiled Octopus with Fava Beans

• Seared Foie Gras and Crispy Sweetbread

• Roasted Venison Loin with Red Wine Reduction and Crispy Potato Galette

• Cheese course of Quebec Sheep’s Cheese and Ontario Cow’s Cheese

• Palette cleanser: Lemon and Basil Sorbet

• Dessert : White Chocolate Panna Cotta

George’s 20th Anniversary Beignet with Molten Chocolate Centre

Visually, the meal composition adopted a beautiful and eye-pleasing ‘ Pastel ‘ theme. Main ingredients were expertly cooked and executed, accompanied by some very creative and intriguing supporting condiments and tasty sauces. The tender, nicely charred Octopus, the seared Foie Gras and crispy Sweetbread plus the tender, sweet, perfectly seared and gloriously rare interior pieces of Venison were true thumbs-up standouts. During the course of our dinner, the chef also brought out a couple of really enjoyable complimentary surprises…… .a freshly baked, hot, crispy, flaky, fluffy, light, ultra-buttery Croissant and a couple of piping hot ‘20th anniversary‘ Molten Chocolate center Beignets. The former, so good, it can easily rub shoulders with some of Paris’ best! The latter, tough to beat even in New Orleans!!

Sadly the evening did have a couple of miniscule downsides. Firstly, the service was less warm compared to our last visit, though the amount of attention was about the same. As well, the quality of wine recommended was a bit disappointing. The overly acidic Charles Barker Riesling from Niagara was one dimensional, lacking in both depth and complexity.

Still, overall, the meal was a most memorable and enjoyable one!

19 Likes

Wow. those are some stunning pics!

2 Likes

My local Thai restaurant.

laab

3 Likes

Why do I feel the sudden urge to look up recipes for “dead horse” laab/larb/larp/laap? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Holy smokes - so many amazing dishes you enjoyed!

1 Like

I can see devouring those 7 petite courses!

1 Like

Mea culpa, I missed the obituary.

2 Likes

Don’t forget “lahb”

2 Likes

Scallion-ginger noodles with leftover bulgogi tonight.

I did better with the chow mein noodles tonight, which are a lot skinnier than the hakka noodles I was using before, and somehow trickier than capellini.

22 Likes

Yum!

1 Like

I made Impossible Burgers served up with a platter of veggies and herb dip and kettle chips.

24 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a Greek salad minus the feta cheese. I usually get take out for lunch on Fridays so I have a salad for dinner. Today I had all the fixins for a Greek salad including a little feta cheese that needed to be used up. When I opened the container the cheese smelled okay but had the same consistency of silken tofu so I pitched it. Tha salad tasted good even without the cheese.

21 Likes

Sausage/peppers/onions on toasted baguette ,provolone and Parmigianino Reggiano, side salad for health. Molto bene :pinched_fingers: :pinched_fingers:

22 Likes

I’m back. :+1:
So is full electrical power after 12 days. :+1::+1:
I have AC. :+1::+1::+1:
I’m cooking. :heart:
I’m in my happy place. :grin:
(Other than Wegmans, which I’ll be visiting tomorrow since tomorrow’s Saturday is Haircut Day).

Went super simple with what was in the downstairs fridge and freezer and easily defrosted in a short amount of time:

Shrimp Scampi with defrosted Argentinian red shrimp. Basmati rice and steamed asparagus alongside. And you can be DAMNED sure there was wine tonight!

33 Likes