What's For Dinner #98 - the Pumpkin-Freaking-Everything! Edition - September 2023

Congrats!

1 Like

Did you like them?

That is GREAT news!! YEAH!!

2 Likes

My lazy version of chicken cordon bleu with an ultra faux Cumberland sauce. Boneless chicken breasts topped with a sauce made of grape jam, red wine, butter, thickened with cornstarch. Then some off the bone slices of ham. Baked until almost done. Smothered with Swiss and lightly browned. Last of the frozen garden mustard greens (tg). And some cheesy garlic bread.

18 Likes

Yeah, they’re a reasonably good facsimile.

1 Like

Bluefish with Dijon mustard, lime juice and lime zest, a very oldie but goodie recipe from the original How To Cook Everything, but done on foil on a gas grill instead of under a broiler. Cherry tomatoes and shallots in a different foil packet on the grill, green beans. Very tasty, sorry for terrible pic.

24 Likes

Cheezboigahs & COTC with the PSTOB&S. I seem to remember TJ’s organic ground beef being more flavorful, less springy, but it was a-ok for a low key Friday night meal.

23 Likes

:bouquet:Yay!!!:pray:

1 Like

Pickerel with soy, maple, sesame seeds, sesame oil , ginger, garlic and mirin,
Maple parsnips,
Braised leeks,
Garlic shrimp,
Tomato gratin,
Corn on the cob,
Maple Baked beans from a can ( overdid the maple tonight :joy:),
Purchased Jamocha Almond Fudge cake.

20 Likes

Jumping on the quesadilla train. Here with mashed beans, leftover roast chicken, and - wait for it - Velveeta.

20 Likes

HUZZAH!! as I throw a shot of gin down my throat, glass over my shoulder.

7 Likes

I found some good cotc and tomatoes at the farmer’s market so that was wfd. Along with a beef/chorizo patty, a little dish of drippings, L&P and horseradish. Sangria to drink.

22 Likes

Cross post from Dish of the Quarter:

Zaru soba with okra, ikura, nori, carrots and pickles (both from my garden), silken tofu and scallions. Very nice hot weather dish.

21 Likes

We enjoyed a fabulous dinner at Fiorentini in Rutherford, NJ, including Raviolone with ricotta, egg yolk, butter, sage, and truffles; black ink tagliolini uni cacio e pepe; wagyu steak tartare with a farm yolk; seafood risotto; skate; delicious warm chicken livers with marsala; tortello with wold boar ragu; lemon tart; lavender creme brûlée. It all went great with an excellent Amarone and cabernet.

15 Likes

The most important part of everything you’ve been through!

Glad you are back to normal!

3 Likes

Thank goodness. What an ordeal. I still have PTSD from Hurricane Isabel that knocked out our power for just a week

2 Likes

Yet another big green salad with butter lettuce, cukes, tomato, Kalamata olives, radish, blue cheese crumbles, and a sherry vinegrette. Alongside long skinny eggplant stir fried with spicy Italian sausage and a miso, rice vinegar, soy sauce dressing.

22 Likes

What a relief! You must be so happy.

3 Likes

Oof. Glad you are on the other side of that, that must have been just awful for ALL the reasons.

1 Like

Sometimes it is surprising what high quality restaurants you find in unassuming little towns. On a recent trip to Santa Cruz we were quite interested at visiting Mentone https://www.mentonerestaurant.com/ run by David Kinch, former owner and chef of Manresa. The restaurant isn’t located in Santa Cruz but several miles out in the small town of Aptos. And even though this is obviously not another approach on high-end dining from Chef Kinch, you still see many philosophies from Manresa utilized at Mentone, e.g. quality of ingredients, flawless cooking, some interesting flavor combinations, plating etc. Mentone can easily compete with many of the more upscale Italian places in SFO and it is great to hear that Mentone will expand to Los Gatos which is much closer to home but for now at least we will also have a good place when visiting Santa Cruz for a weekend trip.

Salumi plate - Coppa, finocciona

Flannery beef tartare, dijon, shallot, chive, parm, potato chips

Eggplant, calabrian pesto, fromage blanc, preserved lemon, mint

Tocco, bolognese, housemade corzetti, pecorino

Pizza funghi, chanterelles, hen of the woods, caramelized onions, taleggio, mozzarella, balsamic

Pork belly & scallops, roast red kuri squash, braised fennel, scallop sauce

Lemon curd, fior di latte, pistachio

Hazelnut gelato

Good cocktail program

21 Likes