What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

OMG yum!

1 Like

Last night we made knife-cut noodles with CSA broccoli and corn topped with TJ’s crispy pork belly. Pretty delish.

20 Likes

Yum! Howz the foot coming along?

I used flank

2 Likes

Thanks for asking - not hurting too badly. My stamina could be better. I took an extra iron supplement and some calcium this morning.

3 Likes

OMG, of course they were! My bad - I knew they’re fiddleheads, as they’re a big deal here in New England when they arrive in stores. For whatever reason, I said ramps. Eejit LindaWhit!

1 Like

Korean was wfd tonight.

I made my weekly pandemic special of Japchae for mom and sis, with mixed mushrooms as the star component (we had button and some gorgeous oyster mushrooms, but I forgot the soaked shiitake in my scramble to get dinner done after a visitor stayed too late). Also in play: carrots, spinach, onion, and spring onion.

Accompaniments (totally unnecessary for me but I thought the others might not be satisfied with “just” noodles): Chicken lollipops (wings) and Beyond steak in a gochujang glaze (the Buldak Bal recipe from Koreatown, paging @LulusMom1).

I couldn’t remember if mom liked Japchae as we ate it last in NYC K-town almost a decade ago, so I kept aside some of the vegetables for her in case she didn’t. BUT she cleaned out the small bowl of noodles and said she really liked them, which had me pleased as punch – that she finished a serving of something, primarily!

22 Likes

To celebrate the first dinner I’m cooking in my Bk apartment in three years, I made my favorite vegetable, one I couldn’t get in my pandemic exile: broccoli rabe.

I also made chicken sausage but it’s the broc that made my day :two_hearts:

22 Likes

Got some shitty health news today, so our OG plans of wagyu cheeborgerz and fries morphed into MOAR martinis at the gay bar followed by wingsover delivery. My PIC made blue cheese dip for the ample amount of celery we had at home, which we almost finished before the wings showed up.

7 Likes

Welcome home, MIG!!!

1 Like

sorry to hear that.

3 Likes

My dinner plan for making lentils and chorizo, along with my resolve to cook from what I have on hand, crumbled today when we spied fresh halibut on sale (in March!). Instead, there was caldo verde (using most of the same ingredients) together with homemade baguette.

Kale, potatoes, carrot and bay from the garden.

17 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: Kitchen still isn’t firing on all cylinders (literally every item must be washed, ugh, and all staples replaced) but it felt good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can’t imagine. I am in awe of what some folks sacrificed during the pandemic.

2 Likes

Note to self, you knew better than to buy chicken sausage. Ugh.

2 Likes

So sorry to hear that. Hope that you get through it as soon and smoothly as can be.

4 Likes

Fingers crossed …

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that, and hope it’s not as bad as it seems today.

4 Likes

We end March with more adventures in sous vide, in which we do right by the shrimp, and very, very wrong by the broccoli. I’m sorry, broccoli.

17 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was Vegetable Fried Rice (onion, celery, carrots and peas). I also added some mushrooms that were starting to get old.

15 Likes