What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

Wow.

1 Like

In which I finally try this sous vide thing I’ve heard so much about.

Pretty nice! To be continued.

13 Likes

Worry not.

Think of it as a well deserved break from manual labor. (No pun intended)

Get well soon, eat more yogurt (for the calcium)!

5 Likes

Stir fried cabbage

Stir fried mustard greens

Air-fryer salmon (is it obvious I snuck in a bite before the picture was taken :slight_smile: )

19 Likes

Big hockey game tonight. Rangers vs. Devils. Mom and BF could care less but joined me. We had an impromptu appetizer night. The food was better than the result of the game.

Can you believe these are baked??? Justin led with this Korean cauliflower dish. The florets are coated in flour, black pepper, egg, and panko, and baked on a rack until crisp. They are then tossed in a glaze of soy sauce, honey, Sriracha, gochujang, and five-spice powder before being baked again. They appear to be fresh out of the deep fryer but there is no oil at all.

Mozzarella en Carrozza. Air-fried. Rao’s Marinara. Shaved Asiago.

Last one: Lobster Roll “Sliders”. Butter, dab of mayo to bind, lemon juice, salt, pepper, Old Bay, garlic powder, and chive. These were supposed to be the highlight but were just ok. I had a busy day today which included a lecture and shooting footage for my new-ish documentary series (those who follow me on Instagram know) and I saw a bag of frozen lobster meat at the grocery store and thought “Why not?”. The texture was almost there but the flavor was very fishy and lacked that beautiful sweetness freshly cooked lobster meat has. Oh well. Live and learn.

There were cocktails.

27 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was stirfried veggies (mushrooms, red pepper, bok choy) served over linguine. Terrible plating but it tasted good… Leftovers for tomorrow.

16 Likes

Every single dish there looks gorgeous. And that cake! Is it as good as it looks?

My PIC gave one of those rare talks I decided to attend (The History of the Weird) yesterday late afternoon, and we grabbed some HH drinks and a bite afterwards at the local gay bar. I had two delightful Märzen & a dry AF martini with Bloedlemoen gin and orange twist, and we shared the calamari salad with spicy cukes. My PIC also ordered the spicy sausage banh mi. It was alright, the sausage didn’t quite work for me, as I was expecting a sausage with Asian flavors, not a spicy Italian.

Fun night as ever.

15 Likes

And ramps! Your meal looks wonderful - especially that lamb!

2 Likes

Thank you! It was quite delicious! The gingerbread was dark and rich, the kumquats sweet/tart, and the frosting creamy. Great combination.

3 Likes

Thanks! Those were actually pickled fiddlehead ferns! Everything was outstanding. The chef is a true artist.

2 Likes

That salad looks delicious. What was the dressing like, flavor-wise?

Heavy on the soy, could’ve used a little more lime/acidity for my taste. And I would’ve loved a spicy component as well. The calamari were perfectly tender, but a little one-note: salty. Thankfully, I like salty :wink:

1 Like

Last night I made a recipe that I made 3 times in January after mom and I saw it in the LA Times. Out in LA, I used amazing asparagus from the Torrance Farmers Market and we both loved it, hence the repeats. Reprised yesterday using TJ’s asparagus and it was just ok.

16 Likes

That sounds reallllllly good! I love steak and asparagus, and this might make it a little more palatable for my PIC who’s not big on asparagus.

We liked it a lot but due to the few number of ingredients, quality of each is paramount. There were, as always, some snarky haters in the comments but mustard/garlic forward is not a bad thing in my book.

What cut of steak did you use?

Really fresh asparagus has no equal.

Thanks for the link! I printed it out. It looks right up our alley.

1 Like

Sounds incredible. Your dad’s memory is going strong.

3 Likes

Holy moly, wow, that all looks great!

1 Like