What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

We may need to start a club! When my orthopedist friend read the report from the urgent care radiologist (I was out of town at the time) he was as concerned about the metatarsal as the ankle as I guess the location of those breaks make all the difference. So until he actually saw the X-rays and cat scan I wasn’t supposed to bear weight on the left and minimize weight bearing on the right, and try to make sure I was on my heel. Thankfully it became a relative non-issue.

2 Likes

I saw 2 students in the (university) hall this fall with knee scooters. Sports season had begun, evidently.
I had a fifth metatarsal break decades ago. Happily it wasn’t back by the ankle tendon where it could be pulled apart by motion. It healed in about 3 weeks.

2 Likes

I had a cat a few years ago and Your Highness ruled the roost. Trying to convince him otherwise was an exercise in futility.

3 Likes

You knew ski season was underway when the crutches and knee scooters showed up at the office every February :joy:

4 Likes

This looks really good right now!

1 Like

Dinner tonight was half leftovers from dinner last night.

We had soup and sandwiches both days. Mom had fresh bread, butter and cheese yesterday. Today she was advised to cut back on grains to reduce inflammation after an extended and specific physio machine routine, so she had salad and sausage (beyond italian, quite delicious).

Our sandwiches were dad favorite corned beef (canned, leftover in the freezer from his most recent meal of it) and our favorite smoked salmon (TJs oak smoked)l, which I can eat straight out of the package and often do).

Soup tonight was a delicious carrot concoction that my sister made, last night was an equally delicious but different one made from bottle gourd and other assorted things.

Salad tonight was fresh malai (cream) paneer with tomato – reminiscent of caprese but even fresher-tasting somehow. I picked up the paneer from the paneer shop when I went for a walk earlier. (Malai paneer is to paneer as burrata is to mozzarella, except that the whole cheese is softer and richer, not just the center.) last night we just sliced up tomatoes and ate them plain.

13 Likes

Can you share a recipe for the khoresht?

Too late to add pics to post:

Also forgot that we had a hot snack with tea yesterday as a prelude to dinner (and mom had another one with dinner because I put it on the side to tempt her): Batatawadas ie spiced potato balls in gram flour batter. Family fave (but especially dad’s — the last time I ate them was when mom made them for him for breakfast just before I left in Jan).

Sis paid me a high compliment in usual suspicious sibling fashion :rofl: when she insisted I had done something different to the batter, because they were light and crisp and they very often aren’t (my answer was that I did what mom taught me to, lol).

19 Likes

That’s the pits, speedy recovery.

1 Like

here you go!

i should have said in my post that the dish is typically made with beef, and sometimes lamb, which what I did.

and oh my, that does sound like a VERY odd combo - brave of you to even try!

3 Likes

here you go. beef is typical, rather than lamb, but i saw recipes that gave the option.

2 Likes

Thanks! Having made this, do you think that powdered black lime would work? Maybe 1 tsp? There is a note in the recipe that lime juice can be subbed, but nothing about lime powder…

1 Like

Thanks! Good chance it’ll be my Seder centerpiece this year.

1 Like

If it’s quite fine, I’d add about a half a teaspoon to a tablespoon per lime – I think it will vary quite a bit depending on how recently the powder was ground etc. Extrapolating from amchoor powder, which has a similar feel/purpose.

2 Likes

So glad that your mother is enjoying some food.

What is her secret for light and crisp batatawada batter?

1 Like

For our third and final anniversary celebration we enjoyed a sensational Chef’s table dinner at Fiorentini in Rutherford, NJ. Among other things we enjoyed:
Amuse: Lamb shank cannoli, black garlic and truffle.
Appetizer Roasted cauliflower Tart, spring vegetables, idiazabail cheese First course: Coral risotto, colossal crab, Meyer lemon, tarragon.
Second course: Turbot, clams, leeks, guanciale, garlic, parsley, buttermilk Third course: Grass fed lamb, green vegetables, castelfranco radicchio, sherry jus
Pre dessert: Banana sorbet, caramel mou
Dessert: Zuppa inglese

The above was copy and pasted from the chef. There was also outstanding octopus and pillowy soft gnudi.

11 Likes

Rick Bayless’s Roadside Chicken, roasted with potatoes, fennel, and onions and served with corn tortillas and salsa macha for taco making. My write up of the recipe is here. Lots of leftovers for weekend nibbling.

22 Likes

Chicken-zucchini-parmesan meatballs over bucatini with homemade basil pesto. Roasted asparagus vinaigrette.

Zucc and basil put up last summer; asparagus freshly picked.

22 Likes

" O’Mei, Richmond Hill " - A superlative 12 pound ’ Alaskan Red King Crab ’ prepared 6 ways paired with some equally superb vintage wine.

Creatively and lovingly prepared 6 ways, our King Crab dishes are as follow:

• Steamed smaller legs with Chinese rice wine, chicken fat and julienne scallions and ginger on a bed of rice vermicelli

• Steamed middle legs with fried minced garlic and julienne scallions, finished off with sizzling oil

• Fried large upper legs with salted duck egg yolk coating

• Sauteed Crab body and onions with house secret top soy/maggi sauce

• Steamed egg custard 'charamushi ’ with crab meat and brains

• Fried rice with Chinese preserved meat and sausages and crab tamale.

• Sauteed Chinese Kale ( Gai-Lan ) with sun dried tiled fish

The wine:

14 Likes

It’s been a long while for me! I’ve been cooking some, with a week off when husband cooked. But somehow not motivated to post. Today though, something pretty. Chinese-esque Dinner of pepper steak and tofu in brown sauce over rice. Once we find any room in our bellies then gingerbread cake with cream cheese frosting and candied kumquats.

26 Likes