What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

Ack! What happened? I hope it heals quickly!

1 Like

Pro tip: Serve your noodles and cottage cheese in a big bowl to make it look like fancyfood.

10 Likes

Ouch! Hope it heals more quickly than expected!

3 Likes

Very frustrating half day of work.
Then the rest of the day off for a doctor’s appointment.

Dinner was a throw together: some thinly sliced onions, quickly browned in butter for about 10-15 minutes. 2 Tbsp of dry marsala added to cook down most of the liquid, and removed to a small bowl.

A bone-in pork chop seasoned with s/p and dried thyme, quickly seared in olive oil in the same pan. Removed to a baking pan and added 1/2 cup chicken stock, simmering until reduced a bit. Added the marsala onions to warm up and blend, then poured everything over the chop and baked at 400° for 10-12 minutes (it wasn’t a fat chop).

Sides were boiled buttered and s/p’d potatoes and carrots.

And I decided the earlier frustration deserved a glass of wine.

20 Likes

Seems like you’re speaking from experience :joy_cat:

So sorry to hear of your foot! Empathy vibes coming your way.

But… how did you like the cock-a-leekie soup? Is it something you would make again?

1 Like

Looks and sounds great!

1 Like

My mother has given up roasting turkey but still only buys kosher chicken - usually from Trader Joes.

I’m glad you’ve found a cooking style that works for you. As you note, we are all different which is one of the main reasons I love WFD.

3 Likes

It was very allium forward. I think I prefer chicken noodle.

1 Like

My sister!! I also broke the fifth metatarsal on my right foot this summer, as well as my fibula/ankle on my left side. For a while I was non-bearing on either foot but after a second opinion it turned out the metatarsal break was relatively minor. On the other hand, the ankle required surgery, a plate and seven pins. I initially thought I would be non-weight bearing for a minimum of 10-12 weeks but evidently my bones broke easily but also healed fast so that I was able to begin walking in 8 weeks. I doubled my calcium and ate protein with every meal.

You’d be surprised how much you can manage. I highly recommend a knee scooter. It makes it so much easier to get around. If you were closer I’d lend you mine.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

10 Likes

A new-to-me recipe from the New York Times for Lemony Greek Chicken, Spinach and Potato Stew. All the flavors we love, and ingredients we typically keep on hand. So easy - will make again. Served with toasted homemade bread on the side.

Potatoes, spinach, rosemary and fennel (sub for dill) from the garden.

15 Likes

Sautéed thick bone in pork chops. Baked with sage and apple until tender with a little cheap white wine and Calvados. Then topped with crispy bacon and blue cheese. Leftover sour cream horseradish potato’s and roasted asparagus. Along with a little white wine Calvados au jus. And to be perfectly honest with you, I wasn’t all that thrilled with it.

17 Likes

Oh no!:dizzy_face: Take care of that hoof and enjoy all the pampering you can get out of that. If you get a boot, stuff it well to keep from your leg from getting chafed.:+1:

1 Like

Well this looks like it SHOULD have been outstanding - nice plating, and the asparagus and bacon alone are enough to make me smile. Isn’t it odd how sometimes our own cooking just doesn’t satisfy? My theory is we saturate / “fill up” with the scents of the food as it cooks, so the taste when served is diminished.

4 Likes

At French Louie in Brooklyn, I had gougeres (first time. So delicious!) and a bitter salad of Trevino, castelfranco, orange, etc.

For dessert, a Paris-Brest, also my first time eating this, and it was chef’s kiss good. I want to learn to make it now.

Making up for lost time!

17 Likes

I saw it made the other day on ATK.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been eyeing it for a long time. The truth is I have zero experience making choux, and to be honest at least half the choux I’ve eaten in my life was unremarkable. But now that I’ve had it done well, I’m motivated!

3 Likes

They make it look very achievable!

1 Like

Thank you! If I recall correctly it was from Home Bargains which I don’t know if you have in the US. I actually want to replace it eventually as it’s still my first starter set I bought when I first moved to the country.

Also I hope you recover quickly from your injury :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ouch! So sorry to hear.

Another recoveree from 5th metatarsal fracture here: I fell off a 1-foot step stool, also twisted my foot and fell on it… crunch. (Few days before I was to return from India, so I had to postpone by 2 weeks so my mom wouldn’t have a complete meltdown about me traveling with a fresh fracture.)

They said I didn’t need a cast as long as I stayed off the foot, but had them put one on anyway mostly so other people remembered I had a broken foot. Could have used just a boot, though. Also no knee scooter needed because: 5th metatarsal is apparently the “best” thing you could fracture on your foot (aside from toes, which are @$&@& painful, I’ve done that a few times too), it doesn’t impede balance etc and it’s flat to the ground (my sil had the scooter for a while after she had ankle surgery, and I had to convince her I really didn’t need it handed down to me :joy:).

Of course your recovery includes a little guy running around, so be extra careful. Wish you a speedy and full recovery, and minimal frustration and boredom along the way!

5 Likes