What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

Fabulous birthday meal!

1 Like

It looks delizioso. A happy birthday to BF.

1 Like

Red lentil soup with onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, tomato, vegetable broth and cilantro. Served with some yoghurt.

17 Likes

That’s an amazing birthday meal - happy B-Day to him!

1 Like

I was scrolling REALLY fast and saw the white in the middle of the bowl and thought “HOW the hell did @honkman get the soup to go just around the outside of the bowl, leaving the middle empty? Cool plating!” :woman_facepalming: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

9 Likes

Happy birthday to him! Great meal.

1 Like

A very happy birthday to the BF. Dinner looks fabulous!!! :birthday:

1 Like

A real labour of love!! A very happy (late) birthday to your BF. Sounds like a wonderful meal.

2 Likes

I made a chicken gyro salad for dinner tonight. The recipe is from the Smitten Kitchen website and is probably one of my favourite dishes. I had some bs chicken breasts in the freezer and salad ingredients in the fridge. Add leftover tzatziki from Sunday’s dinner and naan chips using the last of the naan from last Thursday’s takeout dinner and dinner tonight was ready in no time at all.

19 Likes

I made NYT’s brothy Thai curry but subbed yellow curry paste and dialed it back for kid palate. Per @linguafood 's recommendation I added baby spinach and fish (flounder) plus some butternut squash “noodles”. The herbs were cilantro, scallion, and Italian basil (cue Whitney: “It’s not right but it’s OK”). I added fish sauce, coconut sugar, lime juice, and lemongrass and served over angel hair. Tasty. I would use firm tofu next time - wasn’t crazy about the texture here, although I love it in that Sichuan fish dish.

21 Likes

Please join us in nominating the April Cookbook of the Month. Nomination thread here:

1 Like

Roasted haddock with coconut, mace, cloves, and lime, with peanutty salsa macha. Adapted from here - https://food52.com/recipes/88882-coconut-roasted-cod-salsa-macha

Rather than tacos, we flaked up the fish and had it on tortilla chips, but this would make superlative tacos!

21 Likes

Looks and sounds amazing. The recipe writer and I have different ideas of simple :joy:

1 Like

When I make this again, the key will be making the salsa macha first. Then the fish. I used an immersion blender instead of a regular one. Hot oil in a open container with a spinning blade - I chose poorly.

3 Likes

Nothing special but tasty. Grilled hamburgers topped with merlot cheddar , Earl Campbells sausage and fresh cooked French fries with onions. Also, I watched RR make Dirty Martini Shrimp Linguini yesterday. Even though I don’t care for gin, I was still mulling it over in my mind. But the more I thought about it, I’m glad I talked myself out of it.

17 Likes

Another night of fridge, freezer and pantry clean-out: Hurst’s 15 bean soup, with added tomatoes, carrots, onion, celery and ham. Salad is comprised of romaine in Caesar dressing, with croutons made from the tail ends of a savory bacon, onion and gruyere loaf.

There will be freshly baked sour-cherry pie for dessert (Happy Pi Day!).

21 Likes

That cherry pie looks gorgeous! Happy pie dsy.

3 Likes

Thank you! It was pretty good. :yum:

2 Likes

Shrimp “Bittman’s Way” ( garlic, cumin, hot paprika), broccoli “Bittman’s Way” (same), and rice from the artist previously known as “Uncle Ben”.

25 Likes

I made crab crepes with mornay sauce. Asparagus and tomato, cucumber, red onion salad with balsamic & oo dressing. It was disappointing, crepes a wee bit thick and so was the sauce, I thought it would melt a little when I put in under the broiler.
There was a hot (heat hot not spicy hot) red snapper. Much needed after running errands in the rain.

24 Likes