What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

Al pastor style pork tacos

21 Likes

H made pies for Pi Day! A ground lamb, Moroccan inspired Shepard’s Pie, and a blueberry pie, using frozen berries from our yard bush. I was under the weather with zero appetite, so I didn’t take a single bite. I take that back, I had a couple pieces of the appetizer he made with leftover olive oil dough, with feta and Kalamata olives rolled up jelly roll style. Very good. The blueberry pie was in a butter/Crisco crust.

23 Likes

Hope you’re feeling better and that there were leftovers!

1 Like

Thanks - yes leftovers, just getting ready to dive in to the Shepard’s Pie.

3 Likes

My PIC’s back from his OH conference, so I actually made dinner (yesterday was shrimp cocktail & martinis with a buddy): seared pork chops seasoned with Penzey’s Krakow nights, B’ sprouts roasted with shallot and bacon, and one of my favorite winter salads & one of very few exceptions of my "no sweet shit in salty foods plz"rule - Belgian endive with tangerines in creamy dill dressing. The key is lots of fresh ground black pepper & a healthy dose of lemon. Walnut oil, walnut mustard & crème fraîche make it all come together.

21 Likes

Grilled out beef fajitas, onions, poblanos and flour tortillas. Refied beans, avocado and a dab of butter to go with bagged tortilla chips. One of my favorite meals. And in the background are four very ripe bananas for Aunt Holly’s banana bread tomorrow. :slightly_smiling_face:

19 Likes

A lemony, New England style fish chowder loosely based on this Epicurious recipe.

Today’s version featured Alaskan halibut from the freezer, and a surplus of garden veg: shallots, carrots, potatoes, scallion, green beans, peas and bay leaves. Served with toasted, homemade Italian stirato on the side.

19 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was sautėed chicken livers with mushrooms and onions served over farfalle.

14 Likes

" Top Choice Chinese Restaurant, Kennedy/Hwy#7, Markham " - Commendable Cantonese Cuisine!

Following an ex-chowhounder footsteps and echoing his spot-on review on another food-blog

, our casual family dinner at Top Choice tonight was truly filling, enjoyable and satisfying.

Dishes ordered include:

• Fried crispy Tiger Prawns in spicy peppered salt
  • Sweet and Sour Pork
  • Pan fried beef short ribs with onions and Teriyaki glaze
  • Sauteed BC Clams in black bean sauce
  • Sauteed Yellow Fin Grouper filet with Asparagus and King Oysters
  • Stirred fried sliced beef with Chinese Kale
  • Silken tofu, ginger infused sugar syrup ( complimentary dessert )

Pros: - Well executed and delicious food. Balanced, well seasoned
and full of wok-hay stirred fry

• Extremely huge and generous portion at reasonable pricing
  • Rare, out-of-the-norm complimentary dessert
  • Friendly, cheerful and helpful staff
  • Fine quality, deep flavour complimentary Chinese tea ( Pu-
    erh )

Cons: - Apart from the slightly over-handed salty black bean sauce,
nothing negative worth mentioning

Couple of side notes and interesting observation:

13 Likes

Ham and cheese

19 Likes

(post deleted by author)

In the previous Millennium we were sitting on the Blue Line for a way out of market (not NHL city) pre-season game and during warmups only the glass separated us from No. 99. Our companion remarked: “He’s a little guy.” (Takes up a lot of room on the scoresheets and record books though.)

1 Like

I made chicken Cordon Bleu casserole in the Instant Pot. My DH made a nice sharp salad alongside. I had a glass of CA Gewurztraminer.

22 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was peanut butter noodles with baby corn and snow peas.

15 Likes

That alone would bring me in…we are a Korean family who played/love hockey.

Made moo ping with leftover pork loin chops (though butt or shoulder chops or country-style BL ribs would likely be better), and an HO air-fryer recipe for Chinese eggplant that’s slathered with a sauce of chopped scallions, garlic, ginger, black vinegar, soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, sriracha & sesame oil.

To augment dinner & add a fresh element we ordered som tam from a local Thai for takeout. We usually stick to a different place, but we were lazy and this place is closer. We’d not had their food since our first and last visit many moons ago, but since I’d heard you can now order “Thai spicy” food we gave them another shot.

The portion was a little meagre compared to the other place, but brought the heat. Unfortunately, still too heavy on the sugar for us, and not a hint of dried shrimp or fish sauce.

18 Likes

Big ol’ shrimp fest tonight. I delved back into exploring Maharashtrian recipes while BF was out drinking with work colleages. Two recipes - Mumbaiya Butter Garlic Prawns and Marathi Kolambi Masala. I also had some leftover vegetable pulao and some steamed broccoli with salsa macha. I left the table well stuffed and plenty of leftovers to bring to work for lunch tomorrow!

20 Likes

Leftover 15 Bean Soup. Toasted homemade baguette.

16 Likes

The pile on my plate is a chili size. Ground beef patty, diced onion, garlic, poblano pepper, cilantro and beaten egg. Seasoned with chili powder, cumin, coriander, Mexican oregano and then grilled. Served over grilled sourdough and topped with Texas BBQ beans from a can, onion, sharp cheddar and cilantro. Salad of mixed greens, cucumber, avocado, green onion, ranch dressing,Tajin. Wine.

18 Likes

Turkey leg, broccolini, tots, stuffing, and cranberry sauce.

22 Likes