What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

Oh yeah. I didn’t find this very spicy at all.

2 Likes

Tonight I turned leftover rotisserie grilled chicken into pulled barbecue sandwiches in “butter buns”. Sides of green salad, steamed sugar snaps with butter, and a little leftover cole slaw on top.

21 Likes

What brand curry paste? Red or Penang? Is there more than one can of coconut milk in the soup? Still trying to wrap my head around this – and I have a high spice tolerance.

1 Like

It was chilly all weekend but rainy only on Sunday (the day we headed home), thank goodness. We mostly went as moral support for my friend dealing with difficult relative visitors. :laughing: My kiddo had a blast - he loves camping. He and his friends spent hours digging in gravel and playing in the camper.

4 Likes

Maesri red curry paste. 1 can of coconut milk, 1 pack of Wegner’s coconut lime curry “bone broth.”

:drooling_face: :fire::fire::fire:

2 Likes

It was slightly warmer than that here midday. We have a pop-up camper with a heater and electric blankets – otherwise it would be miserably cold.

3 Likes

Calamari and fusilli in spicy red wine tomato sauce with toasted bread crumbs, bone marrow, and fresh basil in the style of Marea. I had two cups of the sauce left after I made this last month and BF didn’t get a chance to try it because of his business trip. With the impending Nor’Eastern, this was just what we needed tonight!

19 Likes

Wasn’t in the mood to cook, but I had a pork chop out. So I cooked.

Quickly pan-seared the chop after seasoning with s/p. Then sauteed onions and mushrooms with some thyme, adding spicy honey mustard and white wine, reduced it all and added a small dollop of sour cream. Poured it over the chop and baked for about 25 minutes.

Reheated a leftover half a baked potato, and steamed some broccoli.

Not bad.

20 Likes

We are devotedly working down our garden surplus from last summer before next season gets rolling. Tonight we had cherry and berry vareniki from the freezer, together with Russian salad.

Blueberries, potatoes, peas, carrots and cukes (pickled) from our garden.

There will be brandied fruit for dessert.

23 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was Korean short ribs with chow mein noodles.

19 Likes

If we continue with camping, I think we’ll need to make modifications too. Right now it’s a tent and an air mattress. But I’d like to keep backpacking too, which I’m a novice at. And with that, it’s the bare minimum. So I don’t want to get too luxurious.

1 Like

here’s the Chinese pork/daikon braise i made yesterday. Recipes call for pork belly but i had a hunk of pretty fatty pork shank so i trimmed and used that. Made the whole thing in my wok, which I’ve been ignoring of late, though the BF has used it a lot. Turned out great, super homey, with the BF’s soy/mirin egg, and a couple of side salads.

24 Likes

not sure i’m understanding the method… but all we had to do was let the whole thing sit for about 10 minutes in the pan after it was done and it was perfect, and still quite hot.

I received three more dungies and some nice ling today. I made ling piccata, orzo and spinach salad with onion, avocado, mushrooms, creamy Greek dressing.

20 Likes

I feel the same. Possibly start a wasn’t in the mood to cook thread . WITMTC .Cheers :wine_glass: LOL .

4 Likes

With the IP the pasta cooks right in the sauce, so it really infuses with the flavors and develops a ton of starch for a luxurious mouth feel.

Today is BF’s birthday, and rather than go out** for dinner, he wanted me to replicate his Sunday Sauce on this rainy Monday-- we were both off. It is a recipe he is known for, though not Italian. He’s had his recipe published in a local magazine and even my late Italian grandma loved it. No small task.

I made the brascioles and meatballs myself, though the sausage is store-bought. He contributed some of his homemade foccacia. I wish you could smell the pictures.

The foccacia had olives, roasted garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, and rosemary.

**Are we getting old? :rofl: Birthdays used to mean a night out drinking (in some cases staying over in AC or New Hope) and general havoc. The anticipated noreaster was only a slight factor in the decision.

31 Likes

ohhhh cooking the pasta IN the IP… ok, got it!

1 Like

lovely, all of it! happy bfday to the BF!

1 Like