What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

I never heard him speak about “cold meatloaf sandwiches” but enjoyed listening to him.
His voice was unique and you wanted to listen. Good memories!

3 Likes

Last night was homemade fish and chips with steamed peas. My fiancé had a battered sausage instead of the fish. We loved the batter and the spicing on the chips that I used so we’re looking forward to today’s leftovers.

24 Likes

Like a corn dog? Without the stick?

Haha yes I think so! Though the sausage is a Cumberland sausage and it was in a beer batter so no cornmeal but it’s the same concept definitely

2 Likes

Any tips on your batter? It looks great !

3 Likes

That batter looks damn near perfect!

3 Likes

I do remember when skirt steaks were a bargain and what happened? Mother used to make roulades with skirt or flank, bitd. That cut is my absolute favorite for fajitas and tomato-beef-curry.

2 Likes

For those of us that don’t like to throw things away, this is a common instinct and can lead to trouble. I heard a piece on the radio years ago about someone mistaking salt for sugar in a cookie recipe, realizing before baking, not wanting to toss the batch, and trying to rescue it by doubling it so many times that they had to mix the batter in their bathtub. Sometimes it’s better to just start over! I can hardly imagine how to rescue a Thai curry when I used a cup of it (16 tbsp) instead of one tbsp.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize there was a name for this kind of thing, but we are sure catching on from each other aren’t we? That makes 4 or maybe 5 of us this month?

1 Like

Zuppa Toscana just means Tuscan soup, as in the “recipe” I gave you :wink:

Yes I realize that now after seeing a bunch of people who you probably inspired making the Tuscan soup. It’s delicious! I don’t recall ever seeing it when we travelled to Florence. But I’m glad I know about it now.

I honestly don’t even remember where I first saw it pop up online. But there it was, picture and all - Zuppa Toscana, and it sounded like just the ticket for a grey, cold Penna day. I first saw a few OG copy cat recipes, and since I am not particular fond of the food at OG, I dug a little further.

I wouldn’t be surprised if actual Tuscans had never ever heard of the dish - kinda like buffalo alfredo pizza :wink:

5 Likes

That sounds… not yummy.

1 Like

Hey now. Buffalo or alfredo (or melted cheese) goes with errrrrything in 'murrcah, dontcha know? :wink:

2 Likes

Leftover steak tips, thinly sliced, caramelized onions and spinach on the last of some Boudin Bakery sourdough bread, on the cast-iron grill pan for a quick panino.

There were Fritos. :grin:

25 Likes

No wine?

3 Likes

Leftover cacio e pepe baked pasta and steamed broccoli

20 Likes

I made ants climbing a tree (ground chicken variation) and cucumber-radish salad. I added peas and celery to the noodles and subbed oyster sauce for the soy sauces. Good moves all. The oyster sauce adds the perfect amount of umami, sweetness, and thickening to season and coat noodles.

23 Likes

Jägerspätzle / spätzle with mushroom sauce.

28 Likes

Nope. Had enough over the long holiday weekend. :slightly_smiling_face: