What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

There’s those Fritos again. Nice sandwich btw.

1 Like

My take on @LindaWhit ‘s fabulous looking pork tenderloin dinner. I copy-catted right down to the apple cider-bourbon glaze. Served with leftover potato gratin, green beans and homemade applesauce.

A delicious ensemble!

22 Likes

What is this you speak of?

Thank you!

@MunchkinRedux My batter was 280g of plain flour, 375ml of pale ale, spices and the juice of 1 lemon. I had a consistency similar to pancake batter. I hope you like it!

6 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I got on the PaniniTrain last night. These are salami, capocollo, calabrese, ham, provolone with very thinly sliced quick-pickled cukes and very thinly sliced tomato.

The bread was a homemade-I-got-a-wild-hair-experiment, discussed in the “what are you baking” thread. I took a preferment baguette recipe for 4 baguettes, multiplied by 1.5X, then baked the dough in a bread pan instead of freehand loaves because I wanted more height (more like regular sandwich bread) than you get with freehand.

19 Likes

The recipe, is Tomato Beef Curry, is from ‘Chinese Village Cookbook’ by Rhoda Lee.
Great recipe for using up bits and pieces of flank or skirt meat.

3 Likes

I use mine to make quick Caesar salad dressing. In a large jar: buzz some lemon juice, mayo, grated parmesan, olive oil, garlic and ANCHOVIES. Not Julia Child’s version but fast and using stuff you probably have on hand. I love my immersion blender!

4 Likes

I one-up you on the laziness factor by using fish sauce instead of anchovies and just smashing the garlic with a press. Mix all with a spoon. Still 1000% better than anything from a bottle!

4 Likes

This is chain grocery sushi. They run specials on Wednesday night so my son asks for it then.

it’s actually not bad. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not great sushi. But it’s also not bad, given the cheap price.

14 Likes

Last night was hot Italian sausage rotini with chicken broth, spinach and Parmesan all melded together. And mozzarella garlic bread.

Tonight is salmon with lemon, dill, butter and white wine cooked out on the grill. Note I repositioned one lemon slice to hide the bite he had to take while hot.:slightly_smiling_face: Baked potato with butter, sour cream and chopped scallions for him. (Not shown). And tartar sauce. For me a piece of salmon (to keep him happy) and the Italian sausage:/rotini leftovers. Much prefer that.

21 Likes

Stuffed Calamari in a lemony sauce, served over a simple risotto.

24 Likes

Beautiful and looks tasty!

1 Like

Thanks! It was fun to make. I used basil from a pot I’ve somehow kept alive in my window in place of the parsley called for.

4 Likes

This is a killer thread, maybe moar than the other “Dinner” threads. If that’s possible.

Learned/inspired so much. Y’all keep posting stuff.

5 Likes

that looks so fresh and great !

2 Likes

love it, i do salmon the same way on the grill with just folded up tin foil piece slid on and off. easy and good every time.

1 Like

Rao’s Famous Lemon Chicken (the version from Saveur Magazine). Long grain rice. Baby garden peas from the freezer.

19 Likes

It was! I think it would be a fine served over salad in the summer.

2 Likes

Oh, the weather outside is frightful
But the scene is so delightful
And since I’ve no place to go
Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

I needed soup so I did a freezer dive. I found chicken with carrots, mushrooms and kale? in a sauce and chicken and rice. I combined with chicken broth, et voila, soup. Salad of oak leaf and tango, tomatoes, green onion, celery, avocado, pickled beets, blue cheese, ranch dressing. An Old Fashioned and wine.

30 Likes