What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

Dinner today was supposed to be soup, but it wasn’t in the cards. Instead, prompted by other notes on this thread, I made Salisbury steaks and gravy, roasted baby cauliflower, and chive popovers. It was cozy, homey food that I thought everybody would like, but my teenager was not enthused. He’s going through a picky period.

23 Likes

I was inspired by @BeefeaterRocks dinner a few days ago and made a hot brown with leftover turkey.

Mostly followed the Brown Hotel’s recipe.

16 Likes

After three nights of pastry for dinner, I was ready for a (more or less) carbless meal.

Petite filet of Wagyu beef on the grill. Romaine in Caesar dressing. Horseradish sauce.

19 Likes

BF made “regular” cheeboigas, though he’d said he was going to make single-patty smashburgers. So, the burgers were a little thick and overdone, but still very tasty, and those garlicky frites!

21 Likes

Potato and macaroni salad. With chopped vegetables. Tempura prawns. Store bought. Love em . Im getting my self ready for tomorrow’s drift boat guieded fishing trip on the the lower Sacramento river . Dream come true. Phone acting up on photos.

16 Likes

I know what you mean about trying not to add any more cookbooks; I stopped buying cookbooks years ago. I wonder what prompted me to buy many that I have.

I unearthed the Jacques Pepin recipe after years (I’ve been making it from memory), to find that it’s different from what I do. You can use a mix of cooked and uncooked sausages; I use uncooked only.

Here then is my rough and ready version:

12 Italian sausages (I use mild; hot if you want), quartered
2 medium onions, peeled and cut into thick slices
8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters or eighths, depending upon size
2 Tbsp olive oil

Heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the sausages till lightly browned. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes. Put in 1/4 cup of water. Add the potatoes and mix. Put on the lid and allow to cook till the potatoes are tender. Check from time to time; you may have to add water.

4 Likes

Thanks so much. My husband will love this - three of his favorite foods!

Last night’s dinner was a caesar salad followed by a beef-mushroom-onion stew served over fettucine. The brown bits on the caesar is anchovy paste. I have to work on blending it better with the evo, lemon juice, and garlic dressing I made. Time to pull out my magic bullet!

15 Likes

Me too… :yum:

Comfort food required.
Not the usual comfort food.
But it IS Friday.
And I haven’t had my standard in awhile.

Steak tips, seasoned with s/p, and pan-seared in butter and olive oil and finished in the oven. Ballymaloe steak sauce drizzled on top of a couple of slices.

Convection-baked tater with TPSTOB&SC and s/p. And sauteed green beans, red bell peppers, and red onion with salt, Penzeys dried roasted garlic, Aleppo pepper and dried savory.

Oh yeah. There was wine. Which will hopefully help me nod off tonight, since last night was only about 4 hours of sleep after having to say goodbye to my cuddle bunny, Alfie, last night after a quick downward spiral. Finny and I are on our own for now.

30 Likes

So sorry about Alfie. I hope you and Finny can find comfort in one another.

6 Likes

Very sorry you lost one of your fur babies. Big hugs to you and Finny.

8 Likes

Adding an iconic Japanese dish to Rosy’s dinner tonight…her favourite ’ Nobu’s Miso Black Cod '…a la 'The Charles’😋😂🥰

12 Likes

My heart hurts for you. So sorry.

5 Likes

I made Fuchsia Dunlop’s Sichuan black bean butternut squash and edamame, tofu, and pickled mustard greens from the new Woks of Life cookbook (p. 65). Served over rice noodles and zoodles sauteed with garlic and oyster sauce.

16 Likes

Caldo Verde with Alaskan halibut and fresh Spanish chorizo. Served with a splash of cider vinegar.

Beans, carrots, spuds, kale and bay from our garden surplus.

16 Likes

A very successful dinner tonight. A delicious potato/kale/sausage soup thank you @linguafood accompanied by a fresh loaf of fig-fennelseed bread with butter. Mmmm. Honestly, no knead bread has changed my life.

18 Likes

Oh how sad, my condolences to you and Finny.

4 Likes

Creamy lemon chicken with asparagus, topped with parm and parsley. Rice, red bell, onion, mushrooms. Green salad, tomato, celery, green onion, kalamata olives, creamy Greek dressing. Bevvies were g&t and g rocks.

18 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. Mine has not been doing so well of late. He has a vet appointment on Tuesday and I’m fearing the worst.

8 Likes