What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

Blue fin tuna caught off the Santa Barbara coast … Pulled out of the freezer. Little mayonnaise dressing before sautéed. Slaw , with potato and macaroni salad Cheers.

17 Likes

Oh no - I am so sorry for your loss, Linda. I’m sure Alfie enjoyed the best cat life possible due to your kind and loving attentions. RIP.

8 Likes

My condolences over the liss of Alfie. Its never easy when a beloved cat crosses the rainbow bridge.

10 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a Rice & Vegetable Casserole with panko on top. I flavored the rice with some curry powder, cumin and turmeric. The veggies were onion, broccoli, tomato and black olives, along with some shredded cheese I wanted to use up. I really liked it, but Sunshine thought I should add some chicken next time I make it.

17 Likes

I’m hoping for the best for you, Greg. :heart:

9 Likes

So sorry about Alfie. No cat ever lived a better life!

6 Likes

Our dinner was a disaster last night (no photo). It was my turn in the kitchen. I had a can of Maesri green curry paste. I stir-fried it in a heavy pot with a chopped yellow onion, some of the coconut milk, then added the rest 2 cans of coconut milk, cubed chicken breasts and vegetables (zuchhini, red bell pepper and baby corn) and simmered until the vegetables were tender. Served on Jasmine rice. It was so d@mn spicy we couldn’t eat it! We ended up with some cheese and crackers…

8 Likes

I’m so sorry, Linda. Hurts so bad <3

5 Likes

Ahat a luv! Peace be with you.

4 Likes

I usually use 1 tbsp of curry paste at a time. The whole can must have been very spicy! If you ever end up eating too spicy food again, eating a little yogurt after helps temper the heat in your mouth.

2 Likes

Oh No! I am so sorry to hear about Alfie’s passing. I always love seeing your pictures of the boys.

4 Likes

Snake River Farms hanger steaks and saag aloo

20 Likes

I’m with you. 1-2 Tbsp in our household!

1 Like

Happened to us last week, long story. I misinterpreted a recipe and threw in 4 tbsp sambar powder, and realized just as I did it that it was a mistake. Oof! Incendiary hot, even for us who like spicy food.

We tried dilution: more tomatoes and water. But what helped was adding a LOT of peanut butter. Changed the taste profile completely, but it went from inedible to edible.

ETA: if I had coconut milk that would have worked, as would have cashew or almond or sunflower seed butter, you get the idea.

8 Likes

I made an Instant Pot casserole recipe that was actually quite delicious. (Hunger is the best seasoning! Long hike.)

My changes: Kept the chicken breasts whole except for slicing in half lengthwise. Added bay leaves, Badia Adobo, sauteed dried onion, onion and garlic powders, shredded carrots, and (per one review) a can of cream of mushroom soup. Added TJ’s Umami powder to the rub. Reduced the cheese. Released the pressure after 6 min.

I drizzled some chimichurri over the chicken, but it honestly didn’t need it.

16 Likes

Long day. To get my mind off things, my sister and I went antiquing after we put Alfie next to his brother, stepsister, stepbrothers, and cousins.

Dinner was seared pork chops seasoned with s/p and dried thyme, with a sauce of semi-caramelized onions, 1/2 cup plum ketchup from my freezer, and 1/4 cup of white wine, all whisked together and reduced.

Sides were convection oven-roasted baby yellow potatoes and Brussels sprouts seasoned with s/p, garlic powder, and dried thyme.

And Wine. It is National Drink Wine Day, after all. Not that I need a specific day designating a day to drink wine.

26 Likes

So sorry for your loss, Linda. They leave such a hole in our hearts when they go! Big hugs.

9 Likes

My condolences, El

3 Likes

Read the recipe - looks good and easy, don’t think you could go amiss with some smoked sausage either. A mountain jambalaya.

1 Like

Penne, with herb-roasted garden tomatoes (last summer’s from frozen). Caesar salad.

For dessert, there will be a freshly baked, citrus and olive oil cake.

Gateau

20 Likes