What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

Drizzly here so I let our dog out back to go you know what. Toweled him off when he back in and then it started raining cats and dogs and thundering and lightning. When I see movies where people who live in apartments in the city have to walk dogs I shake my head. But anyways, onto dinner tonight. Shrimp scampi and linguine, Garlic bread (like we didn’t already have enough in the scampi and a salad with homemade blue cheese dressing.

20 Likes

One of our favorite dishes, especially when we can purge bits and pieces from the freezer.
Strangely, a warning came up on my reply when typing out ‘bits’. Really?

1 Like

Pan seared skin on boneless chicken breast, roasted with oranges, garlic, and glazed with homemade orange jam. It’s citrus season!

Side of steamed store bought :astonished: sugar snaps. I’m trying to accept my limitations with regard to weeknight prep, and eat more vegetables.

Toothpick flag signifies “I’m cooked less than well done!”

22 Likes

It’s taco Tuesday. Chorizo, potato, poblano chile, onion, cumin, oregano with pico de gallo and a squeeze of lime. Rice, avocado and radishes.

18 Likes

Our last two meals in Germany: good Turkish in my hometown, decent German in Frankfurt.

The SMALL appetizer plate for 10€ was very good & easily enough for four people. The grill platter (chicken, lamb, ground lamb) was good, but not as good as we’re accustomed to from Turkish restaurants in Berlin. Chicken a bit too dry, the lamb kebab a tad overdone (of course, I’m spoiled by my Armenian PIC who has a way with lamb), but the ground lamb skewer was quite good.

We also appreciated the free cacik and hot dipping sauce that is brought to the table immediately, with a fresh supply of in-house baked bread that is replenished at no cost.

The German dinner was right on the Römerberg in Frankfurt aka tourist central, so our expectations were low. We shared the “Frankfurter” pork schnitzel with Bratkartoffeln (home-fried potatoes) and green sauce, a Hesse specialty made of cream & a variety of herbs AND the pork knuckle with kraut and the same home fries & boring gravy (tho my PIC liked it). Can you believe I’ve never ordered/eaten a pork knuckle in my life??? Bad German!

As I hinted, the taters weren’t all that, the schnitzel was too thick and a bit bland for my taste, but the knuckle was succulent and the green sauce a revelation. Must make at home.

Back in EWR and ready to board our plane back home.

26 Likes

Frozen ravioli with fresh shiitakes and Boursin, along with a green salad with shaved red onion and walnut oil-sherry vinegar-Dijon mustard vinaigrette. I’m stuffed!

21 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a rainbow trout fillet with cherry tomatoes and snow peas. Long grain and wild rice on the side.

19 Likes

I made baked rigatoni based on this Kitchn recipe, adding roasted turkey Italian sausage, red peppers, eggplant, mushrooms, and blanched kale. I should have known better than to follow the advice to fold the ricotta into the sauce, a move I ultimately regretted. Bagged “chopped steakhouse salad” (more like broccoli slaw with blue cheese dressing, bacon bits and crispy onions) on the side.

17 Likes

More freezer clean-out. Alaskan halibut and the last of the 2022-sockeye-season fish tails in our go-to, New England style fish chowder. The last of our self-harvested clam stock. Spuds, shallots, bay leaf, and chives from the garden. Leftover, home-made focaccia from the other night.

We’re rarin’ to go clam-digging, but the nearby beach where we like to harvest has been closed all winter due to toxins for the first time SINCE EVER. :neutral_face:

24 Likes

Oh my!

Oh that looks comforting!

1 Like

You knocked it out of the park :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Mapo tofu with beef, with rice and smacked cucumber.

26 Likes

Spaghetti squash, Morkovcha-inspired carrots and Galbi jjim/ Korean beef ribs tonight

17 Likes

One of our now almost weekly meals - sausages, boiled potatoes in garlicky butter, and a tomato salad with capers. Tonight’s sausages were a red wine pork with anise and pork with minced braised greens. Oddly, we both much preferred the one with the greens.

19 Likes

love the sound of that vinaigrette! i don’t think i’ve ever paired those three together - walnut oil and dijon yes, walnut oil and sherry vinegar yes… now i must try!

1 Like

Pork and greens is a heavenly pairing, in my opinion! In fact I love (most) greens all ways. Your dinners are always enticing!

1 Like

Beef burger with grilled apple, Havarti cheese, coarse Dijon mustard, and romaine salad

15 Likes

Pork tenderloin, carrots and shallots roasted in an apple cider, bourbon sauce. Inspired by @LindaWhit . Little gem, red butter lettuces, fennel, celery, red onion, dried cranberries, honey mustard dressing salad.

I had dinner with Nigella.

20 Likes

It’s one of our favorites! I hope you enjoy it if you do try the combo.