What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

Tonight’s dinner was a cauliflower chickpea curry.

16 Likes

Jacques Pepin’s Maman’s cheese souffle with bacon, chives and gruyere. Baby spinach greens in vinaigrette. Freshly baked focaccia.

There will be prunes-in-cognac for dessert.

23 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a baked corn and hamburger casserole. I modified a “Glen and Friends Cooking” recipe (youtube). I think I need to tweak it a bit more… maybe add a little cheese, next time.

16 Likes

I’m almost embarrassed - but not quite - to admit I first saw it on Tik Tok.

1 Like

Lentil stew with pork bratwurst, smoked paprika, thyme, garlic, chives and white wine vinegar cooked in the pressure cooker.

16 Likes

My favorite pad Thai in D.C. was served in an impressive thin omelette. It was so cool!

Pad Thai

Thanks for the preparation notes!

14 Likes

Beautiful photos! You’ve outdone yourself.

1 Like

Aioli and mayo!

1 Like

Oh, man, that looks fantastic.

1 Like

My favorite kind :laughing:

2 Likes

Last night’s dinner was chili con carne (made two nights prior) served over seared cheddar polenta/grits. A few Fritos found their way into the bowl. Unfortunately the leftover collard greens ended up in the trash - strange off flavor despite being relatively recent.

19 Likes

Thank you :blush:

whipped cream

I had cooked rice noodles to use up (because I didn’t like them in the Kerala chicken stew and wasn’t planning to eat them that way again). Spur-of the-moment return to an old favorite – Singapore Mei Fun.

No curry powder, so I used the underlying spices. Didn’t have shrimp. Found char siu from Chinatown stashed in the freezer. Used some of the chicken I poached for the stew. Half a bag of broccoli slaw for veg, plus some onion. Forgot egg.

Very nice outcome. (I also realized for the first time that these noodles taste pretty much spot on for Maggi (indian instant “ramen”), which may be why they were such a favorite in post college days.)

22 Likes

Yum, always a favorite.

I made sheet pan chicken yakitori and charred sesame-chili broccoli over sushi rice with ponzu cucumber salad.

24 Likes

Salmon Caesar Salad tonight. I made a slightly larger amount of the dressing and then split it in half before adding cheese. I used the half without cheese to baste and glaze salmon fillets (Nordic Blu by CleanFish) while broiling. The rest dressed the salad. Homemade croutons using leftover scali bread that needed to get used up.

24 Likes

Bucatini all’Amatriciana

23 Likes

Worked at my sister’s yesterday, so she picked up $4.99/lb. (!!!) Costco Dungeness crabs, and that was dinner. That and melted butter. Super sweet meat!

On Sunday I’d made Serious Eats’ Braised Chinese-Style Short Ribs With Soy, Orange, and 5-Spice Powder and we had it for dinner tonight. Very good and orangey, which i loved. Only thing was I used Trader Joe’s boneless short ribs and they were a bit stringy, even though they didn’t cook that long (I did them in the IP) since they were less than the recipe called for. Tender, but stringy. You know? In any case, I’d make them again but use some good, fat, bone-in short ribs next time. BF made rice and broccolini with ginger and garlic to go with.

24 Likes

Lazy-person’s Huli Huli chicken kebabs, made using a commercial marinade and smoked over mesquite on the grill. Long grain rice. Green beans.

18 Likes