What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

Bummer!

1 Like

Night before last I made a steak and had half of it with a salad of endive, radish, and avocado with blue cheese dressing.

Last night I used the leftover steak in a bibimbap with kimchi, mushrooms, gochujang, spinach and egg.

24 Likes

That egg yolk looks absolutely perfect! @mariacarmen would want to see the money shot of oozy yolk, however. :wink:

8 Likes

Ask and you shall receive, but it’s even worse than the other picture. Impossible lighting conditions.

10 Likes

Ohhh, this works. ::::lighting a cigarette::::: :laughing:

6 Likes

lol

1 Like

Absolutely love the look of those unadorned steak slices !

3 Likes

Like little soldiers all lined up.

1 Like

Ya, some street places in Thailand do that (but the egg wrap is a lot thinner, almost translucent). I don’t actually prefer it and talking to some of the women who make those ones, they said they do that because most of their customers are picking it up to go so it’s like a package and easier to pack and better for the customer to take home. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Strozzapreti and flowering cauliflower in my famous preserved lemon, dijon sauce.

23 Likes

After a long day of traveling & not much in the fridge that didn’t require some sort of prep work, we settled on wingsover, which is always reliably good. Sadly, we didn’t have any celery in the house, so what you see here is what we had. Half lemon pepper dry rub, half plain, ordered extra crispy/well done. Frank’s red hot, habanero paste and melted butter for tossing right before eating. I cannot abide floppy poultry skin, and most certainly not on wings. Hit the spot.

18 Likes

Why?

I didn’t like the grainy texture. And it was all same-same. Some contrast would have been better.

Tonight I made spicy dirty rice with pork country sausage and red beans seasoned with (the?) trinity. Bagged avocado-ranch salad alongside. Good, quick, low effort.

20 Likes

Veggie stew with all the veggies: leeks, potatoes, carrots, celery, tomatoes, green beans, turnips, artichoke hearts. Turkish seasoning. It was tasty but a bit lacking until I added a big pat of butter.

20 Likes

Comfort food was needed - Sole Palak, with flour tortillas on the side for scooping, dipping, taco making… Once again, I used Asma Khan’s Saag Paneer recipe as my guide for the portion with the spinach.

20 Likes

Matzoh ball soup, fully loaded — noodles, chicken, vegetables.

Soup from last week (nice and jellied). Matzoh balls from today (using schmaltz saved from two rounds of chicken soup making).

Ate it while chatting with my college roommate, whose mom’s matzoh balls first got me hooked, and told her my “adjustments” which had us both rolling in laughter: I have jumbo eggs at the moment (thanks to the whole egg pricing / stocking fiasco) so I used only 1 instead of 2 because 2 would have resulted in too wet a mixture, but then I was worried about the underuse, so I added some yogurt as an egg substitute, and then some Eno fruit salt that I use in idlis and similar indian doughy things to make them fluffy.

Result: perfectly fluffy, delicious, decidedly non-kosher matzoh balls! (And I don’t much like egg noodles so I used my noodle of universal preference: capellini.)

Pretty sure her mom would have gotten a good laugh out of it too, and approved that the outcome was as desired.

28 Likes

I didn’t feel like posting my dinner last night. No matter because we had the same thing tonight. Stuffed baked potatoes with smoked brisket, butter, a little BBQ sauce and cheese. Sad little pic. Maybe some salted caramel truffle ice cream for dessert., I’m not much on ice cream but that is pretty good stuff.

22 Likes

Arroz con gandules / rice with pigeon peas from the freezer, bistec encebollado / fried cube steak with onions, and salad of broccolini and tomato.

22 Likes

Marinated leg of lamb kebabs, grilled over applewood and rosemary, and served on a bed of couscous with baby garden peas.

Lamb marinade recipe previously posted here on the kebab thread.

27 Likes