What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

Dinner tonight is the America’s Test Kitchen sheet pan roasted cod and potatoes, with lemon, butter, and thyme. Salad with creamy lemon and mustard dressing. They used russets in the original recipe, but I used red potatoes tonight and I think I might actually like them better in this than the russets.

20 Likes

Chicken fried pork steak with ramen crust and buttermilk pepper gravy. (h/t Edward Lee from Smoke and Pickles) Side of sliced avocado salad with a rice vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil dressing.

17 Likes

“Eternity is a ham and two people”
~ Dorothy Parker

So, here is my $12(on sale) baked 14 lb. ham for two. Sweet potatoes and some of you might want to avert your eyes here. A green bean casserole.:slightly_smiling_face: A little sour cream, sweet hot mustard, horseradish sauce on the side.

18 Likes

That looks delicious! Makes me wish I had access to ATK again.

1 Like

My husband would call that “The Big Pig: The Gift That Keeps On Giving”.

5 Likes

I actually came across it on YouTube and just copied the recipe down from there!

3 Likes

Oh, thank you!

That looks great. Will certainly give it a go. :yum:

1 Like

You’re welcome! Enjoy!

Thanks for the recipe. I can’t wait to try this.

1 Like

I agree you probably got your money’s worth out of the freezer but it still sucks.

2 Likes

At my sister’s last night we made ATK’s Poached Fish Fillets with Miso-Ginger Vinaigrette, using seabass. It was a bit of a fussy recipe that has you poach in the oven and place a half onion in the pan with the fish to displace some of the oil so you don’t use as much, and then strain the oil to add to the vinaigrette. my sister had some saved oil in her fridge from her tortillas de papa she makes, so we used that as it already had a nice oniony flavor. our fillets were thicker than called for so they took longer to cook than noted, but all-in-all, a fantastic dish. it also has you toss sliced scallions in corn starch and then fry them, which we did, and then forgot to top the fish with them until we were about halfway through dinner! The only thing I’d change is less (or no) sugar in the vinaigrette, but still, it was delicious. We served it over couscous with steamed asparagus on the side, napped with some of the oniony olive oil. The recipe called for those radishes, and I love radishes, but they didn’t add much to the dish. Still, would totally make this again.

and tonight, BF and i each had leftovers of the roast pork from the other night - mine was another pork & garlicky broccoli rabe sandwich. can’t get enough. with kimchi cukes on the side. BF’s was pork and beans and did not even merit a pic for once.

17 Likes

that sandwich looks killer, but i’m mostly jealous of your bread. i can’t find a good sesame seeded roll, just sliced. which is fine but…

2 Likes

I enjoy hearing about all of your cooking adventures - successful or not!

Prime rib-eye on the grill. Wilted spinach. Horseradish sauce. Leftover mashed potatoes were optional.

More cake and strawberries.

18 Likes

The one thing we have plenty of in NJ is good seeded semolina loaves!

2 Likes

Thanks! Things are rarely perfect, or even close, so I’m always looking to get closer to the ideal.

1 Like

Dinner started with a plan to make Japchae and ended as a Korean spread I cooked and took over to my friends’ place :yum:

I was halfway through making the Japchae in the afternoon when my friend called and invited me over.

But… I still wanted to eat Korean, so I did some quick menu thinking and called her back to ask if they were open to eating Korean. They didn’t have a plan yet, so it worked out well.

I finished the Japchae, made rice, then a quick store run to to buy meat and some banchan-ish stuff.

Snagged the last jar of kimchi at the store (woot!), and decided on Galbi over steak with Gochujang butter (because the fried rice was already pretty strongly flavored).

So the menu was:
Arugula salad with soy and sesame oil dressing
Scallion salad
Broccoli slaw banchan
Napa cabbage Kimchi
Wild mushroom Japchae
Bacon-Kimchi-Butter fried rice
Galbi

Manhattans to drink.

Man I missed Korean food while I was away!

29 Likes

West African peanut stew with chicken thighs, ginger, chile de arbol, coriander, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, fenugreek, cloves, tomato paste, peanut butter, diced tomatoes, eggplant and okra - served over rice

18 Likes

Lucky, lucky friends!

5 Likes

Goes both ways!

1 Like