What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

It’s been a year.
Then again, aren’t they always?
But it’s been better than recent past years.
Other than the fact I’m one year away from Medicare age, even though I (hopefully) won’t need it quite yet.

But that’s life, right?

After just going through my FB Memories since I joined in late 2011, I seem to take the same low-key but tasty-for-me route, as I don’t “do” New Year’s anymore. But I had decided on this yesterday after my trip to Wegmans.

I went with tapas for one. Started with the Three M’s: Manchego, Membrillo, and Marcona almonds as a Scooby Snack early afternoon.

Then made Patatas Bravas with Garlic Aioli sauce (using some black garlic purchased this past summer at my local farmer’s market), and made some Espinacas a la Catalana (sauteed some spinach with olive oil and butter, seasoned with Aleppo pepper and toasted pine nuts, leaving out the raisins…because I forgot).

Both were reheated carefully in the toaster convection oven while I seared the lovely scallops purchased at Wegmans yesterday, which were served in a Saffron Cream Sauce.

Wine was during prep and with dinner, and a glass of Cuarenta y Tres was served after, with the classic Spanish postre, Ermitaños. Otherwise known as the last of the Hermit bars. :wink:

I hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year, partying with a group or at a quiet Party For One or Two.

And hoping for a good 2023 for all of us.

26 Likes

I love those scallops! Yum!

2 Likes

I came here to write the exact same thing: gorgeous sear on those scallops, Linda :star_struck:

3 Likes

Tomato gravy with pork ribs , and beef neck . About two hours out till done .
Let’s bring in 2023 . Cheers :wine_glass::cocktail:

17 Likes

New Year’s Eve nibbles!

Care of daughter in law😀

28 Likes

Maple bacon Brussels sprouts. No photos of the lamb meatballs, Caesar salad or cake!

16 Likes

Es magnifica

1 Like

Happy Hogmanay
Crab boil drenched in herb, garlic butter. Mixed greens salad, cucumber, tomato, red onion, oo&v dressing. Warm baguette. A glass of pink bubbles. There will probably be eggnog ice cream with caramel sauce later and more pink bubbles at midnight.

22 Likes

We’re of the sort to be in bed by 9:30 tonight. In the meantime, New Year’s dinner for two.

Prime, boneless rib-eye on the grill. Spinach and onion gratin, with gruyere and parmesan cheeses. The last of that magnificent mac and cheese.

Heineken for him; prosecco for me.

Best of luck to us all in 2023!

25 Likes

I’m so impressed with your portion control. That Mac & Cheese wouldn’t have made it beyond Day 2 at our house.

4 Likes

Clam dip (with dill and lemon). Potato chips. Rosé. IPA. Happy New Year!

21 Likes
7 Likes

On a liquid diet tonight. Kir Royale for this old cur. I wish everyone a gentle, happy and healthy 2023.

23 Likes

Shrimp tostadas, French dip, potato chips with crème fraîche, caviar, and chives. Happy New Year! :clinking_glasses:

26 Likes

That’s my kind of drinking food! Happy New Year!!

2 Likes

Good morning and Happy New Year, WFDers! I’ve started a new Jan '23 thread here:

8 Likes

Perfection.

My kiddo actually said, while eating that meal, “I like all of these things!” It was such a gratifying moment (I hear complaints most of the time). I feel like we’re turning a corner and he’s a lot more willing to try new foods simply if I say I think he’ll enjoy them.

11 Likes

Playing catch-up and consolidating here rather than on holiday/weekly planning/Westchester NY threads.

Friday: Dinner at my brother’s in Mamaroneck NY. From Fjord in Larchmont, we picked up a beautiful sushi roll plate and shrimp cocktail plate (under protest from me - shrimp are amongst the worst ecologically but I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer) on our way from Boston.

Saturday lunch was a tasty turkey chili that my brother made and leftovers (their fridge is a Jenga of ridiculous leftovers). Saturday dinner was steak, seafood soup, salad, voluminous other side dishes, (can never remember and we forgot to take photos).

Sunday Xmas dinner was more steak and lobster tails that they got from Costco. I didn’t try the lobster but my brother said said they were too salty (no one else wanted to complain/be honest…I am not a Costco fan so kept my mouth shut).

Monday was dinner out for my SIL birthday at Refele. Really good fritto misto. My mushroom pasta was just ok. Needed salt or something. Mom and dad had a delicious seafood stew under a completely unnecessary pizza dough dome and chicken piccata. I think bolognese was ordered, kids loved the meatballs and pizza.

Tuesday through Thursday the 3 of us ate poorly in NYC but our friends apartment had a nice view.

Redemption on Friday when we returned to my brother’s for a Korean feast. We made pork mandu (dumplings) and chowed down on a variety of pajeon (savory pancakes).

Finally, I came home to these:

Happy 2023 my dear fellow Onions!

16 Likes

I can’t imagine trying to cajole a child to eat. I was the oldest and only girl with 5 brothers, grew up on a farm in the midwest. If we didn’t like what was on the table we just went without until the next meal. That was that. I used to slip my cooked carrots under the table to our German Shepherd. Worked out well for both of us…

5 Likes