What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

Hey kids - back from BCN as of a week ago Sunday. Tested positive for Covid last Wed., sick in bed two days, lots of sleeping, been working from home, much, much better today but still positive. BF tested positive yesterday :cry: (exposed to me before I knew i had it.) His symptoms are thankfully much milder than mine. Mostly I’m pissed at myself that i got sloppy in BCN and wasn’t as careful as I had been here, or even in Amsterdam. Of my 6 other friends who went on the trip, 3 of us tested positive upon our return. I’m back (well, once i’m done quarantining) to being uber careful because immunity or no, i don’t want this ever again. not fun, a big pain in the ass (i had to isolate from the BF in our apt. for 5 days!), and i’m mad at myself for being part of the problem. end of rant.

Barcelona was a total blast and soon i’ll feel up to posting about that trip, but not yet.

In the meantime, we’ve been eating but not a ton. First couple nights BF made me light soups, then he moved on to Korean-ish ramen, Rana sausage ravioli in a light buttery garlic sauce, and last night I finally cooked - a pork sugo with a lot of things that needed cooking. Tonight, BF had leftover soup and we both had leftover cooked Rana ravs that he treated like pierogi - toasted in butter, served with sour cream and fried shallots. (that’s a lot of pasta, especially for me.)

glad to be back, hoping all of you are keeping safe and healthy out there! looking forward to catching up on all your delicious dinners.

20 Likes

I’m sorry you’re sick and glad you’re seeing the light of day - as well as grateful that you have a partner to help you through it. DH & I have had Covid twice once simultaneously and twice individually. We have done our calculations and know how we were exposed. I ended up in the hospital because of it at the beginning of 2022. We’ve had all of the vaccines and our 3rd booster. This winter will again be a time of masks and caution, I believe. Hope you are well soon.

2 Likes

Feel better!

1 Like

Our go-to in the fish taco department: panko-crusted halibut with sriracha-mayo, and all-you-can-eat garden cabbage.

16 Likes

Burger sandwich with fontina. Fries. Cheers .

18 Likes

thank you! i’m sorry you were hospitalized, that’s terrible!
yep, i too had all the boosters available before i went. there’s a new variant going around in Europe, however, i just heard, and it’s supposedly resistant to the current vaccines/boosters, so I wonder… and i masked more than any of my group whille there, and certainly more than the locals, but yet…
definitely will continue to mask once i’m out of the house.

thanks again!

2 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

love that recipe.

1 Like

Oh that’s the pits, glad you’re on the mend. Looking forward to your Barcelona report.

1 Like

This cold rainy day should have been a soup or stew day but the menu was already planned. Chorizo/beef/pork patty melt, caramelized onions and poblano peppers, monterey jack cheese on sourdough bread. Mixed greens salad with radish, green onion, avocado, black olives, chipolte ranch. Manhattans.

17 Likes

thank you!

Today we celebrated Diwali. Our menu:

Puri chaat; dal, Chicken curry, aloo gobi, palak paneer, raita, rice, naan and gulab jamun cake truffles

I’m totally sated with all the deliciousness, but more than anything, my heart is so full. My kids each in their own way told me how much they actually connected with the traditions of the holiday today.

Wishing you all a healthy, happy and prosperous new year!

27 Likes

Icing on a really great cake!

4 Likes

I made a poblano chile relleno bake that was a bit of a fail, and a bacon/ leek/ carrot/ beet borscht which turned out well. The photo isn’t worth posting.

7 Likes

Finished product. Beef Bourgignon.

Grey Goose martini keeping with the French theme.

28 Likes

Happy Diwali! Love everything you said. And that lovely printed menu!

But also - I need to know more about your gulab jamun cake truffles (which I did sort-of attempt last year but just for myself, lol).

Here is the guidance for the truffles.

I skipped the crushed pistachios because of my daughter’s allergy. So ours just had a thin coating of white chocolate. They are really yummy.

Last year I made the gulab jamun cake, but the truffles were a bigger hit.

4 Likes

I saw this on IG - good to know it was a hit! Will try.

I made mawa cake last year, and used trimmings for truffles. I liked the cake better than the truffles then.

We are in full Diwali mode.

Had a big dinner with another family last night, and just our family dinner tonight for the actual holiday.

In two days (tomorrow is a day off because of the solar eclipse) we’ll have the last of the series, for new year and the 2nd day together (which is a brother-sister holiday, sort of the inverse of another one that occurs over summer).

Last night’s menu:
Samosas
Paneer tikka
Lamb chops

Okra
Cauliflower and potatoes
Paneer tikka masala
Whole masoor dal
Lamb with beets
Fish tikka
Rice
Naan

Rasmalai
Indian mithai (kaju and badam katli / cashew and almond fudge)
Pumpkin spice bundt cake (a strange annual tradition that came about with this family)

Tonight’s menu:

Bhajiya (like tempura but with gram flour) - potato, onion, serrano chilli for a brave teenager
Puris
Rice (just for me)
Dry potato bhaji
Saucy potato bhaji
Chhole (chickpeas)
Shrikhand (sweet yogurt)
Rava sheera
Wheat sheera
Gulab jamun

We obviously couldn’t eat everything — people picked what they love most, the rest can be eaten another day.

We also ate all the bhajiyas before we sat down for dinner (because we fried those first, then the puris so they’d be hot for dinner, and ain’t nobody leaving hot bhajiyas to get cold, including the babysitter who hung out for a while after she was done to eat them with us…)

26 Likes

Oh No! I’ve resigned myself to thinking everyone is going to get it eventually. So far I’ve been lucky (or in denial). Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.

1 Like