What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

Oh absolutely!!! Mr Bean is thinking of selling bunker that catches after he retires.

The same for meat. I used to get goat, oxtail, tongue, for a couple of dollars a pound. Now they cost more than a really good steak. And let’s not get started on short rib!

1 Like

Love the looks of that soup - I made a note as to your ingredient list!

1 Like

This looks and sounds delicious, though it has to be said that I’m easily persuaded since Indian food in all its many varieties has ben my favourite since I was a little girl! I was fortunate enough to spend Diwali in Benares several decades ago. Wishing you much joy and light.

2 Likes

Another rendition of the NYT Thai curry broth with silken tofu, this time with green curry paste, lots of ginger & garlic, a little less broth, red peppers, spinach & wild-caught cod. Nice kick, too :slight_smile:

18 Likes

BF made General Tso’s Chicken for us last night. He used a recipe from a YouTube video and while the end result did not taste like the General Tso’s that we know, it was actually amazing in its own right and would definitely have it again. And note to self: next time don’t actually eat the dried chili pepper. We’ve had them for a while and I thought it might have lost its potency. I was very wrong.

Maker’s Manhattan to drink.

23 Likes

@gcaggiano The General Tso’s chicken looks delicious. Hopefully you have recovered from the chili incident but if that happens again (hopefully not} eating a little yogurt after helps. I learned the hard way when dining at an Indian restaurant a few years ago and I was still new eating spicy foods. The waiter brought me a dish of yogurt to help put out the burning inferno inside my mouth.

6 Likes

Really? Wow! :exploding_head:

1 Like

We went to the grocery yesterday (sort of a local big box store - Fred Meyer). They had 4 kinds of steak sauce, including A-1, but no Ballymoe. I wonder if it’s an east coast thing. Or even more regional. I can’t get Pepperidge Farms sliced bread here either, and it gives me sadness.
@ChristinaM @LindaWhit bc I tried to quote and it ate my quote

1 Like

Sasha - this is not something I’ve ever seen in a local supermarket. I first picked it up at World Market, and when they ran out of it, I searched online. Prices were WAY more than I wanted to spend after shipping. I don’t know how I found out about it, but it turns out a small convenience store in Norwood, MA carries it - they have a small section of their store devoted to Irish and British foods. So whenever I visit my sister on the South Shore, I try and stop in there and pick up a couple of bottles.

3 Likes

OK, I can’t say never, but I honestly don’t believe I have ever tried it. It’s possible my father had it in the house once or twice and if so, I would have tried it, but since I never buy it myself, I guess if I did try it, I didn’t like it all that much as a kid.

2 Likes

Ah - good to know. We have a Cost Plus in Seattle, and that is an occasional weekend trip. I’ll look around for it. Or in some of our other local specialty markets.

2 Likes

Good info. I love spicy food and normally have an insanely high tolerance but this pepper got me last night!

Leftover beef stew over baked potato with roasted carrots and scallions. BF helped by prepping the oven and potatoes before I got home. Team work makes the dream work!

23 Likes

Milk works to calm excessive heat too, if you don’t have yoghurt to hand. Don’t know if soy milk would work for non-dairy consumers. Anyone?

1 Like

We’re both off on this rainy day and decided to embark on the six hour odyssey known as Julia Child’s Beef Bourgignon. BF made this once before a year or two ago. It is a meal that every home cook should tackle at least once. While we started it in our brand new Tramontina braiser, we realized that it would need to be finished in a larger Dutch Oven since there’s so much liquid, including an entire bottle of wine (using Prophecy Pinot Noir). Loved the searing action with this pan, though. Hope to have more pics of the finished product in a few hours!

23 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was cauliflower curry served over udon noodles. Not as spicy as usual since the recipe calls for 2 tbsp of red curry paste and I only had 1 tbsp left. I guess I’m going to Chinatown this weekend :wink:

16 Likes

Mouthwatering! Mmm

1 Like

Thank you!

I made our go-to angel hair with garden tomatoes, basil, garlic, oo, and Parm Regg. topped with seared chicken breast. Side of Tuscan kale with golden raisins, toasted almonds, garlic, chili flake, balsamic, oo, and a splash of soy sauce.

19 Likes

You’ll often find AI Steak Sauce along with the Ketchup in diners. It’s very vinegary tangy. I’ll use it in very small dabs if I don’t want Ketchup on my burger.

1 Like