Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

i have probably referenced recipes from the site, Alexandra’s Kitchen before. My wife enjoys the recipe collection posted there. I added all the warm spices listed in the recipe plus pure vanilla extract not called for. It’s very moist and a one bowl, double loaf batch. Unlike my sisters pumpkin muffins, I can slice cooled loaves into portions and freeze; enjoying toasting slices on the fly.

Fwiw, I disagree that pumpkin bread is like spice bread. Pumpkin puree is very present in the recipe and results in a moist bread that stays moist and requires nothing else. Spice bread is much drier, usually improves with some sort of frosting/icing and continues to dry out within days…at least the versions I have tried.

4 Likes

I would guess that you could sub pumpkin for applesauce or zucchini or carrot in any number of baked goods. Spice or season as you wish, or not.

1 Like

Son coming for lunch today, and husband going to the country tomorrow, so made two loaves.
2 breads
Cashed one at lunch. I mean, who can walk past warm bread…
Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 5.38.21 PM

9 Likes

Unless what you’re intending is pumpkin bread. :grin:

1 Like

Nice!

I’ve been on an Indianized baking kick as a result of the series of Indian holidays.

Several delicious experiments!

1. Rasmalai Tres Leches Ricotta Cake

I had an idea for tres leches cake flavored like an Indian dessert (rasmalai) - made ricotta cake, soaked in a milk and cream mixture flavored with cardamom and saffron, and topped with candied slivered almonds. Result was lovely and rich, and I ended up making it again a week later by request for a potluck (Indian) holiday party.

1. Mawa Cake

These are very rich, dense cupcake-ish not-too-sweet Indian cakes made with milk solids (milk reduced very slowly until only the solids remain - but are not caramelized). I made a small recipe in two baby bundts, using leftover ricotta, and used cardamom and saffron in the batter.

The flavors deepened and the texture of the cake improved in a day or two, like an olive oil cake.

1. Gulab Jamun Cake

Mawa Cake redux - made a soaking syrup with cardamom, saffron, and rosewater and poured it over the warm cake. Also used the trimmed dome to make two gulab jamun cake truffles.

I loved this - tastes just like a gulab jamun but less (sickly) sweet.

13 Likes

You are welcome and have a lovely weekend.

1 Like

How long did you soak the cakes? I’m going to make “soaking” dessert soon, Rum Baba. I remember last time I soaked a brioche with some syrup, not long enough, the liquid didn’t get in the core, so it was a bit plain.

Love them!

Looked perfect. Must be good!

Good to see you around again!

3 Likes

Thank you, naf. I am so impressed by your baking posts!

1 Like

Italian anise seed biscuits. Dunkers.

8 Likes

I made the tres leches twice - the first time as a round cake (half recipe), the second as a bundt - because it looks pretty. The round soaked in the milk mixture much better, as I knew would be the case. I soaked one a few hours, the other overnight.

The sugar syrup soaked in much more easily - in 15 mins.

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

Sure - I did warm the cake and the sugar syrup was thin and hot, so I didn’t even need to poke holes.

For the tres leches, next time I’d bake as a thinner shape to enhance milk absorption (other alternative is to use a sponge cake instead of ricotta cake, but my friends were very insistent that I stick with the ricotta cake because the texture and richness were close to the dessert that was the inspiration).

1 Like

Thank you for mentioning the site and your modifications to the recipe, @Rooster - am thrilled with results! (Almost as thrilled as I am that you’re posting again; you’ve been missed.)

I made the recipe yesterday, with a few other modifications - replaced 1/3 of the oil with applesauce and added a very small pinch of cloves. Had intended to add vanilla, per your mention (how much do you add?) but then misplaced the bottle.

As I was making muffins and mini loaves, I baked both at 375-degrees for about 30 minutes, then pulled out the muffins, reduced the temp to 350, and continued baking the mini loaves for another 12-15 minutes (lost track of exactly when I pulled them).

Yield was six jumbo/large muffins and three mini loaves. (Would have been four of the latter but for a cat-related mishap.)

6 Likes

Outstanding! Nice photos too. I will try your rec’s next time. I’m still making homemade applesauce and pear sauce. I’d like to try the applesauce bundt cake on that website at some point.
I used 2 tsp. of pure vanilla extract (home bottled) for the two loaves.
Thank you for the warm welcome. I have missed the give and take here.

3 Likes

The mawa cake looks delicious!

1 Like

Started a focaccia dough ferment tonight. Bake Sunday for spaghetti dinner.

Another winner method from Alexandras Kitchen.

I’ve made it several times. Family favorite. Sliced horizontally makes a nice sandwich bread.

13 Likes

Gorgeous focaccia there, Rooster!

Focaccia has become one of my favorite things to bake and freeze in one-meal portions. I like to use King Arthur bread flour for mine when possible. Speaking of which, I should probably bake again next week.

2 Likes