What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

Kielbasa, sauerkraut and Dijon mustard on seeded sourdough rye. Delicious! Everything but mustard made locally.

20 Likes

Yuzu kosho glazed shrimp and egg fried rice from Roy Choi’s LA Son. I had made this before and wanted a little more oomph in the glaze, so I increased the orange and lime juice (and seasoned with a little soy sauce that wasn’t called for), left the water out, and added some zest from both fruits too. I reduced everything by half before tossing the mostly cooked shrimp with it. Seemed to do the trick.

We had it with some broccoli and cauliflower mix.

21 Likes

Don’t resign yourself - stay vigilant! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
and thank you…

2 Likes

that looks scrumptious.

oh my! i never think of making a sausage sandwich (other than on a roll of some sort and a lot of sauce.) i love this idea!

3 Likes

beautiful puris! the BF would be jealous at how puffy you get them. :slightly_smiling_face:

Happy Diwali!

1 Like

that is just lovely!

gah i’m dying for a martini. i brought back some Spanish gin and can’t wait to have it.
Eff Covid!
:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Thank you!

how great that your kids appreciate the tradition!
and those puri chat - yum, drool-worthy!

Happy Diwali!

1 Like

Nice countertop… Tile work looks great. I’ve always been a fan of white tile with black grout – very clean look!!

That sounds great.

1 Like

Happy Diwali to all who celebrate!

Tonight I made stewed chicken (Gregory Williams - Food & Wine) over converted rice with honey-mustard glazed carrots and cucumbers in dill vinaigrette. The chicken dish was very tasty and hearty. I doubled the chicken and there was still too much sauce, so I’d reduce it by half and cut back a little on the flour and butter next time.

I can’t find the recipe anywhere online, but here is the ingredient list from the magazine:

½ cup butter

2 chicken leg quarters, split

Salt and pepper to taste

1 cup flour

1 yellow onion, chopped

4 cups chicken broth

1 cup chopped celery

Cooked rice for serving

Garnish: Green onions (oops - forgot)

I seasoned the chicken with Lawry’s seasoned salt as well and added a bay leaf. The recipe has you separately toast the flour in a dry pan until a rich brown, then add it to a large skillet with celery and onion sweat in the butter and chicken drippings from browning the pieces first.

17 Likes

It’s taco Tuesday. Seasoned ground beef/pork, onions, poblano pepper, pico de gallo, cheddar cheese. Doctored canned black beans with more poblano peppers, red pepper, onion, garlic, sazon. Sliced avocado.

20 Likes

Made meatloaf last night with what we had - no sausage or ground pork, so i added bacon. A little dry, even though we reheated it at extra low temp, but good enough. BF made his buttery mashed potatoes and sauteed mushrooms with spinach.

20 Likes

Stir-fried noodles with ground chicken thighs, cabbage, carrots and scallions.

All veg from the garden.

18 Likes

I drank through Covid, which was not recommended. Not sure how your symptoms are now, but mine varied from slightly annoying to nonexistent. And I was positive literally Christmas week through New Year’s. The hell I wasn’t drinking!

But that gin will be there for you when you’re ready. Something to look forward to. Spanish gin? Very curious!

7 Likes

The dough has to be right (and rest for a while), and then the oil has to be good and hot.

We had two kadhais going, but the second one wasn’t hot enough some of the time, so about a third of them didn’t puff properly. Quite a pity because the dough was lovely!

1 Like

9 Likes

Rigatoni with pistachio-basil pesto and some shredded burrata

14 Likes

Shrimp rubbed with a mixture of garlic, pimenton dulce, cumin, salt and pepper and then lightly sautĂŠed. The sauce is diced tomatoes, onions, garlic, serrano pepper, cilantro and lime juice. I found it kind of meh so I threw in a few spoonfuls of spicy olive mufaletta salad which added a nice punch. Mr Bean had it over rice but I liked the crunch of tortilla chips.

14 Likes