What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

Had friends over for an early Labor Day BBQ yesterday - started with bruschetta to use up a bunch of cherry tomatoes and basil from the garden, then moved on to ribs, insanely creamy mac and cheese, and COTC. Forgot to take pics of all but dessert, a peach-plum tart with pistachio frangipane.

Leftovers for dinner tonight. Salad for dinner tomorrow! :pig::rofl:

22 Likes

Yes. Lots of wine :grinning:

2 Likes

Casserole of pasta and shredded, poached chicken breast with a sauce made from a few glasses of roasted red pepper, parmesan, thyme, shallots, garlic and parsley and dollops of chèvre and ricotta

17 Likes

Sounds and looks incredible!

4 Likes

A Labor Day bbq we were invited to got rained out, so we picked up hosting duties for our gang. I made mac salad based on a good friend’s recipe, then added a Greek-ish salad cuz I felt we needed more veggies. Our guests brought a cauli casserole/gratin dish & a side of salmon we baked in the oven.

20 Likes

Please share!

A couple of celebratory “We survived the summer in food service on the Jersey Shore” martinis. I’m glad it’s over. Bring on fall.

And there were chicken tacos.

15 Likes

1 lb elbow macaroni

1 cup mayo

Couple tblsp sour cream

Couple tblsp cider vinegar

½ lemon - juiced

1 or 2 Tsp sugar

Dried mustard

Celery salt

Black pepper

Creole salt

Green olives, chopped

½ red bell pepper, chopped

½ red onion, chopped

Celery , chopped

Chopped fresh parsley

I’ve never added the green olives.

5 Likes

You know it!

perfect treatment! i’m going to remember this one…

This looks absolutely delicious. Can you post the meatball recipe?

Sure. I think this is an amalgamation of different kofte recipes I’ve tried over the years.

1 lb. ground lamb
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 T. grated or minced onion
3 T. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (*sub up to 1/3 c. grated and wrung zucchini)
1/2 T. ground cinnamon
1 t. kosher salt
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. ground allspice
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1/4 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. ground black pepper
1/4 c. (up to 1/2 c.) fresh bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten

I’m pretty sure I had coriander in there at some point, but decided I liked it better without. If I’m feeling fancy, I’ll add currants and/or toasted pine nuts.

Enjoy!

6 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Tonight we had a white chicken and artichoke lasagna (inspired by @pilgrim , I think it was, on the lasagna thread) with leftover veggie sides. I used TJ’s butternut squash soup, lightly spiced and thickened up with roux, for the sauce, alternating with a mornay sauce with ground chicken, artichoke hearts, artichoke spread, ricotta, mozz, and Parm Regg.

26 Likes

Thank you! Will definitely make this.

1 Like

Seafood chowder with locally caught shrimp and Alaskan sockeye salmon. Homemade focaccia.

Leeks, potatoes, green beans, chives and bay from the garden.

20 Likes

I’m in! Will bring own plate and fork!

1 Like

Baby, it was HOT today! Low 90s. Well, we’re wimps in San Francisco! So a big salad out in the yard. Butter lettuce, tomato, hard boiled eggs, swizzled ham, sweet onion, EVOO, banyuls vinegar. Just right.
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 6.40.18 PM

17 Likes

Barilla no-boil noodles worked very well. I will probably repurchase.

2 Likes

I will too!