What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at Bistro D’Azur in South Orange, NJ, including whole branzino with ratatouille; lamb chops; octopus with hummus; lobster crepe; watermelon, feta, jambon, and arugula salad; and Spanish chips. It all went great with an excellent cabernet and cabernet/shiraz blend.

13 Likes

It was a long day. Fortunately I had a Bombay gibson rocks and baby shrimp cocktail on Wheat Thins earlier before I got involved in a project. Late dinner, salad of mixed greens, red onion, cherry tomatoes from the garden, garbanzos, salami, burrata with a pesto dressing. I need my heating pad.

21 Likes

It sounds delicious. Thank you for the recipe! I have to try it at home sometime.

1 Like

I got home late from grocery shopping yesterday so I opted for a dinner that could be reheated in the microwave. I started with stuffed vine leaves that I picked up from the Lebanese grocery store then I had a rice pilaf leftover from last Thursday’s take out and chicken skewers from Costco. I had a couple of baklavas for dessert. A vodka martini was involved.

18 Likes

Last night’s dinner was my version of a California Roll (Sushi). Being in the desert, fresh crab is hard to find and rather expensive, so I use imitation crab. It’s fine and my girlfriend loves sushi, so all good. I told her next time Ahi Tuna steaks are on sale, I make her some real sushi.

21 Likes

How is it already September? Have been absent here for about a week. Work has been INSANE as this summer winds down. Had fully intended to photograph dinners over the last few nights, but just did not have the energy. Today, the insanity comes to [pretty much] an end at our busy establishment on the Jersey Shore. If I survive the day, I can see a celebratory martini in my future. BF is making chicken tacos.

Last night, made one of my epic Italian grilled chicken sandwiches. Delicious. Ah, I did manage one pic of the chicken searing in our massive (seriously, you could use it in place of weights at the gym) and ancient stainless steel pan that has been referred to as “Big Daddy” over the years.

The night before, I made an old favorite which was thinly sliced chicken breasts rolled around asparagus and cheese (Asiago in this case), dusted with breadcrumbs and baked. I normally use cheddar or provolone, but wanted to try Asiago for its slower-melting properties and sharp bite. Well, it melted perfectly, all ooey gooey without leaking everywhere but the sharpness was WAY too strong, even for me. Totally turned me off. Win some, lose some. What else was eaten in September so far? There was Chinese takeout one night, Arroz con Pollo (becoming a weekly thing), and I think BF made beef stew.

There were cocktails. It gets me through these long, sometimes relentless days knowing I am coming home to a quality beverage.

19 Likes

Mrs. P was too exhausted to cook tonight. Our new fur baby is zapping all of her energy. He is like the Ever ready bunny :grinning: We enjoyed our usual excellent takeout from Don Pepe II including seafood stuffed lobsters and avocado, and paella Valenciana. We also had some leftover Spanish chips from last night. The best part is that there enough leftovers for the rest of the week. It all went great with an excellent Amarone.

18 Likes

Dinner tonight was arroz a la tumbada, a seafood and rice stew originating from Veracruz. I used Rick Bayless’s recipe in More Mexican Everyday as my outline but deviated thusly:

• used two pureed cups of my own roasted tomato salsa
  • left out the fresh mussels and clams, but kept the cod and shrimp
  • because I left those out, I made a shrimp bouillon (a somewhat wine heavy one at that) that I spiked with three dried, toasted chipotles
  • the addition of a tin of smoked oysters. The oil was used to fry the salsa puree and the oysters were added to heat through at the end

While the day was a bit laborious (ironically), the end result was absolutely worth it, particularly on a chilly, rainy evening. And, we have leftovers for tomorrow, including extra bouillon for thinning out the stew, as I’m sure the rice will absorb all of it tonight.

25 Likes

This looks just marvelous!

3 Likes

That looks delicious.

2 Likes

Thank you! It was just what tonight’s weather called for!

A one-and-done recipe from Bon Appetit/Epicurious.

I had picked up some new-to-me paccheri pasta at Home Goods and went looking for recipes. I thought their “Paccheri Pasta with Braised Chicken and Saffron Cream” would work.

Nope. A very bland tasting dish and visually unappealing. But at least now I know. There are other paccheri recipes I’ve printed out.

Yeah, there was wine. Back to the grind in the morning.

18 Likes

I recommend the recipe (or similar ones; Bayless’s on line version diverges from the book in that you add cooked rice at the end instead of cooking the rice in the stew. I like the body the starch adds.)! Great stuff for the fall.

One of the best paccheri dishes I’ve eaten is in a simple tomato sauce with small-cubed fresh mozzarella added just before serving. Rao’s would work, but Hazan’s is the kind of simple I mean.

4 Likes

I’m visiting a friend and her family at the Jersey shore for the weekend. They’re from South Philly, and today one of them made tomato sauce with meatballs over spaghetti, and another made a stacked caprese salad to start, with an intense fresh basil dressing. There was fresh italian bread to sop up all the good stuff. Delicious! Especially after a glorious day at the beach.

23 Likes

We had our friends over on this rainy holiday. We started with homemade baba ghanoush and a bunch of “things from jars and cans” - Kalamata olives, cornichon, hummus, quinoa-stuffed dolmas, lavash, crackers, pistachios, and spiced cashews. Two bottles of Pinot Noir were downed before we moved on to a Tuscan red. The main meal was chicken vertically roasted over CSA new potatoes, okra, garlic, onion, lemon wedges, and garden herbs. Sides of cucumber, watermelon, tomato, and radish salad with feta, Meyer lemon oo, and mint, more lavash, and sauteed zucchini with coriander and smoked red pepper. Dessert was a slightly underdone fig, walnut, and honey cake adapted from Ina Garten, served up with decaf Earl Grey.

25 Likes

Gorgeous! Both food and scenery!

3 Likes

Zucchini-lamb kofte (redux). Tzatziki. Homemade soft pita wraps. Greek salad.

Cukes, shallots, tomatoes, and green peppers from the garden.

21 Likes

Today was a shorts and sandals day on the So. Oregon coast. Grilled an Asian pork burger with slaw and sriracha mayo on a toasted French sandwich roll. Alexia sweet potato fries with more sriracha mayo for dipping and charred shishitos. Hard cider.

19 Likes

As for any new fur baby. Requires . Lobster, paella and wine .

2 Likes