What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

Lamb roasted in Georgian spice blend, cranberry sauce and white wine, and my mixed feta, leek and mixed greens (dandelion, kale, spinach, Swiss chard from the garden) feta thing. Basically spanakopita sans filo.

16 Likes

Sole Meunière, Hasselback fingerlings, roasted green beans

I will probably do a repeat of the sole tomorrow. Might turn what remain of the green beans and potatoes into a salad though…

19 Likes

“Hey Ma, can we get some meatloaf? Hey Ma, the meatloaf! We want it now! What is she doing?”

I’m making the damn meat loaf late is what I was doing because I didn’t get out of work when I had hoped. Because, you know what happens when the :poop: hits the fan. :woman_shrugging:

Ground beef and pork, an egg, Worcestershire sauce, a healthy schprinkle of a garlic-herb blend, dried parsley, s/p and Panko crumbs were all whomped together and then free formed in a pan to bake at 350° for about 1 hour, 15 minutes. Had to drain the fat 2x. Some Char-Siu sauce was brushed on for the last 20 minutes or so to give it a nice glaze.

Sour creamy mashed potatoes and peas alongside. Because meat loaf demands both under Section IV, sub-paragragh 4.18e of the Meat Loaf Law.

21 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Tonight I made chicken fajitas, a street corn-ish salad with raw COTC, feta, Tajín, oo, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, and cucumbers, and chipotle-honey glazed CSA carrots.

19 Likes

One-pan beans and rice with homemade kielbasa sausages. Scallion corn bread.

Peppers and onions (all types) from the garden.

16 Likes

Risi e bisi - the low effort risotto with carnaroli rice, pancetta, peas, onion, garlic, white wine, parmesan, chicken broth, parmesan and parsley

17 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a basa fillet broccoli curry. Its the first time I’ve made this curry and it’s a keeper.

12 Likes

Kimchi jjigae

15 Likes

Leftovers to the rescue — the last of the chicken curry with chapatis from the freezer and rice that I cooked while eating the chapatis.

I’m working my way through a cauliflower, so I made some using a recipe from the October COTM that didn’t look like much but was an absolute flavor bomb.

17 Likes

6 Likes

Sometimes you just have to smile . I was driving to a job yesterday and spotted a Weber smokey Joe 14 inch barbecue out in a free pile along the road with other free items . I came back from the job and pulled along side . It was used once . Quickly grabbed it and into the bed of the truck.
Was having my after work beer at the local pub . Sitting next to Steve the master sausage maker . Shooting the shit . His girlfriend saw me the day before ogling the currywurst he had made for the bar waitress. He said I’ll bring you some tomorrow. It’s a family recipe from Germany. Let alone his world class bratwurst.
Was back there today at the pub . He says I got something for you. It was the currywurst with egg noodles to cook . He said it was his favorite way to eat it over the noodles.
I turned and said I have something for you I have a Weber smokey Joe to take on your Elk hunting trip next week. I gave it to him . He was going to buy one .Here ya go .
The smile came over his face .

Currywurst over egg noodles with coleslaw and a radish garnish. Out of this world. I was immediately transported back to Germany.

27 Likes

Before I got to the end I thought for sure you were going to say you cooked the currywurst on the Smokey Joe but your ending was even better. I love trades when both sides win.

8 Likes

Love the very timely trade!

6 Likes

Leftovers of Vietnamese noodles (except with udon) last night after being away for the weekend and not having time to food shop (well, B went and grabbed some Arctic char for him and Spring Onion but he’s not our household’s regular food shopper). I wasn’t going to post but the funny thing is, Spring Onion said, “hey, you never photograph my dinner!”

So here it is (bottom photo). Threw some steamed broccoli topped with chili garlic sauce and sautéed CSA blue oyster mushrooms in B’s bowl for good measure.

21 Likes

Very cool story! :clap:

1 Like

Last night was chicken and mushroom stir-fry along with a couple of steamed BBQ chicken bao from the Asian market.

18 Likes

I’m jonesing to do a meat loaf this week too. I think it’s the transition from summer to fall that’s putting those thoughts in my head.

2 Likes

Great story! How did you sauce those noods? Looks like maybe a beef broth gravy w/mushrooms or onions?

1 Like

Steve had the brats in Tupperware with the curry sauce . I heated the currywurst in a pan covered . Removed the brat and tossed in the egg noodles to cost.

3 Likes