What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

Got it. I don’t know the first thing about sausages. I assumed that currywurst meant the curry spices were in the meat.

1 Like

Me either. Had ai known I may not have jumped to the conclusion that @emglow101 was going to grill the sausages.

2 Likes

Currywurst is traditionally a skinless sausage that is fried on the flattop, then topped with ketchup and curry powder. It was invented in Berlin. Great drunk food and, TBH, I’d never have thought of having it with anything but hot fries fresh out of the fryer & ample amounts of mayo to dip them in.

Thanks to @emglow101 for taking this into a different stratosphere altogether!

3 Likes

Like a Madras style yellow curry powder?

1 Like

Well, it’s Berlin, so… whatever curry powder the owner of any given currywurst stand/shop uses. Some are fancy-like and throw together their own, some also make their own sauce, which is still generally ketchup-based, and can vary in degrees of heat.

There’s even an abomination called “curry ketchup,” but the less said about it, the better…

2 Likes

One of our local burger joints has a pump of curry ketchup. I haven’t been tempted!

1 Like

We like it here :rofl:

4 Likes

I like ketchup and I like curry. Not so sure about the combo!

2 Likes

It’s a great combo

3 Likes

Thanks, @linguafood, for curry wurst lesson. It’s definitely something I would try should I ever come across it.

1 Like

It’s pretty good. Quite a few of my South Asian friends like it.

I bought a locally made curry ketchup this summer, don’t love it. Probably will give it to my friend who takes on some condiments I buy that I don’t like.

I don’t like ketchup much , in general. I add curry powder to mayo.

1 Like

I was just going to more or less do a complete re-do of last night, since I have a package of very nice grey sole filets to finish up. However, I decided at the last minutes to go in a different direction. So tonight, dinner was sole in Bengali mustard sauce, adapted from Madhur Jaffrey - https://laweekly.com/a-recipe-from-the-chef-madhur-jaffreys-salmon-in-bengali-mustard-sauce/ Served with roasted, smashed purple potatoes and green beans. Just what I needed after a long work day!

Since the sole is much thinner than the salmon called for in the recipe, I just added it in a layer, covered the pan and turned everything down to as low as my burner would let me. Then I checked it at 5 minutes and it was good to go. Great, fast recipe!

14 Likes

I made Tuscan chicken served over pasta. I added shallot, fresh herbs, evaporated milk, and some TJ’s umami seasoning and served it over ww penne. Subbed CSA red kale for spinach. We liked it but the kiddo wasn’t persuaded. Sigh. He ate the ham and cheese sandwich he rejected for lunch :sweat_smile:

15 Likes

I found this out the hard way, by ordering one in Berlin. I despise ketchup and even the (extremely un-scharf) curry powder couldn’t redeem it!

As I said - some places make their own sauce, but the (low) standard is ketchup & curry powder or curry ketchup :nauseated_face:.

My favorite used to be in the underpass of S-Bahnhof Friedrichstrasse, “Bier’s Curry & Spieße.” That sauce was complex and had a really nice kick.

TBH, it’s silly to expect any culinary revelation from what is essentially drunk food :smiley:

1 Like

Boring but tasty roasted BISO chicken thighs brushed with olive oil and Penzey’s lemon pepper seasoning: iceberg, FM tomatoes, Persian cukes, radishes & what I could save from a crappy avocado in ranchy dressing.

IMG_0268

14 Likes

My husband had the worst case of food poisoning ever (sick over a week) after eating Currywurst from a U-bahn station stand iin Berlin. Lucky for me, I passed.

1 Like

Ouch. That would keep me from ever having it again. OTOH, food poisoning can getcha anywhere.

I met up with friends at an upscale bar in D.C. where I had deviled eggs with my aperitif. I got violently ill within a half hour & we had to cancel our rez for China Chilcano that evening.

I don’t seek out currywurst or döner. They sometimes ‘happen’ late at night :wink:

Nothing like a currywurst extra-scharf mit Pommes rot-weiß at 2am at Curry 36 after a beer-soaked pool tournament :yum:

1 Like

Well, at least he’s learning it’s all relative :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Soup and open cheesetoast for dinner.

Soup was the last bit of roasted butternut squash from last week, a small carrot, aromatics, and the bone from my pork chop earlier in the week, all cooked for a while in the pressure cooker. Pureed, cooked a bit more, and topped with toasted sunflower seeds and fried onions.

Cheesetoast was the last of my homemade bread from two weeks ago topped with the Red Leicester cheddar I bought and didn’t like (yet couldn’t bring myself to waste). Almost gone.

There was round 2 of both.

15 Likes