What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

In honor of National Pancake Day, dinner tonight was Veggie Fritters with corn, peas, onions, carrots, celery & cheese. I topped them with a little sour cream. Both yummy and very filling!!

18 Likes

Tonight was an app night. Born out of a recent trip to Trader Joe’s and also a chance to cleanse the fridge and freezer. By no means do these go together, and not all photographed. There was:

-An Italian meat sampler of prosciutto, salami, and capicola. Leftover fresh Mozz with Asiago purchased for the occasion.

-A couple of mom’s stuffed artichokes.

-TJ’s mini pumpkin samosas from. NOT pumpkin spice, but actual pumpkin, Indian spices, and paneer. The combo worked. I’d buy again.

-TJ’s butternut squash mac and cheese bites. Not great. Good texture and composition, and they didn’t explode in the air fryer, but not much flavor of squash nor cheese. Would not buy again.

-The rest of an opened package of scallion pancakes from H-Mart.

Was there more? I don’t know. A couple of gin martinis into the evening.

14 Likes

WOW! Homemade blueberry vareniki for dinner!

That just gave me an intense flashback to when I lived in Poland (Peace Corps) and a local family who often had me over for dinner, served me fruit pierogi when the fruit were in season (they made blueberry, cherry and then plum, as I recall.) I was so astounded the first time it happened: Fruit?! Dumplings?! For?! DINNER?!?! But of course I came around quickly :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Quick stew with sweet potatoes, yellow peppers, mushrooms, scallions, tomatoes, thyme and rosemary - served with yoghurt (mixed with lemon zest and juice) and alfalfa sprouts.

13 Likes

Alfa sprouts as garnish.

I will need to remember that.

6 Likes

I could jump into a bowl of that. I have been making a vegetarian stew for years that is heavy on sweet potatoes, black beans, carrots, garbanzos, onions, garlic, multicolored bell peppers, tomatoes and the usual warm chili spices. A pinch of cinnamon! We have it on top of Israeli couscous. Sometimes if my husband catches a striped bass, I’ll cut one of the filets up into chunks and throw it in for the last few minutes of cooking. A very forgiving firm white fish.

3 Likes

In my book, chopping celery and carrot sticks to go with counts as making dinner.

7 Likes

I’ve oft done blueberry and cherry, but never plums. I’ll have to try it.

1 Like

I’m up for the challenge!

Picture #1: shrimp on greens, broccoli rabe, white strips may or may not be sliced king oyster mushrooms?

Picture #2: shrimp on greens, hot pepper too big to be bird’s eye chilis and too small to be jalapenos.

Both pictures look tasty!

1 Like

I didn’t have a chance to take pictures but I just had to get one on the challah The Spout made for Rosh Hashanah. She has been making our Rosh Hashanah challahs for a while now. This year she used Jake Cohen’s recipe from his jew-ish cookbook and followed his 8 strand braiding technique. It was both beautiful and delicious.

24 Likes

#1 You nailed the mushrooms, but those are actually blowfish tails. And I have no idea what cruciferous vegetable that is, but…

broccoli

it ain’t broccoli rabe. It was unlabeled at the Greenmarket.

#2 Anaheims.

I was pretty happy, but next time I’ll filet the blowfish tails. The bone is somewhere between sardine spine and “regular” bone, i.e. too hard to eat, too soft to easily remove.

5 Likes

I mean, I’m sitting here craving wings and spaghetti with meatballs now @retrospek, so you’re definitely doing something right!

3 Likes

Took a whirlwind trip to PGH yesterday to see Chris Rock, and went to Kaya, a Caribbean place on the strip before the show.

The conch fritters with habanero lime sauce were faboski.

WFD tonight: lazy, hungover takeout from our favorite Chinese place — spicy bok choy & house special fried rice.

12 Likes

I think it’s broccolini

1 Like

Except that the stem is very thick, unlike any broccolini I’ve ever seen.

Hmmm…

That is a really big stem. I missed the bottom half of the picture. Now I’m not sure what it is either, Were the stems tough?

Toward the bottom. I peeled them.

I’m going to have to pay more attention. I’m not really a big broccolini fan. I’m not sure why as I love broccoli.

This tasted a lot closer to broccoli than broccolini. For what it’s worth.

1 Like