What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

Greek/Armenian dinner: grilled zukes, eggplant, lamb chops from our share, tzatziki, TJ’s gigantes in tomato sauce (not pictured). I was worried that the eggplant was both underdone and burnt, but it was perfect – even if it doesn’t look it.

20 Likes

I woke up with it in my brain.
I tried to tell my brain NO.
It’s Too. Damn. Hot.
She would not be denied.
Bitch.
So I turned down my AC.

Meat loaf (I went very basic: ground beef, ground pork, an egg, Worcestershire sauce, Panko crumbs, s/p, dried minced onion, and lots of dried parsley).

Mashed sour cream potatoes and peas. (Because it’s the law you have to have mashed and peas with meat loaf.) And a quick gravy from beef stock, herbs, garlic powder, s/p, and flour/cornstarch thickener.

Wine.

And there will be meat loaf sandwiches for work lunches.

I also made chicken corn chowder for lunches and my freezer.

27 Likes

I see a small butter lake on your potatoes.

2 Likes

There was a good bit more already mashed into the potatoes :wink: along with heavy cream AND sour cream.

If I die, it’ll be with good mashed potatoes in my belly.

11 Likes

Diri Djondjon (Haitian Black Mushroom Rice with Shrimp). Very good, although the mushroom flavor was a lot more subtle than expected. A work in progress.

22 Likes

Zucchini pizza with basil pesto and fresh mozzarella. Garden tomatoes and kalamata olives on the side.

My first time making this combo, it was seriously good. I looked at two recipes – one from Serious Eats and another from Food52. In the end, I went with Lahey’s no-knead recipe for the crust, topped with homemade pesto, parm, lo-moisture mozz, fresh mozz and hard-wrung zucchini shreds. 10 minutes in a 550 degree oven (convection setting) on a pizza stone. The red pepper flakes on top are a must, and the tomatoes went very well with it.

Am putting this on my “must make” list for zucchini season going forward.

23 Likes

Pinto bean chili verde with Hatch chiles and chicken. Tortilla chips, avocado, radishes. Perfect for a foggy day.

21 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

I’ve sometimes been able to correct storebought potato salad or coleslaw with some lemon juice or white balsamic.

2 Likes

My fisherman spouse used the rest of his first striped bass of the summer in a stew tonight

We have leftovers for supper tomorrow - this was the recipe he used https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012535-easy-fish-stew-with-mediterranean-flavors

25 Likes

Chili with ground beef, chunks of beef chuck, ted kidney beans, green pepper, tomatoes, onions, garlic, different chilies (ancho, new Mexico, jalapeño), thyme, cayenne, paprika, bay leaf, basil, allspice, soy sauce, red wine and beef broth cooked for 3.5 hours at 300F. Served over rice and finished with sour cream

17 Likes

Last night camping - we made pulled chicken burritos with the works (black beans, corn, avocado, salsa, sour cream, and cheese), Caprese salad, leftover COTC, and doctored sweet kale salad.

Melty ice cream over FM peaches topped with salted caramel sauce for dessert.

23 Likes

Nice fish! Thanks for including the recipe. I’m always looking for new ways to cook fish.

2 Likes

Family visiting. Big salad of farmers market veggies: two kinds of green beans, cukes, tomatoes and cherry tomatoes, radishes plus artichoke hearts, black olives and feta. Served with sourdough anchovy croutons I made with my nephew and smoked chicken from the farmers market.

26 Likes

That looked really good.

2 Likes

Thank you. It was delicious.

1 Like

Jerk chicken skewers (using Daring “chicken”) with tomatoes for COTQ. Leftover okra from Friday’s dinner. Fresh batch of rice.

19 Likes

We used half bottled clam juice and half boxed chicken broth in place of the amount of water called for. The vegetables took longer to cook than the recipe says. We added the pieces of fish whole to poach in the liquid when the veggies were tender so it didn’t flake into tiny pieces. We’re going to add some mussels to it the next time!

8 Likes

You put all mortal campers to shame! This weekend we went camping too and our single dinner was hot dogs and a bag of lays. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a corn risotto. This is what summer is all about.

21 Likes