What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

I do 4 min for 1 ear + 2 min for each additional. The most I do is 3 or 4 at a time.

4 Likes

Good to see you back!

2 Likes

Partly inspired by the berbere shrimp recipe in the current COTM, and partly by @LindaWhit’s peach and shrimp skewers upthread. I used Daring “chicken” instead of shrimp. The berbere was the same as from the day before, a hybrid between the Mourad and Bryant Terry recipes. Served with leftover bean and tomato salad and yellow rice.

24 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was beef teriyaki with steamed broccoli, carrots and rice.

16 Likes

Salmon (Faroe Island) teriyaki, rice noodles, green beans from the garden, corn on the cob and mixed salad.

I was in the mood for Chinese takeout but have been trying to watch my salt & calories, and have zero willpower, so decided to splurge on Faroe Island salmon and a bottle of Stonewall Kitchen sesame ginger teriyaki sauce instead of take-out. Realize Stonewall Kitchen is Americanized. I made a teriyaki from scratch 2 weeks ago from JustOneCookbook. I like many variations of teriyaki.

12 Likes

Used to boil; microwave it now. (If I had a grill, I’d also do that, but I don’t, so I don’t.) it’s SO much better - easy-peasy, silk comes off cleanly.

3 Likes

I ended up moving you, @honkman, @ottawaoperadiva, @Phoenikia and @MelMM when I saw them on #83. But I can delete the dupes (the moved ones) so we don’t have double posts.

3 Likes

Two days ago we foraged mushrooms and made a big ol’ pile of pappardelle with mascarpone, bacon, red onion, and grilled chicken. Shroomies sauteed in butter and herbs and piled on top. Steamed broccoli with Meyer lemon oil. I’m officially on the portion control wagon after this blowout (and checking the scale). DH is fired from plating :joy:

PXL_20220802_210722978~2

17 Likes

Last night I made lemongrass chicken meatballs in turmeric coconut broth w/rice noodles and tomato salad dressed in nuoc cham. Everyone enjoyed! :raised_hands:t2:

21 Likes

Okra cou-cou with creole sauce and “tofish” from Caribbean Vegan by Taymer Mason.

23 Likes

Vietnamese Chicken Salad — classic with purple and green cabbage, mint, cilantro, 5-spice chicken, peanuts, nuoc cham, etc. I added some sriracha cause why not and my gf added a sea snail shell (not to eat) from the east coast since we don’t get them out here.

24 Likes

Sounds delicious! Recipe please?

2 Likes

WFD last night was another fun HO group dinner in Brooklyn - this time it was Goan food.

So delicious, and so much food, that I haven’t eaten yet today! (But I will… I have faith!)

Report and pics here:

14 Likes

Messy quesadillas and a beer. The perfect way to end a great day.

22 Likes

Messy food is good food. Unless you’re wearing white.

4 Likes

I had several chicken tenders in the freezer which needed using. These were marinated a few hours - yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, garlic - and quickly pan fried. Served with homemade pita, humus and tzatziki – all leftover from earlier this week. Freshly picked Greek salad from the garden. The obligatory olives and feta.

23 Likes

It’s August and I just picked my first two ripe cherry tomatoes. Hallelujah!

Dinner was chicken Cordon Bleu, buttery peas, salad of mixed green, snap peas, greeen onion, radish and the pièce de résistance, two Sun Sugar cherry tomatoes. Creamy Greek dressing. Sangria. Snap peas are from the garden too.

25 Likes

BF made a Chef John recipe tonight - bread salad with FM tomatoes and Acme focaccia. Fresh mozz on the side, and milanesa, with a lemony caper sauce. COTC for me, too. Cal-Ital-ish.

Dessert was some of the leftover croutons for me. :pig:

24 Likes

Oops ! Also posted on WFD July, and the Help me make chiles rellenos thread.
Chiles rellenos casserole

Very low carb, very high fat.

27 Likes

Go you, and go Gregory!

1 Like