What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

Seared marinated chicken breasts, fresh Mozzarella, a gorgeous tomato, roasted red peppers, and balsamic glaze on seeded semolina. Perfect sandwich for a hot summer night.

Mom joined us tonight so three cocktails. All different colors. All gin.

29 Likes
11 Likes

WFD tonight was sauerbraten, red cabbage, and spaetzle. This is a once or twice a year thing at the request of my older son who loves it, but who has time and space to pickle a roast for a week?

19 Likes

Simple, really low effort casserole - cut up potatoes, carrots and leeks, mix in dish. Pour mixture of cream, milk, thyme, nutmeg, salt and pepper over it and put in 395F oven for 45 minutes. (And if you are fancy you can add some chopped hazelnuts for the last 5 minutes to have some additional texture.)

20 Likes

What? The “free” part?

So tradish, and well-presented. I love this meal.

1 Like

Simple, looks like it tastes pretty dang good. Keep it simple. Saves food from ruin. Love the hazelnuts, too.

2 Likes

One of my fave phrases, too. Brutti ma buoni is a useful description for a lot of what I cook. And I have never even made the cookies that go by that name, LOL.

4 Likes

Martini, Last Word, Blackberry Bramble? Just spitballin’ ovah heah…

2 Likes

Good guesses!

Martini, Elderflower Gimlet, and my BF’s new favorite which is gin, Fever Tree elderflower tonic, and muddled blackberries and basil.

6 Likes

Of course.

Am I the last person in the world to discover microwaved COTC?? Tried it for the first time and it’s a game changer for me. I have trouble with my hands and the husks and silk came off so much more easily than when raw, plus no pan to painfully wash out. On top of all that the corn tasted cornier, if that makes sense, even though I never boiled it in a big pan of water in the past, only steamed it. Fresh picked corn from the farm, my first this season, heavily buttered and utterly delicious!

15 Likes

my sister got me doing that last summer and it’s the only way now!

6 Likes

What is your formula for multiple ears? I did one at a time.

2 Likes

well it’s only ever been 2… me and the BF or me and my sister. I just do 4 minutes - for one ear or for two.

5 Likes

Yeah, 3.5-4 min here as well.

5 Likes

Halibut fish taco redux.

Also, today’s ration of fresh corn. Day 6 of the harvest. By Sunday night it will all be over.

16 Likes

Fish sticks is wfd. Calamari steak, dredged in seasoned flour, egg, panko and fried. Tartar sauce. Cofftc, onions, peppers, butter, parsley. Salad of mixed greens, celery, red onion, pickled beets, mushrooms, brutal blue and ranch dressing.

18 Likes

Posted on the old thread . Jet lag brain :crazy_face:

Our first home cooked meal had to be ‘murrcan: cheeborgerz, fries & our first COTC of the season.

The boygas were the best I’ve had in a while — but at least in the last 3 months: TJ’s organic ground beef MR, Wegmans’ sharp American, Aldi’s sesame brioche buns, mayo, shredded iceberg, red onion, sliced pickle.

The fries were good, but I still prefer L&W. Kewpie & Simply Heinz with.

Finally, the first COTCOTMFS was ok. A lil pale perhaps. I liked that it wasn’t sweet AF, but my darling wasn’t a fan. I’ll have to get some at the FM on Friday. And many, many tomatoes :relaxed:

12 Likes

Spaghetti with tomato sugo (made with pancetta. celery, onion, garlic, rosemary, tomato pasta, tomato passata and some pasta water to get creamy consistency- finished with some parmesan, pine nuts and sour cream

12 Likes