Indian Table Restaurant Week Goan [NYC / Brooklyn]

I have a table for 8 reserved next Wednesday eve 8/3 at 7pm. I gave the folks who went to Wu’s a couple of weeks ago first shot at joining me and we have 1 opening left. So far, the 7 who are in are me, my wife, vinouspleasure, saregama, ninkat, small_h & Dave Cook.
Indian Table is on Court St in Cobble Hill & has a $45pp price fixed Restaurant Week menu that looks very good, but I believe is optional, so people can order off the regular menu instead if they want. https://indiantableny.com. Several of us have eaten there in the recent past and, obviously, like it enough to return.
So… let me know if you want to be the 8th at this table. First one to respond gets it.

1 Like

I’ll repeat what I said offline – this RW menu is a spectacular selection of Goan food that is neither on the restaurant’s regular menu nor available anywhere else in NYC (or really outside Goa and maybe Mumbai – that I’ve come across anyway), and I’m very excited about it!

I will say it from the perspective of someone who live on the west coast right next to a very large Indian community- Goan food is very hard to find, even here. I’d come eat if I don’t live so far away.

1 Like

If there’s still a spot I would love to join in.

You are in! It’ll be good to finally meet you after 20+ years on CH, etc. See you Wednesday.

Dinner last night was great. Thank you Saregama for working with both the chef and manager to make it more of a “family style” service. I’ll wait for those who took photos to post since “a picture is worth…”

Saregama started another thread for this dinner report. Here’s a link in case the moderators don’t merge the two:
https://www.hungryonion.org/t/nyc-ho-group-dinner-at-indian-table-brooklyn/30552

Good point - I hope the mods merge them! Sorry!

We had another delicious HO group dinner, this time at Indian Table in Brooklyn, which @SteveR has praised may times since it opened and @ninkat has been there many times as well (it had been on my own list since it opened, but then… pandemic).

We were intrigued by the Goan menu Indian Table was offering for Restaurant Week. The chef is Goan, but there are only a few Goan dishes on the regular menu. The entire RW menu, on the other hand, showcased Goan food as a special event. The chef was very kind and accommodated 8 of us for a family-style meal curated from that menu.

The food was superb - had I closed my eyes to the lovely Brooklyn backyard we were seated in, my taste buds might have thought I was in Mumbai or Goa.

Here’s what we ate:

Appetizers:
Lulas – Masala Squid Stuffed with Shrimp
Mantecato Cod – Bacalhau (Dried Cod) Balchao on Toast
Sardines Masala Fry – Spice Paste-Coated Fried Sardines
Feijoada – Goan (Blood) Sausage with Kidney Beans

Mains:
Fish Amot Tik – Sour Fish Curry with Toddy Vinegar, Feni, Raw Mango, and Mangosteen
Alambe Xacuti – Wild Mushrooms in a Coconut and Poppy Seed Gravy
Remo’s Pork Ribs “Aad Maas” – Spice-Coated Pork Ribs (flambeed tableside)
Lamb Chop Bafado – Lamb Chops in a Green Masala Gravy

Sides:
Malabar Paratha
Coconut Rice

Dessert:
Fig Ice Cream
Baath / Batica / Baatka – Goan Semolina-Coconut Cake (we brought this)

@SteveR @DaveCook @ninkat @vinouspleasure @small_h @JenKalb

2 Likes

My 2c on the various dishes (and amateur pics before @DaveCook adds his professional ones!)

Appetizers:

Lulas / Squid – Good flavor, but unfortunately the squid was overcooked and rubbery.

Mantecato Cod / Balchao Toasts – I LOVE balchao, and this was a fun and tasty take on it

— I forgot to take a picture!

Sardines Masala Fry – Spicing was very good, but they were hard to eat

Feijoada / Goan (Blood) Sausage – I’ve only eaten this cooked with potato to soak up the flavors, but the beans worked well. They served us pao / bread rolls with this which was also good to offset the intense flavor.

Mains:

Fish Amot Tik – Not what I was expecting (Ambot Tik is usually a thin, sour curry) but was very similar in flavor and texture to Balchao, which I love, so this was one of my favorite dishes

Alambe Xacuti / Mushrooms – Unusual both in that it was green Xacuti and in that it was offered vegetarian. Xacuti might be one of my death row dishes and this was a stellar one. My other favorite.

Remo’s Pork Ribs “Aad Maas” – Excellent, and a lot more quantity than we were expecting (but we didn’t leave any, that would have been wasteful!)

Lamb Chop Bafado – Excellent (but probably the least “Goan” in flavor profile for me). I love when there are potatoes added to dishes like this to soak up the flavors and complement the sauce.

Sides:

Malabar Paratha — What you’d expect (I’d guess these are frozen ones that are reheated / griddled in-house, would make sense)

Coconut Rice — Excellent.

Dessert:

Fig Ice Cream - figs are not my thing, but this was not overly figgy (read: good!)

Baath / Batica / BaatkaReported on the Baking thread.

7 Likes

Thanks @naf for merging!

1 Like

The meal looked so good, guess you all had fun!

2 Likes

Here are photos of two more menu items to complement @Saregama’s roundup: that mantecado cod, and pear chutney. I wish I had better photos of the mains, particularly the fish curry and the mushrooms, but at that point in the meal the tabletop was very crowded and the light had dimmed considerably. Instead I’ve added another photo of the sardines, which I found easier to eat than @Saregama did. Perhaps that’s because @JenKalb cut and I chose the tail, which offered a convenient handle as I nibbled down to the spine.

4 Likes

For sardines no bigger than these, am I the only one that just eats the bone?
I was surprised that I liked the ribs better than the fish.
The mushrooms were incredibly good.
The sausage/beans was also quite good.
And I liked the fig ice cream dessert.
Thank you saregama for baking the semolina cake & sharing it.

1 Like

No.

1 Like

Ginny & I have been back several times since our group dinner and I think the place keeps getting better. The saucing seems deeper & richer. At any rate, the Chicken Xacuti is one of the only Goan dishes on the regular menu and last night’s was excellent. Not that my Goat Dum Biryani wasn’t really good, but this was the star of the show.

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: HO Dinner @Indian Table, 2/2/24, Cobble Hill, Brooklyn