What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

Tonight I made a recipe courtesy of @BeefeaterRocks: tequila-lime shrimp scampi. I subbed ramp butter for most of the garlic butter and saved the cilantro for garnish (not wild about it cooked). I also marinated the shrimp in a splash of tequila, pinch each of cornstarch and baking soda, and some salt and pepper before sauteing and deglazing with more tequila and mounting with butter. So, no, I didn’t follow the recipe much at all. Served over converted rice cooked in homemade broth with sauteed spinach and garden tomatoes on the side. I would definitely make the shrimp again.

19 Likes

:joy::rofl:

Story of my (cooking) life :grin:

4 Likes

My usual thought process when reading a recipe is, “hmm…no.”
:joy:

4 Likes

Made Spaghetti Alla Nerano with some adjustments. I roasted the zucchini in a 450F oven after tossing with some olive oil. Having no fresh basil at hand, they were dusted with kosher salt and dried basil when they came out of the oven. I used a 50/50 mix of Parmesan and Pecorino for the cheese. Garnished with parsley at the end. But still came out really well, even if the pasta water and cheese fought the emulsion at every possible step. If you have a lot of late season zucchini, this is a good recipe to have in your pocket (maybe peel and seed them depending on how mature they are at this point).

19 Likes

I really like this hack: https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/09/foolproof-cacio-e-pepe/

2 Likes

Thanks! I will keep it in mind!

1 Like

Recipes are merely a suggestion. Glad you liked what you came up with, it looks lovely, and thanks for the reminder. I need to make this again.

2 Likes

Salade niçoise. Sun Sugar tomatoes and French filet beans are from the garden.

Jungle Bird

21 Likes

Excellent pivot!

3 Likes

Noodle soup with pork and pickled greens:

21 Likes

Pad Kra Pao-ish - “ish” because i still haven’t got my mitts on holy basil but did find some shiso at the Asian mkt and decided to give it a try. Not bad! a little more minty than basil-y but not at all bad. BF did all the heavy lifting, including the two mini salads.

19 Likes

Sometimes I think my whole life is like this…

4 Likes

More crappy lighting.

Crying Tiger Thai beef on the grill with jaew dipping sauce. Cucumber salad. Steamed rice.

20 Likes

Thai inspired curry with chicken thighs and sweet potatoes - made with red curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, scallions, cilantro and peanuts. Served with jasmine rice and steamed snap peas.

16 Likes

Looks delicious!

2 Likes

Earlier in the week, I made way too much Spinach Pasta dough. So I served spinach pasta again, but this time with some baked pork and cream of mushroom soup as a sauce. My girlfriend really likes my homemade pasta… it was a win. She happily cleaned her plate!

11 Likes

really hoping you feel a better soon, and glad you feel well enough to be here and share food with us.

6 Likes

Supposed to go out to dinner with friends.
But we FINALLY got some rain.
I hate driving in rain.
Thought it would last longer than it did.
So I postponed dinner to next Friday.
Of course, I got out of work late, but the rain had stopped.
:woman_shrugging:

So I pulled out a small steak tip to defrost when I got home for my standard Friday night dinner of steak tip with Ballymaloe steak sauce, half a baked potato with the PSTOB&SC, and steamed green beans.

Several glasses of wine alongside.

22 Likes

Greek-inspired, grilled pork tenderloin (thanks to @linguafood for the guidance). Roasted garden veg with lemon and oregano. Olives and feta.

My first time grilling a tenderloin on our kamado-style grill, I was pleased enough with the result to make a note of how I did it (so I can repeat it).

There will be today’s peach and blueberry cake for dessert.

23 Likes

that cake is so moist and lovely!

2 Likes