What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

is that the Dorie everything cake?

Thank you!

1 Like

Yes, it is. My new favorite easy cake. :yum:

3 Likes

i was going to make a light fresh tomato pasta but it needed to sit for an hour and i got home late as it was, so BF took over and made cheesy patty melts (sans onions), frites, and a salad. Oof. sooo good but i really didn’t need to eat the whole thing!

23 Likes

Well @mariacarmen you had salad so it all evens out!

Bitterman’s “curried shrimp”.

There was fig shrub and soda stream.

21 Likes

Or Bittman?

1 Like

Yes! Thank you.

3 Likes

A beautiful night here . On the deck it’s 9 o’clock. 78 degrees. No shirt no shoes. Been doing this all summer. Reminds me of my younger days in Santa Cruz at the beach . Grilling chicken with a group of friends. Drinking beers , sun bathing, surfing, cute girls . In my twenties. Now it’s wine on the deck . Grilling. So nice.

25 Likes

that’s what i keep telling myself, but my clothes don’t believe it.

1 Like

Maeuntang - Korean fish stew with cod, kimchi, tofu, gochujang, gochugaru, zucchini, scallions, cilantro, garlic, ginger

13 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Oof! I wrote a post, and when I tried to edit, wound up deleting it by mistake.
Trying again.

Still in South India. Last night was a small at-home event: teenage relative’s classical music debut concert (South Indian classical vocal, with live instrument accompanists). Audience of friends and family with livestream link for those far away.
Went super well, fabulous launch, despite second-to-last minute panic caused by torrential rains that delayed everyone.

After party was a mix of tiffin-type snacks and dinner food.

Clockwise from lower right:
Semiya (vermicelli) upma; Bowl of bisibele bhaath (iconic Karnataka dish of rice+dal+veggies+spices); Jangiri (called Imarti in North India: squiggly fried sweet of urad dal batter); Vadai (savory urad dal donut); outside the plate, a bowl of Sambar to dunk the vadai in.
To drink: plain coconut water and masala chai (instead of the more traditional filter coffee).
Preformed palm leaf plate.

New-to-us caterer did a great job. Delicious and non-food-coma inducing meal.

21 Likes

We had a late afternoon snack and some apps yesterday at Lambertville Station. For us a snack, for others might qualify as “dinner time” since we normally eat very late. One of my favorite places for cocktails. The bar was not open yet so we grabbed a table. He tried a couple of local beers and I had an excellent Bombay Martini with quality olives.

To eat: we shared frizzled Brussels Sprouts with cashews in an Asian sauce that were actually amazing. Like mind-blowing good.

And there was also their version of pork belly Bao buns. Horrendous. I didn’t want to say so on Instagram but this was one of the worst dishes I’d been served in recent memory. Bone-dry and tough pork belly, disgustingly kimchi (like, gag-inducing), a weak American BBQ-like sauce, and an overpowering green of some kind tucked underneath. This place has never let us down over our many visits so not a big deal. Just can’t be too adventurous I guess.

Dinner was a pizza we picked up on the way home.

19 Likes

Too bad about the swing between the excellent Brussels Sprouts/Cashew, to the execrable Bao Buns.

5 Likes

Last night’s dinner was a throw-together meal. (Yesterday’s yard work took longer than expected.) So, I made up Chorizo Mac & Cheese with mixed vegetables. In hindsight, I should have drained off some of the fat (from the Chorizo) before adding it to the mac & cheese. Lesson learned. It was very tasty… but not healthy.

12 Likes

You took the words right out of my mouth :grinning:

1 Like

That looks delicious. I miss BBQ chicken. We don’t have a grill anymore so I try to do it in the oven, but it’s just not the same.

1 Like

Win some, lose some, I guess!

Tonight’s dinner was a beef pie from the pricey butcher and broccoli and corn from my CSA.

15 Likes